[Artwork] 'Libris Primaris'

I'm personally hoping against hope for Blonde hair. For one thing, it provides a more striking opposition to the red haired Magnus, and it's also more in keeping with the majority of painted and drawn images of Leman Russ that are scattered about the place. At the same time, the blonde hair aspect contrasts nicely with the grey armor. But meh, there are several details about him that I hope will be picked up on... The golden dog eyes, the fangs. I just have to be hopeful I guess.

I've been a fan of this project since I first came across it on Deviant Art, and it's one of the things I always check for every time I log onto that site (before I search Exalted, that is).

• 2 weeks later...

As usual, Aerion, your depiction of Ferrus is a thing of wonder.

Just out of curiosity, how long does it usually take you to produce a completed Primarch?

Do you go through multiple drafts to get a design you like, or do you know what the finished product will look like when you start?

Keep up the spectacular work.

Not the biggest fan of that type of drawing (not enough character in the faces for me) but I can tell that these are magnificent pieces. Go blone haired (with pigtails) Russ!

P.S. Space Wolf players please don't murder me.

We're on our way to your house right now.

Edited by JEFF4i

My brave brothers...

After a bit longer than I'd expected this image to take me, here I am again with an update to this thread (which has become very popular, thank goodness!). I hope the artwork is worth the wait and my rants, as usual...

This time around, the Primarch in the spotlight, as I'd announced earlier, is none other than the valiant and feral Leman Russ of the Space Wolves!

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d61/aerion_the_faithful/FEROX.jpg

This was, as I said in another site, quite a daunting character; "Why?" you may ask. Aren't all the Primarchs daunting?

Technically, yes. But there are some which are far less represented or illustrated than others and that leaves me with much less pressure from the community to try and get an established look right, whilst still incorporating the vigour and 'freshness' of my own style.

Leman Russ is one of the most recognised Primarchs of The Emperor and his Legion is one of the most played in the hobby world, so there were a LOT of expectations put in this illustration. I hope I've done the old wolf justice!

I'm very passionate about Celtic/Irish/Scottish/Norse mythology, which I think is what the Space Wolves Legion and Russ incarnated and represented: the old traditions in halls of stone; the sturdy bearded heroes of frozen lands coming to get you with axes and might, nearly unstoppable.

I tried, thus, to get all that accross in the design, using elements from the aforementioned cultures and some of my own ideas.

There was a good question asked here that left me wondering some days ago, which was: Is Russ going to be blonde or redheaded? I honestly always pictured him as redheaded, but I could see him working as a blonde. In the end, the client decided for me and here he is in all his blood-red strength!

I was asked a very interesting question too, by Brother Icipher: Usually, these illustrations are taking me somewhere between 2-3 days to complete, which is a LOT of time for me to work on an image. My regular illustrations come out in a day; but, then again, they don't have the size, nor the level of detail these ones do, so...

I hope to hear from you all, as usual, and next up is the feared, one-eyed sorcerer himself: Magnus the Red!

Until soon!

Aerion.-

Edited by Aerion the Faithful

Well,I made a few replies in this magnificent thread already in the past

and would really hate to repeat myself,it's boring,and because I can't think anything new to say...

...wait,I'll try...

SIMPLY GLORIOUS!!

You're every new Primarch is better than the previous one (at least it seems that way to me...)

Yeah, I absolutely love it, well worth the wait! (I've been checking the HoH forum every day for the past week or two lol).

As far as the hair, I'm not really that particular about that. Honestly, we'll have a solid answer to that when the Burning of Prospero comes out around Nov. Until then, I personally think the red makes a nice contrast with the colors used in the picture, and works just fine to me.

Favorite part has to be the runes that are subtle but prominent around the edges of the gauntlets, pauldrons, and the ridges on the top of the pauldrons.

I guess my only wish would be to see more! A full length Russ with his two wolves, done by you, would just completely shatter the badass-o-meter. Keep up the great work!

Praise Russ!

Fantastic. Not sure if it fits fluff descriptions...but I've always preferred red. Matches the fiery temper very well. I know you've had misgivings about your talent and doing wolves, but this should leave doubt that you are capable. ;)

Wolftime is approaching.....

Duuuude.... ^_^ :o :drool: :drool: That is totally freakin' EPIC! *begins rolling all the ale from the lower cellars of the Fang to Aerion*. You've definately earned yourself a welcome place in the Fang anytime you feel like stopping by. Just tell 'em Bran sent ya!

Look good man! The house in the background kind of gives me a whole Batman vibe though, but that in itself isn't so bad because I think some of the Batman cartoons are some of the best ever made!

So...when can we expect Lorgar? ;)

I like it. It seems a little too high tech for Leman Russ for me, but a great piece of work none the less. I think he looks a little too scottish and not enough norse. However, the way you did it is fantastic. Kudos to you!

Might I recommend the swarthy hero known to the Imperium as Vulkan ;)