[Artwork] 'Libris Primaris'

Hey Nicolas, squats in p-a are not well seen around, even mead-enlarged ones !!!!

Dammit dude, you made good choices ! The beardy truckdrider looking primarch is just great. I was kinda bored by the well shaved youngster we see all the time.

THIS IS COOOOOOOOOOOOOL !

DS

My brave brothers...

After a bit longer than I'd expected this image to take me, here I am again with an update to this thread (which has become very popular, thank goodness!). I hope the artwork is worth the wait and my rants, as usual...

This time around, the Primarch in the spotlight, as I'd announced earlier, is none other than the valiant and feral Leman Russ of the Space Wolves!

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d61/aerion_the_faithful/FEROX.jpg

This was, as I said in another site, quite a dauting character; "Why?" you may ask. Aren't all the Primarchs daunting?

Technically, yes. But there are some which are far less represented or illustrated than others and that leaves me with much less pressure from the community to try and get an established look right, whilst still incorporating the vigour and 'freshness' of my own style.

Leman Russ is one of the most recognised Primarchs of The Emperor and his Legion is one of the most played in the hobby world, so there were a LOT of expectations put in this illustration. I hope I've done the old wolf justice!

I'm very passionate about Celtic/Irish/Scottish/Norse mythology, which I think is what the Space Wolves Legion and Russ incarnated and represented: the old traditions in halls of stone; the sturdy bearded heroes of frozen lands coming to get you with axes and might, nearly unstoppable.

I tried, thus, to get all that accross in the design, using elements from the aforementioned cultures and some of my own ideas.

There was a good question asked here that left me wondering some days ago, which was: Is Russ going to be blonde or redheaded? I honestly always pictured him as redheaded, but I could see him working as a blonde. In the end, the client decided for me and here he is in all his blood-red strength!

I was asked a very interesting question too, by Brother Icipher: Usually, these illustrations are taking me somewhere between 2-3 days to complete, which is a LOT of time for me to work on an image. My regular illustrations come out in a day; but, then again, they don't have the size, nor the level of detail these ones do, so...

I hope to hear from you all, as usual, and next up is the feared, one-eyed sorcerer himself: Magnus the Red!

Until soon!

Aerion.-

If my memory serves me right, didnt Russ have black hair? or was it blonde...nope it was blonde. Still awesome.

Edited by lunchb0x

Great job!

I think you have really captured the essence of every Primarch you have drawn. There is just one thing...

Could you try and draw Horus like he was when his legion was still the Luna Wolves? Right now, you have drawn horus as he was when he rebelled, but i'd like to see a drawing of him from before heresy even came into his mind. Plus, i think it would be cool to see what chaos can turn even a being such as Horus into.

Keep up the good work!

Sven Bloodskull

My brothers...

As usual, I thank you all very deeply for the vote of confidence and the great praise with which you always receive my works. I'm truly blessed that you think my illustrations do these legendary characters justice!

As for some of your inquiries: The Primarchs are coming along at a steady pace of one or two per mpnth, so thats's the possible projected time for them to come out. Though I honestly don't think too much ahead and just go with the flow. Magnus is next, as I mentioned.

A Pre-Heresy rendition of Horus is something many folks have asked for and I can only agree that it'd be a great idea and I'll be happy to tackle it, once all of his brothers are done. Which leads me to another thing that's been thrown as an idea repeatedly and I've thought of myself: what of other heroes in the Heresy times? What of Khârn, Lucius or Cpt. Garro? Or Loken as seen in my Mournival image? All those heroes, all those myths, I would like to render. Would you be up for watching, as usual...? It may well take me some time, but I hope it's worth it in the end.

Finally, there's another thing that's been bugging me: what if, after finishing the Primarchs I started doing small scenes of them in action? The stuff of legends such as Magnus vs. Russ, the battle were Ferrus fell to Fulgrim or the assault on Terra and the final words between Horus and Sanguinius? I think it could well be the pinnacle of this project and something to puch my bar even higher.

Keep those ideas coming and let me know what you think, as usual!

Aerion.-

Edited by Aerion the Faithful

Awesome as ever. Something unique, yet drawn from the strong imagery already established around the Primarchs.

