Raz's Word Bearers - Hell Follows With Them

RazakelXIII

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently the forums ate Angron during the recent downtime, didn't realize he was gone. Here he is again.

gallery_39401_2771_185145.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_204535.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_178054.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_96791.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_153778.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_110844.jpg

Progress on Lorgar is halted as I wait for more paintbrushes, all of my real workhorses have finally frayed to the point of being unusable.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So Lorgar's been a royal pain. Auric Armor Gold is a nightmare to work with and I've been trying to strike a balance between gold tattoos and the old golden skin fluff. Stripped the face quite a few times between starting and getting him where he is now. Heavy WIP, of course. Face is more or less "done," although I might go back in and work on the eyes a bit, and from looking at the pics for a while there are definitely some blotchier bits of script that could use some cleaning up. I will say zooming into the face too far will almost definitely make the script look worse than it is. Keep in mind the head is TINY. Pics lose a bit of the golden sheen as well.

gallery_39401_2771_93688.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_101328.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_49350.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_159477.jpg

Also ordered a Knight so I might get to work on that sooner than later, although for me "soon" tends to mean "a couple months from now."

Gonna be honest, I wasn't expecting any positive comments here considering the first person I showed him to said he looked like The Thing from Fantastic Four. I'm just glad any of you like it. :tongue.:

@Demon2027: The grey in those photos was a basecoat of Mechanicus Standard Grey, a wash of Army Painter Dark Tone, a layer/highlight of Mechanicus Standard, and a wash of Army Painter Strong Tone. I've since gone over it again with another layer of Mechanicus Standard (bit sloppy in places, need to go back in with a little Dark Tone).

Speaking of which, bit more work done. Did a BIT of cleaning up on the face but it could still use some work. In addition to bringing up the grey, I highlighted all the gold except for the face and gave it a light wash of Leviathan Purple. Might go back and highlight a few areas with Auric again. Also did the haft on Illuminarum. Started off going for straight ivory, decided to mix it up and go for black-veined white marble, wasn't turning out right so I washed it with Strong Tone to see what would happen. I dunno what it's supposed to be but I kinda like it. Guess it still kinda looks like marble.

gallery_39401_2771_105734.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_128452.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_182813.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_76534.jpg

To-do: work on the face, finish the head of Illuminarum (not sure whether to just highlight in a few chips of brighter metal or paint the spikes gold - I feel like the whole thing should be black iron but at the same time there's so much gray on this model already), play with the parchment a bit more, clean up some of the bits of gold where the purple wash went on too heavily, blow all those fething micro-hairs off the backpack, and paint the base (green flames?).

Knight still hasn't shown up, praying to the Dark Gods it arrives today.

I think I'm going to wait until I paint the base to decide what to do with Illuminarum. If I feel like the flame is too distracting, I might go with gold, but if not I'll just highlight it.

No work on Lorgar today, got my Knight and couldn't resist putting it together. Really proud of the pose. I swear I thought of using the flaming censer from the Screaming Bell/Plague Furnace the moment I saw this thing (because my first thought was "how can I get rid of that ridiculous chainsword?") but I'm aware that HJL just did it recently, so kudos to him for stealing thoughts from my brain. Clearly I need to tighten my tinfoil hat. :tongue.: Anyway, thought the battle cannon looked too plain, but gamewise I like it more than the melta, so I stuck the muzzle from a Skull Cannon on the end. Needs some GS work to blend it into the gun. Also need to drill out the stubbers and find a Chaos star for that slot in the carapace. A lot of people seem to shave off all the arrows on their Chaos Knights but I think they look chaosy as all hell so I'm leavin' 'em. Probably gonna go nuts on candles and fleshybits, may do some work on the face (needs horns), and I'm thinking of making a little forest of two or three breaking wheel poles (see my Dark Apostle's base) on the back. Will definitely finish Lorgar before I do any more work on this.

gallery_39401_2771_17752.jpg

I kind of wanted to sculpt a naked Cultist-chan riding the wrecking ball ("HWEE CAME EEEHN ON A WREEEEHKING BAAAAHLL") but I thought better of it.

The skull cannon tip fits perfectly! The one thing that bugs me about the standard knight is how plain that cannon is. Looking forward to this guy striding alongside your Warhound. Liking the breaking wheel idea as well.

