Interested in a conversion challenge?

Master of the Ravenwing

mesa like, the cost could be kept down if you converted the jet-bike out of a regular bike. i'm adding this to the list

a counts-as from a different codex to C:SM?

a bit more specific please, there more units/vehicles/characters in the loyal dex's combined than most can count

I have no budget... so I have to use only what I have

neither have I, never stoped me before :)

last chance to make a suggestion, i will let randomness pick a theme this weekend

also, i'm trying to convince a few of my friends to co-judge (if i enter myself it will be for the sake of participating, not for winning, so there will be no fraud)

I have a suggestion: Updating a model. Here's the idea. You pick a model that is in the current line and probably looked really great when it was released originally, but advances in technology have brought the quality of the general model a fair bit higher and now the model that once looked really great, only looks kinda good. So models like Azreal, Abaddon, Dante, Ahirman, and the like would be great ideas for this. We talked about this idea prior.

There's my 2 kraks.

I have a suggestion: Updating a model. Here's the idea. You pick a model that is in the current line and probably looked really great when it was released originally, but advances in technology have brought the quality of the general model a fair bit higher and now the model that once looked really great, only looks kinda good. So models like Azreal, Abaddon, Dante, Ahirman, and the like would be great ideas for this. We talked about this idea prior.

There's my 2 kraks.

Updating an old model would indeed be interesting. Some conversions and a good paintscheme can do wonders.

Resin parts as well as plastic ?

Depends on the challenge, my winning entry for the 2nd challenge used a mix of metal and resin parts, but that was a 'required part' challenge with no stipulations about additional components.

Why the embargo on using metal parts?

I think it's because the 2nd challenge stipulated the use of an expensive metal part which limited the number of entries.

Alright, this is from the other thread.

Is there an age limit on the model?

I don't like requirements 1. and 4. If you have access to metal then why not use it? Forge World resin stuff is much mire expensive plus you have to pay shipping so I wouldn't think it would be the cost. For the grenade thing, space marines don't show grenades and pistols, so why should characters? I think this detracts from the models pure awesomeness.

Alright, this is from the other thread.

Is there an age limit on the model?

I don't like requirements 1. and 4. If you have access to metal then why not use it? Forge World resin stuff is much mire expensive plus you have to pay shipping so I wouldn't think it would be the cost. For the grenade thing, space marines don't show grenades and pistols, so why should characters? I think this detracts from the models pure awesomeness.

If Wings wants to change this he is more then welcome to since he is running the CC this time around. Previously, I forbid the use of metal bits in the character driven conversion for the purpose of avoiding the need to make an Allowed list and a Non-allowed list. With the Mephiston challenge, if I hadn't forbid the use of metal parts, then what would be stopping someone from taking the current Mephiston model, cutting out the head, dropping on another one and calling it a say? I this is going to sound a bit rude, but I didn't want to waste my time looking at that sort of entry. Yes I could have said "You can not use the Mephiston model" but then I would have had to define what counted as the Mephiston model. Is it the entire model? Can I use just the sword? What about the plasma pistol? Where would that end? It potentially wouldn't. So it was simpler just to say no metal parts. Plus it adds a heavy dynamic to the challenge.

But it all boils down to this: If you don't like the limitations, you don't have to participate in the challenge.

yeah, the first challenge I ran, the one that was a required part and the required part was Chronus' torso, one of the points that was raised that really threw me for a loop was asking about if it counted as using the required part if it was totally covered. I think someone used the idea of take the part, and sculpting a Greater deamon or Dreadnought around it and saying "Hey I used the required part", you didn't say I could have it submerged in a block of putty." It's because of that sort of things I tried to keep the rules explicit, and simple. "No Metal parts" is a lot easier to explain and understand then "Ragnar's Sword may not be used. Ragnars Head may not be used. Ragnar's right shoulder may not be used. Ragnar's Cloak may not be used. Ragnar's body may not be used. Ragnar's Legs may not be used. Ragnars Pistol may not be used" Well, what prevents me taking Lukas' model, cutting off the tips of the lightning claw, and sticking a Plastic Wolf Sword there?

Or taking this Wold Guard:

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m2430685_99060101426_40kWolfGuard_445x319.jpg

dremeling out the head, sticking on a Space marine helmeted head and calling it Shrike?

