[Artwork] 'Libris Primaris'

I myself am an artist, and I must say I thoroughly enjoy your work. They all have excellent balance and a formidable quality to them, as though they are the definitive version of the character. As stylized images that is a truly difficult task. They belong in an art book.

One bit of criticism: the borders on the older images have a clouded look to them that detracts from the overall exclamation factor of those pieces. If they were to be returned to flat black they would have that same "pop" as Perturabo, Rogal Dorn, and The Emperor have.

Also this is a comment surely open to artistic expression, but on Dorn you have an the aquila emblem. I thought the legions were not allowed to wear it (excepting the Emperors Children). However I suppose the Primarchs themselves would probably be an exception to this rule.

PS: I would love to see Horace in his pre-heresy form.

Edited by Fortnight

Thank you all my brothers, once again, for the compliments and critiques on this latest piece! As you know, I don't really have a lot of time to actually reply one by one to all of your comments, but I will do a couple of exceptions due to them containing some from of critiscism or details that I can clarify and acknowledge:

- Fortnight: I'm glad you enjoy my work so much and deem it worthy of an Art Book. It's certianly something I dream of and if I'd got back up from GW that'd be even more astounding and breathtaking. Meanwhile, I'll have to stay as a fan.

As for your mentioning of the black detail, yes, i noticed that in the other Primarchs and that's due to some contrast issues arising from the scanning of the original. I'll definitely see if I can touch that up without messing up the final image. As for Dorn wearing the Imperial Aquilla, I was also wary at first, as it is mentioned that only the Emperor's Children wore it; but, on second thought, I imagined (as you did) that the Primarchs would be able to show the eagle heraldry.

- Pulse: The moustache is certainly a conflicting 'artistic license' of mine, as I mentioned and should be talen as such. For me, the use of that detail adds a much more 'veteran' look to Dorn which is how I always imagined him; I could've gone clean shaven, but it would've lost that essence I had going in the first illustration I did of him.

- Mortarion and Kihriban: I'm glad you took notice of the gloves! It's certainly a detail i wanted to pay the utmost respect too; as you mentioned he IS the Imperial Fist, so the eye should have to be drawn particularly to his hands.

Thank you all again and I hope to have news of Fulgrim very soon!

Aerion.-

• 4 weeks later...

Risking a bit of threadomancy, are we...? :) I hope the righteous fury of our honoured Impetro Respondi is aimed elsewhere!

However, it's interesting that just THIS week this thread should arise again; I'm finishing Fulgrim's sketch and will move onto inking and colouring before Friday, if everything goes according to my calculations.

As for the Primarchs that will be showing up, I remind you all that this is an ongoing project that will have them all rendered. Thus, it's just a matter of time before you see your favourites!

Thanks all for the compliments as usual, and hope to see you soon!

Aerion.-

I really, really wish GW would include some of A's art (especially the primarch line) in the 6th edition rulebook. Petition, anyone?

When I get back from Germany in the fall and hopefully finally have my chapter's website redone and have started on my DIY codex, I will def. be paying A some commissions once I save up enough money.

My wife has stuck again... :lol:

Your Sanguinius is now her wallpaper.

(she's played Blood Angels for the last 9 years, ever since she found a Baal Predator in my "to do" pile, and asked "can I paint this?")

Just love your stuff.

Gryfon

Now, these are fantastic! What a change from the 'normal' GW artwork you normally see. In particular I like Peturabo and Rogal Dorn; the former seems to embody the word 'siege', and the latter has finally given Rogal Dorn a face in my mind! ;) The moustache is a great idea; it really suits the character. I'm sure somebody has said before, but I'd love to see the full set of these hanging in a games room! ;)

Great job mate, can't wait to see more.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah I saw that. Its really coming together nicely. Also, I did my own Lion (needs to be finished on the Wacom). All thbnks to Aerion and Colrophobic.

...grumble grumble...

Damn.. I have looked at this thread like a million times now, and havent had the nerve to reply just yet.. Aerion, you are now my favorite artist! Damn I like your style! The way the faces are made is so.. perfect. I would love to know how you do this!

If I had your talent I sure would use it the way you do! Damn.

Yeah I saw that. Its really coming together nicely. Also, I did my own Lion (needs to be finished on the Wacom). All thbnks to Aerion and Colrophobic.

...grumble grumble...

I inspired a Lion? How did that happend? Would love to see it!

Anyways- Nic, great work as always, and you tease us over at illuminatus (but in a good way). Great to see your 40k work popping up though ;)

Wow...

Just wow...

Your Lion El'Jonson just made me want to go out and draw pictures myself...

How the HELL can I get an image done by you...?!

I am waiting, very impatiently to see your rendition of Vulkan, Primarch of the Salamanders Legion...

All the Best!!! Keep this standard up!!!

Arenis