Interested in a conversion challenge?

help me guys (its only friendly competition)

i've got modelers block.... ;)

i've lost all inspiration - chuck me some of the ideas you knocked back (if you want)

only the ones you didn't do at the end, i have the part, and more than enough bits to do almost anything with it

but help!

I was thinking about doing a Grot in Mega-Armour, but changed my mind at the last minute to do something a bit more conventional! ;)

WingsOfTheFalcon : erm, cheers, might have to use cassius combi flamer now, just cos i can!

:P

Also, a bit gutted that one of the models already posted is in a virtually identical pose to my one ;) totally different concept though so it will make for an interesting comparison!

Also, a bit gutted that one of the models already posted is in a virtually identical pose to my one ;) totally different concept though so it will make for an interesting comparison!

Oooooo, the suspense! Can't wait to see everyone's entries :P

Just got my Chronus blister. I've got some ideas percolating right now, we'll see where they go. I fell asleep last night thinking about the ideas (which turned into some weird dreams). I think I'm gonna have a little fun with this one. :D

Chronus brotherly love? Please don't model that.

Some WIP shots :P

http://i.imagehost.org/t/0138/DSC00164.jpg

http://i.imagehost.org/t/0743/DSC00165.jpghttp://i.imagehost.org/t/0938/DSC00167.jpghttp://i.imagehost.org/t/0846/DSC00168.jpg

Lots of ground to cover yet but it will be a Master of the Forge with Conversion Beamer on Bike :P

How's everyone else getting on?

Also, a bit gutted that one of the models already posted is in a virtually identical pose to my one :( totally different concept though so it will make for an interesting comparison!

Oooooo, the suspense! Can't wait to see everyone's entries :tu:

Nice WIPs WingsOfFalcon...and sorry for being the difficult one, I presume it was me judging on your WIPs? :P

Anyone else out there doing this?

Also, a bit gutted that one of the models already posted is in a virtually identical pose to my one :P totally different concept though so it will make for an interesting comparison!

Oooooo, the suspense! Can't wait to see everyone's entries :)

Nice WIPs WingsOfFalcon...and sorry for being the difficult one, I presume it was me judging on your WIPs? :(

not well, think i know what i'm doing now, and got started at work yesterday; and promptly speared a sculpting tool under my finger nail

ouchy!

Also, a bit gutted that one of the models already posted is in a virtually identical pose to my one :Elite: totally different concept though so it will make for an interesting comparison!

Oooooo, the suspense! Can't wait to see everyone's entries :D

Nice WIPs WingsOfFalcon...and sorry for being the difficult one, I presume it was me judging on your WIPs? :Troops:

not well, think i know what i'm doing now, and got started at work yesterday; and promptly speared a sculpting tool under my finger nail

ouchy!

I rededicated my Defiler to Khorne. With my own blood!!!

Any Questions?

What is the required part and why isn't it mentioned in the first post?

The Required Part, as outlined and displayed on Post 1 of the challenge thread itself, is the Chronus Tank commander torso;

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/maverike_prime/My%20Work%20Space/bit-chronus_torso.jpg

And it is mentioned in the first post, of the challenge thread itself. It seemed a safer and less confusing option to list the required part in the first post of the actual challenge thread itself then to re-edit the first post of the information and questions thread (This thread) each time the challenge itself is issued.

Hey Midnight Angel. Glad to see you got your conversion finished. Are those Aseroth's legs? I can understand how much of a pain in the butt getting clear and in focus images of models can be. You won't be penilized for the images, but I would greatly advise you to try and get better images submitted prior to the deadline.

Nope, the legs are actually lemartes. I took lemartes legs, head and crozius arm, and attached it to the chronos torso. Its not a complicated conversion but it lookes rather seemless in the end. I had orginally thought about using some plastic legs from the death company, one of the ones with the parchment in between the legs, but these legs looked really good, as if hes leading the death company on and pointing them in the right direction, yet still has some movement and isn't so static looking. The plastic legs i would have used would have made him look like he was running more and at the angle of the torso wouldn't have made a great fit anyways so it turned out to be the better choice.

I added a few plastic purity seals from the death company sprue plus the plastic back pack. I trimmed a few ammo pouches off the legs and the grenades so they would match up to the torso better, but was able to keep the scroll work on one leg. I will keep trying to see about better pics, but i keep having an issue with the glare off the metal. If i don't use a desklamp the image comes out really dark and i can't make out the detail, if i use the flash the glare is much worse. I finally got these by not using the flash and it helped, but i have to figure out how to cut down the glare from the desklamp. maybe i will have to do the light from the side or something. I will fiddle with it this weekend some, but its getting really frustrating cause i can't seem to get good shots of this guy or my dante conversion which is made from plastics. Neither of them are taking photos well in there unpainted form, and its bugging the crap out of me.

A trick I use for my miniature pics:

Take an open box, and put a layer of white paper on the inside bottom surface (The surface opposite the open end). Then Cover the other four inner surfaces in tin foil (Try to keep the foil as neat and unwrinkled as possible). Like this:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/maverike_prime/box-1.jpg

This allows you to difuse the light by bouncing it off the sides, top and bottom, relative to the miniature.

thanks, i might have to try that one. I have a foldable photo box that my wife bought me for taking pictures of small objects to put on ebay. However when i use it for the miniatures i still tend to get glare, but it uses blue surfaces in place of the tin foil. I got a few boxes lieing around so i might just build one of those to see what i can get. When i take pics of painted minis i don't have as many problems unless its a white surface or highlight reflective surfaces such as this pewter.

I find not using a flash helps a lot and if your camera has one, macro mode helps a lot to focus on the detail. Another key thing is to use natural light, but ideally not direct sunlight as this can cause a lot of reflections/shadow. :)

Archived