So then excluding certain parts would become:

1. Ragnar's Head
  2. Ragnars sword
  3. Ragnars right arm
  4. Ragnar's Left arm
  5. Ragnar's Left Shoulder pad
  6. Ragnar's Right Shoulder pad
  7. Ragnars Cloak
  8. Ragnar's body
  9. Lukas' body
  10. Lukas' right arm
  11. Lukas' left arm
  12. Lukas Right arm
  13. Lukas Right Plasma Pistol
  14. Wolf Guard With Lightning Claws Right arm
  15. Wolf Guard With Lightning Claws Left arm
  16. Wolf Guard With Lightning Claws Body
  17. Wolf Guard With Lightning Claws Head
  18. Wolf Guard With Lightning Claws legs

great way to wake up: get spamed by hate-mail :D

so because you whiners don't want a to challenging Challenge, i have softend up the limitations

Limitation 1:

The final conversion must be able to legally represent the required character. This means you must adhere to the concept of “WYSIWYG” (What You See Is What You Get). this refers to weapons, armor, and most equipment (ie.: that you don't give him grenades, i can understand. but if he had a Iron Hallo, than i want to SEE an Iron Hallo.) also: all named/special equipment must be present, Including a named grenade!

Limitation 2:

The conversion must be appropriate for this forum (Remember, we are on BolterandChainsword.com after all)

Limitation 3:

All submissions should be based on game appropriate bases, in this particular case either a 25mm base or a 40mm base. Try to avoid putting the conversion on bases larger then 40mm.

Limitation 4:

NO PARTS/BITS OF THE ORIGINAL MODEL, NO EXEMPTIONS! further, only 25% of the model may be in metal, (so a torso OR the legs OR the head and the holstered sword ... etc.)

the rest of the model may exist out of any material your hart desires: plastic, greenstuf, plasticard, resin, even modeling wood for all I care

Those are the only limitations.

happy? now stop whining and get to work

also: a :thanks: to KhorneHunter57x for stopping the spaming on the Challenge topic

If Wings wants to change this he is more then welcome to since he is running the CC this time around.

actually, no he isn't :cuss

If Wings wants to change this he is more then welcome to since he is running the CC this time around.

actually, no he isn't :lol:

Absolutely, WarInHeaven is running the show this time around, and so far I think he's doing a great job. I'm really excited about refreshing some of the older character models, just struggling to decide which one to do!

Don't give WarInHeaven a load of grief guys, after all there's no prize here just a bit of kudos and a sig banner at stake.

Just to make sure I understand the parameters here, and I probably do not, but is the idea to (a) redo "ANY" power armored/tactical dreadnought armored character that was available in 3rd edition but is not now, or is it (:rolleyes: redo "ANY" power armored/tactical dreadnought armored model that was available in 3rd edition but is not now, or is it © redo "ANY" power armored/tactical dreadnought armored model regardless of if another model currently exists for them now?

So for instance to hoepfully clarify what I am saying above, an example of (a) might be Captain Cortez of the Crimson Fists; (:lol: might be a Black Templar Neophyte Biker and © might be a brand new converted model of Marneus Calgar.

I think (a) would be extremely limited as I can think of 2 loyalist marine characters from 3rd edition that do not currently exist in a new form. (:D Is also kind of tough as you would need to know what models that used to be available only in metal and are not now currently legal models. Finally © leaves things fairly wide open for the most variety of conversion possibilities but places almost no limites whatsoever on the contest, other than requiring power/tactical dreadnought armor.

Just to make sure I understand the parameters here, and I probably do not, but is the idea to (a) redo "ANY" power armored/tactical dreadnought armored character that was available in 3rd edition but is not now, or is it (;) redo "ANY" power armored/tactical dreadnought armored model that was available in 3rd edition but is not now, or is it © redo "ANY" power armored/tactical dreadnought armored model regardless of if another model currently exists for them now?

So for instance to hoepfully clarify what I am saying above, an example of (a) might be Captain Cortez of the Crimson Fists; (B) might be a Black Templar Neophyte Biker and © might be a brand new converted model of Marneus Calgar.

I think (a) would be extremely limited as I can think of 2 loyalist marine characters from 3rd edition that do not currently exist in a new form. (B) Is also kind of tough as you would need to know what models that used to be available only in metal and are not now currently legal models. Finally © leaves things fairly wide open for the most variety of conversion possibilities but places almost no limites whatsoever on the contest, other than requiring power/tactical dreadnought armor.

my concept was to take an 'older model' (older model having the meaning of having not been updated in the last 5+ years) and convert a new model to represent that specific character. So like Ragnar Blackmane has had the same model since... I think Rouge Trader days. It's still a good looking model, but the general quality from the entire range has long since passed it. Also the model itself is very 2D and static. There's no concept of action or motion to it, ironic considering that Ragnar's always been characterized as very aggressive and hot headed.

That was my original concept anyway. If Wings had a different plan in mind, he'll need to explain it.

Archived