Finally, there's another thing that's been bugging me: what if, after finishing the Primarchs I started doing small scenes of them in action? The stuff of legends such as Magnus vs. Russ, the battle were Ferrus fell to Fulgrim or the assault on Terra and the final words between Horus and Sanguinius? I think it could well be the pinnacle of this project and something to puch my bar even higher.

For the love of the Emperor, yes! Particularly for Fulgrim & Ferrus!

Talking about the heroes of the Heresy, id' like to see your version of Rylanor the Ancient (okay, he's not on the top of the list but would be nice to see a venerable dread :P )

Cpt Stahl.

I'm missing my primarch; Roboute Guilliman... :)

Amazing stuff, really love your cartoonish style, makes them look just sexellent...

Any possobility we could get these high-res so one can print them as posters? (pretty please)

Amazing work - I have been lurking in this thread for weeks and just had to break silence. My faves so far are the Lion (of course given my Chapter of choice) and Russ - of all of them they capture what I see as the essence of the repsective primarchs best. Not that the others are not amazing either! They are! Its just that Russ, the Lion, and perhaps Dorn just seem to leap straight out of the picture and into the mould that the fluff/environment and "feel" of the character. Good work, keep it up, and for the Emperor's sake hurry up and do Alpha & Omegon, Corax and Magnus! When those 3 are done, I will be satisfied and everything/everyone else is just gravy ;)

Love it! Russ looks great, much better than the "official" look for him. He actually looks burly and tough! But OMG! that Ferrus is fan-flippin'-tastic! definitely my favorite of the bunch so far. :P

As for the other projects you mentioned, I think all would be appreciated and welcomed. There are many great characters popping up in the Heresy books that deserve attention.

Keep at it!

-T.

(p.s. we really have to catch up sometime, it's been ages since I've had a chance to talk with you!)

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d61/aerion_the_faithful/PUGNIIMPERIUM.jpg

I have to say I love this. If more marines had such manly whiskers there wouldn't be any Orks left.

I've been working on this guy for a long time on and off. This is just his head:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/jesusfinger/IMG_3571.jpg

^-^

My brothers...

As usual, I thank you all very deeply for the vote of confidence and the great praise with which you always receive my works. I'm truly blessed that you think my illustrations do these legendary characters justice!

As for some of your inquiries: The Primarchs are coming along at a steady pace of one or two per mpnth, so thats's the possible projected time for them to come out. Though I honestly don't think too much ahead and just go with the flow. Magnus is next, as I mentioned.

A Pre-Heresy rendition of Horus is something many folks have asked for and I can only agree that it'd be a great idea and I'll be happy to tackle it, once all of his brothers are done. Which leads me to another thing that's been thrown as an idea repeatedly and I've thought of myself: what of other heroes in the Heresy times? What of Khârn, Lucius or Cpt. Garro? Or Loken as seen in my Mournival image? All those heroes, all those myths, I would like to render. Would you be up for watching, as usual...? It may well take me some time, but I hope it's worth it in the end.

Keep those ideas coming and let me know what you think, as usual!

Aerion.-

For a Russ vs Magnus try to incorporate Freki and Geri (persistent little bugger aren't I?). I truly can't wait to see the rest of your work though; as long as it's 40k I know I'll be watching.

I was going to ask, when you have completed them all, are you going to somehow combine them into 1 image. From your style that might be difficult? (im not an artist so i wouldnt know) :o

I've never seen the primachs draw like this, very unique and just awesomesauce.

As for idea's for next characters to draw after Primarch's, i noticed on your page work including sisters, maybe you could try the SoB Saints, Alicia Dominica for example.... i've never seen any previous illustrations of them.

Edited by S'jet

Aerion.-

This will be great! I wish you success!

BTW Russ is awesome. He really reminds me of some Irish or Scottish mythological giant. I'm not a fan of Russ, but this particular image is so impressive, I like it! As always you have performed a great job!

• 3 weeks later...

WOW.

Where was I when this thread came about? :)

Absolutely Brilliant. Each has been saved in the aforementioned 'Aerion' file. Eagerly Awaiting the next entries.