I kind of wanted to sculpt a naked Cultist-chan riding the wrecking ball ("HWEE CAME EEEHN ON A WREEEEHKING BAAAAHLL") but I thought better of it.

Put some worshiping cultists on the base.

• 1 month later...

Lorgar's finally done, can't believe it took me all summer to paint two models but that's how it goes. I highlighted the grey on his armor WAY up and then busted out some Reaper gold to give the trim more contrast. Painted the base and did OSL on the flames, specifically to give me an excuse to throw a little color onto Illuminarum, which was pretty boring to look at before. Pretty happy with the result, could maybe tone down the orange on the base just a little but I'm happy with it right now. I've tweaked the face just a little bit from last time, but still wouldn't advise zooming too close in on it because it WILL look terrible. Quite happy with it from a distance though, moreso IRL than in the pics.

gallery_39401_2771_92907.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_157066.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_23184.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_112415.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_104667.jpg

With Angron, who was out of focus no matter how many times I tried to take this shot. Oh well.

gallery_39401_2771_180203.jpg

Either the Knight or a pair of Land Raiders next, probably the LRs because they're the last non-superheavy tanks I'm planning on doing for a while.

• 5 months later...

I can't believe I haven't posted anything since September. Time to fix that. Have some very PIP Land Raiders.

gallery_39401_2771_95834.jpg

Hadn't painted or sculpted much of anything since Lorgar up until a few days ago. I did work on Kor Phaeron but I burnt out on him pretty quickly - trying to get all the little astrological diagrams to show up with my dark red wasn't working out.

Unfortunately I've done no more work on the Sorcerer. I realize some reddish-brownish-blackish Land Raiders aren't exactly the pinnacle of excitement these days, so I think I'll show off some WIPs that I really should've posted like a year ago when I started on them. Wanted to hold onto these until the whole squad was ready for paint, but Darth Bob (over on Dakka) saw them in person recently and urged me (read: threatened me with secret Alpha Legion torture methods) to post them.

So I've needed a Possessed squad for a while, but I hate the Possessed kit (when used by itself - it's great for bitz). I started on these well before the Gal Vorbak hit, but the idea for them grew out of a conversation I was having at the FLGS. Was talking about how Possessed should look like the daemons they've been possessed by, and suddenly I wondered what it would look like if a Chaos marine was possessed by a Nurgling swarm. Overwhelmed with the desire to see a spess mehren bursting into Nurglings, I hit the bitz box, and this happened:

gallery_39401_2771_155570.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_39059.jpg

And then I kept going, this time with a Flamer.

gallery_39401_2771_1136.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_140677.jpg

And some Plaguebearers.

gallery_39401_2771_78373.jpg

And then I started on some Horrors but was too lazy to do any sculpting. They're gonna need a lot, I want lots of mouths and arms and fire everywhere.

gallery_39401_2771_137030.jpg

I kind of half-heartedly started on a Bloodletter but I'm not tremendously happy with the results. Again, still needs GS work, which could possibly save it.

gallery_39401_2771_48615.jpg

And I've got a Screamer that's gonna need even more GS work than the Horrors.

gallery_39401_2771_8776.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_46877.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_54175.jpg

That's 7 out of 12 planned Possessed. I want to do another two Bloodletters (and possibly start this one over from scratch), a pair of Daemonettes, and either another Flamer or Screamer, or a Plague Drone (no idea how I'd go about doing that).

I WILL get some Gal Vorbak eventually - the models are too incredible for me not too, but they are a bit expensive for five dudes. Somewhat dismayed at the current lack of Argel Tal, but I'm waiting patiently. It's not like I don't have enough stuff to paint in the meantime.

Anyway, going to try to get these Land Raiders done in a reasonable-ish amount of time, then I'll finally get cracking on the armywide revamp I've been going on about for well over a year now. No, really, I mean it. :P

Thanks, guys. Quick update on the Land Raiders, iron metallics are about done, except I still need to do chipping and battle damage. Need to sculpt the fleshybits and candles now (gonna be LOTS of the latter on both). Gonna try to do most of that tonight and tomorrow.

gallery_39401_2771_141033.jpg

And I just realized the pic's actually really gakky, but I seriously need to post more, so...

Archived