Raz's Word Bearers - Hell Follows With Them

RazakelXIII

Been here before, said it several times, but damn, that is a stunning looking army. I love the grime and grit of the paint scheme; they genuinely look ancient and somewhat nomadic; more like Chaos Warriors from the Northern climes of the Warhammer world than Space Marines. Stunning stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to thank you for this blog.  It really inspired me to go Word Bearers and I have to admit that I have taken some of your ideas and used them on my marines (candles, daemon head design and fleshy bits).  I am just using the normal CSM's instead of the Warrior of Chaos bits you used.  Also I am not going as dark as you are with the reds and washes.

Thank you again for inspiring me.

• 3 weeks later...

LPC UPDATE 1

Been a while, I've been painting on-and-off for the past month, working on my LPC vow. When I pledged the Land Raider was only half-basecoated in brown, and the Storm Eagle was still in pieces - they're a bit further along now but still not really close to being finished. The Land Raider looked like this about a week ago...

Land%2520Raider%2520PIP%25201.JPG

Now it looks like this (except less greenish, apparently my camera cannot into white balance). The spike racks have no paint on them at the moment, as I forgot them. Derp. I have no idea how I managed to do that considering how often I stabbed myself on those damn spikes. Anyway, still have to do fleshybits, script, battle damage, headlights/little green camera lens thingies, and, of course, spike racks. I may also bloodify the treads a bit.

Land%2520Raider%2520PIP%25202.JPG

The Storm Eagle, however, is still very RED.

Storm%2520Eagle%2520PIP%25201.JPG

I'll be highlighting it with Mephiston Red tomorrow and then I'll be washing the living Warp out of it.

On a non-LPC-related note, I've finished basing Mr. Dark Vengeance Chaos Lord, so he's completely done now. I still haven't decided what he is - I was going to demote my current II Cohort Captain to Cohort Champion, replacing him with this fellow, but he has a kind of Sorcerous vibe. I might cut his plasma hand off in the future (although I dig the face on this gun) and replace it with one of the GK "Force push" hands and GS some lightning or something. Yes, the Guardsman is trailing his own guts. And has no hands. I wasn't even in a bad mood the day I modeled this. *shrug*

DV%2520Chaos%2520Lord%25201.JPG

DV%2520Chaos%2520Lord%25202.JPG

DV%2520Chaos%2520Lord%25203.JPG

DV%2520Chaos%2520Lord%25204.JPG

I still have to finish basing the Helbrute but I haven't decided on much for his base other than "skull with helmet and lasgun." Less may or may not be more, I'll put a pic up once the Storm Eagle is a bit further along.

Love the dying Guardsmen. :) I cant wait to see what you come up with for the base of your Brute though. I love how your use of the heavy washes actually gives a weathered appearance to the Raider, I also believe it to be the best example of the WB colour scheme Ive seen.

Dangit, Raz, you gotta stop showing the rest of us up. This is embarassing. :tongue.:

Love that Guardsman on the DV Lord's base, and how he's being studiously ignored. "Yeah, you're not dead, but you're dead enough...on to the next sucker."

• 1 month later...

LPC Vow Complete

Been a slow month but I've finished the Land Raider and the Storm Eagle. C&C always welcome. I cannot for the life of me get a decent shot of the Storm Eagle. My lightbox is really too small for the thing and I don't have much space on my desk to fiddle with the lights themselves. I did not do the base and don't intend to for quite some time - I'll do that when I get around to rebasing the Hell Blades. I want to do something themed, wrecked/asploded Guard tanks probably, but I don't have bits for that at the moment, nor will I for the foreseeable future.

gallery_39401_2771_133530.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_100144.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_127566.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_109117.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_17367.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_40544.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_145261.jpg

And there that is. My next project is going to be a pair of Whirlwind Hyperios...es. I've got a buddy (really more like a nemesis) with 2000 points of Imperial Navy (not including his Thunderhawk, Storm Eagle and Marauder) and I've been sorely lacking things with Skyfire/Interceptor. I'll also be finishing a commission job on a FW Black Templar Dreadnought soon, probably this weekend. However, I've also taken a commission to do a small Khador HERESY!!! force, so my Chaos-related painting in the near future may be reduced to an even slower crawl than it has been. Honestly I've been feeling kind of burnt out, but I think having finished the LPC and having that deadline off my back should help. I should be more careful with my pledges in the future, assembly-lining large vehicles just isn't good for one's health or sanity. Anyway, after the commissions and the Whirlwinds are done I'll probably finally get around to the Fellblade.

Also, dammit Biohazard, now I have to do something spectacular with the Helbrute base. :laugh.: I was planning to go with just a couple skulls and a lasgun or two, but I think maybe having a wounded (i.e. legless) guy readying a grenade would be cool.

I also realized I've gotten quite a lot done since my last army shot. I'll be looking at setting up a new one soon.

EDIT: Keep forgetting to mention, my army was (not-so-)recently(-anymore) the subject of an article over on Dark Future Games. Just want to thank them for the kind words, and also wanted to plug their article on making Heldrakes actually look good - it's (miraculously) convinced me to buy one and I plan on following along similar lines whenever I get around to doing so.

Also, dammit Biohazard, now I have to do something spectacular with the Helbrute base. :laugh.: I was planning to go with just a couple skulls and a lasgun or two, but I think maybe having a wounded (i.e. legless) guy readying a grenade would be cool.

A legless guardsman hiding behind a small barricade/ ruined Rhino hatch for example readying a grenade maybe? ;)

Great work on the Storm Eagle I really like that model but in the colours of the bearers of the true word with all the script it looks awesome

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the comments as always, guys. Just a quickie update here, I'm not dead, I've just been slumbering in R'lyeh. Was feeling burnt out so I took a bit of a break, but I'll be working on some Hyperioses in the immediate future. I've just finished the Templar dread I was on about (no, there is literally no excuse for taking this long). He's not WB related so I won't post him here, but he's chillin' in the Post Your Dread thread over in the HoH, so you can check him out there.

PIP Hyperioses, halfway done, should have them finished in a few days. Washes on the one on the left didn't turn out so well, I'll be covering the worst of it with fleshybits.

gallery_39401_2771_161936.jpg

Also working on the Helbrute base, will have pics with the finished Whirlwinds.

Whirlwinds are finished...

gallery_39401_2771_53366.jpg

Whirlwind Hyperios Kabaiel

gallery_39401_2771_16885.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_38180.jpg

Whirlwind Hyperios Murmux

gallery_39401_2771_113370.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_159973.jpg

And I've finally finished the Helbrute base.

Helbrute

gallery_39401_2771_203812.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_20130.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_33974.jpg

A certain Wedding happened in a certain tv show, I needed an outlet and found it in this poor Guardsman. :tongue.:

Terminators likely up next, got 13 of them so I may paint them in smaller groups.

Archived