Raz's Word Bearers - Hell Follows With Them

RazakelXIII

Thanks for the comments, guys, they keep me painting. :smile.:

Quixus: I took a picture of him by himself, but it's... really, REALLY not pretty. He's headless, with a chunk of plastic stuck in the neck where I had to cut another (unsatisfactory) head out, there's glue fogging everywhere... He is NOT ready for his closeup. :tongue.: Gimme a week or so to get him a bit closer to being paint-ready, then I'll show him off - I need an excuse to work on something fun at the moment anyway (Cultists, Defilers, and tedium, oh my).

Malika666: I will be all over Kor Phaeron and Erebus like skulls on GW terrain. Conversions, though... I don't know if it's possible to do anything to Erebus that would make him better than he already is. Maybe a nice, billowy cloak? Kor Phaeron just needs a red paintjob, candles and maybe a Chaos Star on his back. Lorgar and a Kharybdis are definitely in my future, and I desperately want to find some sort of excuse to Wordify some Red Butchers. And I kind of want a Fire Raptor, but I've built a Storm Eagle before, and it is not an experience I'm eager to revisit.

Apologist: That means a lot coming from you. Your truescale work was my main inspiration for biggerizing my Dark Apostle and I've always wanted to do up a full squad (or army...) of Word Bearers like that. One day... *shakes fist*

Firepower/Kvlt/ChromeZephyr: Yep, they're from a Corpse Cart, as is the big lamp thingy in the center. Glad you guys like it, I wasn't sure if it was too much or just enough as they are a bit big, though that might be because the DV Librarian is a bit on the short side. And steal away. :)

Haven't done anything today but I'll get to work on that Terminator Sorcerer. I do have some RL stuff going on but it shouldn't interfere with my progress too much. Er, not that I ever update more than once or twice a month... >_>

@Malika666: I'm planning on leaving Lorgar as he is, I just want to have a nice pre-/early-Heresy Lorgar all painted up on my shelf. I expect FW to make a more mutated mid-Heresy Lorgar eventually anyway, and I've got my fingers crossed that we'll eventually get around to the Scouring and we'll start seeing Daemon Primarchs. I don't really want to convert (or rather scratchbuild) something like that at the moment. In my mind the Daemon Primarchs should be IMMENSE, at LEAST the size of Forge World's Bloodthirster, which I don't really feel confident taking on just yet. As for the rest of it, I'm a fan of the Ashen Circle but I don't know if I'll be converting them or not, I'll probably decide once I get a look at them in person. Night Raptors and standard Raptors/Warp Talons seem like they'd make great bitz mines but the leg poses don't really fit with my Gothic-pattern marines. I've been increasingly tempted to say "feth it" and just paint up a squad of Talons for fun, though.

@Kizzdougs: This is probably weird, but I only ever play maybe ten games of 40k a year. I used to play more but I've just never been very good at it, I've always been more interested in lore and painting. I have... issues... with 6e and the new CSM book, so I've basically just stopped gaming. I do get the urge to roll dice occasionally, though, and when I do bring out my army for a game, it's for Apocalypse, usually 5000 points. Fortunately there's plenty of local players with armies as big or bigger than mine, so I've had some pretty entertaining Apocalypse games. No matter how badly I'm losing (and I lose 90% of the time), it's always fun to have that many painted models on the table.

Anyway, this update's for Quixus. I believe I promised I'd work on making the Terminator Sorcerer a bit more presentable. He's not quite ready for paint yet, and as always my GS work is more than a bit on the messy side, but he's coming along. I'll be ditching the big misshapen lump of GS he's standing on in favor of something more... sorcerer-er-y.

gallery_39401_2771_47353.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_149263.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_23050.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_78529.jpg

Thinking he needs a beard and/or hair. Also, here's a little something extra I've cobbled together:

gallery_39401_2771_137303.jpg

He'll be getting paint (and a cloak and maaaaybe a hood) whenever I get around to my Chosen.

Regarding painting, I've decided to take a sanity-break from assembly-lining, hold off on the Defilers and just paint the Acolyte/DV Chosen Champion next.

The new Sorceror is looking good mate. I'm not 100% sure about the skull on top yet but the rest is looking awesome.

