[Artwork] 'Libris Primaris'

This is very nice indeed! Not excatly the style I like but the way you capture what the primarches is all about is astounding! You will inspire a lot of people to make primarch miniatures now!

wow man just wow, you wouldnt happen to be selling a larger print of these images would you? cuz i would definately buy them. Also im wondering if your going to come up with your own rendition of the 2 unknown primarchs?

My dear brothers...

It's been a little while longer than I expected when I last posted Fulgrim; and not necessarily because I didn't have an update! I finished the next Prmarch I announced in time but I just couldn't sit down a moment and post in in these sacred boards until now. I did post it in my online portfolio at deviantART (so some of you may have seen it) but here is the official B&C post.

Without further ado: Ferrus Manus, Primarch of the Iron Hands

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d61/aerion_the_faithful/FORTIS.jpg

As I said in my post over at dA, Ferrus was always - and ever since I got into the Dark Millenium - my favourite Primarch. There was something about him, his strength, resilience and overall essence that (to me) represented the 41st Millenium perfectly.

Perhaps it was his metal hands, crafted in the fires of a volcano whilst he fought a C'Tan (yes I do believe the tales, though it is never especifically said it's a C'Tan in the fluff!); or the rust and decay of Medusa, in constant strife for survival; or his Legion's allegiance to the Adeptus Mechanicus and its dark technology... everything conspired to make Ferrus a very important figure for me.

And, those following my work will know that one of the things that gave my name some attention in the community were the "Rusted" comics I worked in. Comics that heavily involved the Iron Hands and its Primarch.

Thus, this image is one of my favourites in this project. As you'll notice, the armour on this Primarch is much less ornate than his brothers's and much more 'utilitarian' and blocky, because I wanted to keep Ferrus true to his essence; it being his faith in his own strength above all things. That also led me to render his arms in such a way as to make them a pivotal part of his design. I also kept the decoration very crude and tribal, as a nod to Medusa.

I think this one is a worthy succesor to my first depiction of this great legend of the Imperium and a huge improvement on it as well: Ferrus Manus

Last, but not least, I want to thank you all again, deeply, for the comments you leave and all the questions and inquiries you have for the future developent of this project. Though I can't reply to them one by one, be sure I read them all, and I try and answer as generally as I can so as to address every doubt.

First and foremost: yes, I'll be doing all of the Primarchs and that involves even the less rendered ones (or those that don't even have an image!). I'm excited to do all of them and I will usually do a Traitor and a Loyalist, alternatively.

Most of these images are all Pre-Heresy or just at the moment of the actual Heresy, so these renditions will all show the Primarchs before their fall. The only one that I rendered fallen has been Horus, and due to popular demand I might have a stab at his prior honourable self.

I already have the designs for Magnus the Red, Night Haunter, Leman Russ and Mortarion, so those are probably the ones you'll be seeing next. Lookout for them and, as usual, grace me with your feedback, as it is the best reward I can get on these images!

See you all soon!

Aerion.-

I personally love this work.

I agree that not everyone can appreciate the style of the artwork rendered here, but I think the fact that even those who speak out against the style love the work itself should be praise enough. The individuality and aura given off by each of the primarchs is perfectly captured.

Bravo.

I will always have a soft spot in my Fenrisian heart for those who are truley blessed above and beyond the rest of us with artistic skill. Especially when they give to the ungifted masses something with which to bring a little light to their lives. I look forward to your vision of Russ, and am sure that I will soon have a new background picture for my computer.

Thank you.

-OID

This Primarch is indeed your favorite one, friend. I can witness :P !

Thos is one of your trademark but IMHO, he has a little too arrogant chin. This apart, you gave him the perfect touch of strenght and grim reserve. Its a spendor !

Hmmm some new Iron souls, one day or another ?

DS

Edited by Dark Sensei

I must admit this is looking very good and I look forward for more I can only imagine now how your renditions of Gullimen, Vulken, and the word bearers primarch.. bad sadly his name fails me at this moment.

Nicolàs,

Again you have breathed life into a wonderful illustration. The contrast between the hard angles of the armour and the soft organic lines of the “iron hands” is striking. The tiny amount of pink flesh peeking out from beneath the armour is a nice touch.

Excellent work!

All I can say is...BRILLIANT!

You've really captured his essence and I mean not just his,all of them!

I think that you show all these illustrations to the people who don't know much about W40k and ask them to describe the primarchs just by the impression they experience looking at them,they would probably describe the true character of every one of them! You've brought so much life into them!

I would love to see Night Haunter next,Magnus can wait a little more,we all know how he looks like... ;)

And for the end, keep up this amazing endeavour into the Pre-Heresy era!

Cheers, Calimehtar

I don't know if I have said this before, but your previous rendition of Ferrus, standing in the pit of lava where he slew the great wyrm of living metal, amazed by his new metal hands, is one of my favourite pics you have done. It also made me look into Ferrus and legion's background, so in a way you made Ferrus my 2nd favourite Primarch.

I love the less ornate, 'utilitarian' look of him and agree completely with the reasoning behind it, it just the way I envisioned him as well.

EDIT: Oh and a pre-fall Horus would be amazing!

Edited by Codex Grey

Bravo Aerion, you know I love your work and this is no exception, again. The armor looks fantastic and Ferrus' stern expression fits him perfectly.

So out of the Primarchs who already have designs, who do you expect to finish first? :unsure:

Here we go again! Asskicking as usual! Loyalist-Traitor-Loyalist-Traitor huh? *whispers* LORGAR!!! There are only pictures of him as a daemonprince, there is a description of his pre-Heresy look, that being a man with golden skin. The new Horus Heresy books seem to suggest that the old is that gold paper material to cover his skin. Perhaps kind of like those creatures from that Metallica video? pic

Hello all, brothers...

Well, as usual, the cavalcade of compliments and praise I've received fills me with pride and also with a great joy that I'm able to do these great characters and mythic figures of the Imperium justice. It's a great responsibility renderig The Emperor's privileged Sons and thus I'm glad I can deliver exciting details and imagery in each piece, to both please your knowlede of them and also add some details that you hadn't thought of; a hint of originality is you will.

I'm glad everyone liked my rendition of Ferrus and I'm also happy that my deep love and respect for this Primrach showed through in the image. I agree with what's been said about my style not being everyone's cup of tea and that's why i respect the embracing attitude the community's had over this past years with me; it shows that, beyond what everyone might personally enjoy, the works have a quality that marks them as a professional endeavour.

There are a few questions that keep popping up and I'll try to answer as generally and widely as I can so I can soother everyone's doubts: I will get to every Primarch, as I've been saying in these posts, so it's just a matter of time. The next one, for those wondering, will be Leman Russ (and I'll sort of cut the Loyalits-Traitor ratio a bit). After him, most likely will come Magnus the Red (I'm itching to redesign him too!). Then, who knows...? But I have a few hints :P...

As for other pieces (someone mentioned Inquisitor Ravenor), I want to let you know that I'm knee-deep in several Dark Millenium related projects (one of which involves superstar painter Chris Borer!) that should keep your thirst quenched for many a day. I'll make it a personal task this week to upload some of my MiniMasterpieces ( MiniMasterpieces) related to WH40K as well so you let me know what you think and see something other that isn't strictly Space marines (but is still board related, my dear Inquistor Impetro :teehe:)...

So, I THANK YOU all again for the support, the encouragement and all that you've given me and be sure to check this thread as soon as it appears again on the front page. It's likely to have the Son of Fenris in it :P ...

Aerion.-