The Apothecary is looking mean as! I love that helmet and reckon if you could add a hood to that he's gonna look sinister as hell. Look forward to the DV Champ. Great stuff as always

everything is so cool!!!

army's like this always make me feel like such a newbie, all I can think to say is WOW! keep it up!

you give us mere mortals something to aspire to...

unbelievable that you have achieved so much in a year, way to go man, way to go!

Dude. you did it. most people call their forces armies. They are in actuality warbands, or companies. You made an entire ARMY. Support, heavies, fast, monsters, tanks, walkers, nasty leaders. Killer work man. It's been amazing to watch and awe inspiring to see group shots like that. I don't know how you keep going but you have a recipe for success and quality here. 

Thanks for the comments, guys, as always. Dan, it's great to see you're still around! Heinrich and DarkVen are certainly worthy successors to your legacy, but I keep hoping to see you revive your thread and take your rightful place in the unholy trinity. :laugh.:

So, Call of Chaos Update 1! Everything's... er, primed. Yay?

Lesser Acolyte, Kor Armaros - This pic is terrible but it gets the point across. I love the DV Chosen champ, so I didn't want to do too much to change it. I just shaved off the third eye and added a little fur to his cloak.

gallery_39401_2771_139843.jpg

Defiler 1, "Yakko" - His pose is a bit boring, I guess, but I really didn't want to sculpt more fire on him. He'll probably get lots of fleshybits to compensate. The Reaper's in a weird position because I initially had a CCW on that arm, couldn't get the mounting plate back off. Well, I probably could have, but it would've been too much like work.

gallery_39401_2771_98567.jpg

Defiler 2, "Wakko" - Same as you last saw him, except 100% more primed.

gallery_39401_2771_70250.jpg

And the Baneblade - again, nothing new, just primed. Fortunately my camera actually did something nice for once and everything is visible despite just being a mass of black IRL.

gallery_39401_2771_193376.jpg

I'll be painting the Acolyte first as a warm-up, assembly-lining the Defilers, and then painting the Baneblade last. I kind of hope I can get this all done by this time next month, but with my talent for procrastination, I doubt that will happen.

In non-Call-related news, I'm still working on GS with the Terminator Sorcerer. I... MAY have gotten a little carried away. First came the fu-manchu beard, and then... well, here, have some pics.

gallery_39401_2771_56224.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_201186.jpg

I'm just getting started on the warpflame on his base (yes, it is in the shape of a Chaos star), I've got several baggies full of Daemon bitz that I'm planning on integrating into it. The idea is that he's going to be willing the flames forward with his mind, so there will be tendrils of warpflame stretching forward and these will have daemonic faces and arms reaching out of them. Over the top, you say? There is no top, there is only Chaos! :devil:

Haha, thanks guys. Kael24, the skulls are extra bits from the Vampire Counts Coven Throne/Mortis Engine. They don't really fit anywhere on the thing so they've been sitting in my bits box for ages.

So, Call Update 2. Acolyte is basecoated and highlighted, washes are next. I did two layers of highlights on him for the lulz, obviously he will not be this bright and shiny for much longer.

gallery_39401_2771_163811.jpg

Mate! That Sorcerer is INSANE! :) Great work on the base I really can't wait to see this guy finished especially with the details you're planning. The DV Chosen is looking good with the simple additions. Now get that black wash on him ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Defilers getting closer to completion. Not quite done yet, but it's been too long since I've updated. Going to do a bit more GS work on the flames (actually going to add a little to the non-flamey one) and then get that painted. That should be it, although I might go back and add a little extra script. Not adding these pics to the main Call thread since I get the impression the third update is intended to be primarily for finished projects.

gallery_39401_2771_28905.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_6977.jpg

Just another quick update on the Defilers, sculpted up some warpflame and thought I'd better post pics before I put paint on it. Thinking it'll all be purple.

Big one first, there IS actually a guardsman in there, the Bloodletter head is about to chomp his face off.

gallery_39401_2771_417273.jpg

And the little one, just got a Nurgling and a Daemonette face in there.

gallery_39401_2771_184480.jpg

Hoping to have these painted sometime this weekend but I've never been good with setting deadlines for myself, so we'll see.

Archived