Interested in a conversion challenge?

How about the Space Marine Commander Box Set? Its only 3 USD more expensive than Chronus was and I don't know about you guys but in my store there are quite a few boxes lying around as opposed to the complete absence of one specialized little blister. Not to mention there are a ton of bits in the box. I would suggest either using the eagle-head backpack or the torso from the box.

How about the Space Marine Commander Box Set? Its only 3 USD more expensive than Chronus was and I don't know about you guys but in my store there are quite a few boxes lying around as opposed to the complete absence of one specialized little blister. Not to mention there are a ton of bits in the box. I would suggest either using the eagle-head backpack or the torso from the box.

Maybe we can do a theme and make the theme the Blood Angles Books by James Swallow.

Sounds like a good idea Ferrus Manus, the only drawback that I can see is that people might not know the descriptions of some characters as they haven't read the books in question. Saying that though, I do like the idea and I think doing a Horus Heresy style one could be quite cool as well :)

James

How much conversion allowed on the actual piece itself?

e.g. Say the piece is the PAGK Nemesis Force weapon, but we find that the "rod" of the halberd between the hand and the blade is too short, so we cut that piece out and substitute a plasticard rod (which, in the end, looks the same - just longer).

How much conversion allowed on the actual piece itself?

e.g. Say the piece is the PAGK Nemesis Force weapon, but we find that the "rod" of the halberd between the hand and the blade is too short, so we cut that piece out and substitute a plasticard rod (which, in the end, looks the same - just longer).

We (The judges) need to be able to Identify the required part in the finished conversion.

A good example of the limits that are acceptable under this would be Brother Captain Sharp's entry.

He took the contents of the entire blister, not just the 1 required bit, and spread them out across a dozen models. You have to look a bit, but he used the required bit... on multiple models. It's really impressive, and helps remind me to keep my mouth shut!

If you want to build a gigantic Army A clashing with Army B diorama where the leaders of the two armies are conversions utilizing the required bit

I have removed that particular line from the guide lines. ;)

Also, what would everyone think about the judging being a poll format?

considerable, but i have it seen backfire before, mostly due to lack of voters or participants with a lot of friends

but in combination with a judge team, it could work rather well

My suggestion for the themed idea would be keep it as an idea rather than something like a character. Just thinking that if it is an idea it gives entrants more freedom. But then we raise the issue of if this is a skill contest or a make-something-nice contest. Perhaps we could have judges for the skill element, but have a poll to vote on the look-nice element?

1) Lysander's Body (maverike_prime)

2) Dorn's Arrow (WingsOfTheFalcon)

3) SM Commander Eagle Pack (Hasoroth)

4) terminator captain body (WarInHeaven)

5) ?

6) ?

Updated :)

Why not theme it around artwork?

This I like, all my favourite 40k conversion have always been based on the artwork.

maybe ask the participants to post the original artwork along with pics of the mini,

That might be against IP if we post too many images. Probably easier just to give a page reference or a link to another site which has the image.

And this is why I tend to avoid working with groups. My two co-judges seem to have fallen off the face of the planet. One is apparently "Out on business" and I haven't heard from him in 10 days and the other no longer works at the hobby center he used to work at and his former manager doesn't know where he is now (Or doesn't care to tell me).

Any objections to my doing a solo-judging so I can declare a winner and move on with the next challenge?

Now watch, just because I'm posted this I'm gonna hear back from the both of them tomorrow. But wait, since I just said that I'm not going to hear from them. Damn it! Irony, you and I need to have a loooong chat!

And this is why I tend to avoid working with groups. My two co-judges seem to have fallen off the face of the planet. One is apparently "Out on business" and I haven't heard from him in 10 days and the other no longer works at the hobby center he used to work at and his former manager doesn't know where he is now (Or doesn't care to tell me).

Any objections to my doing a solo-judging so I can declare a winner and move on with the next challenge?

Now watch, just because I'm posted this I'm gonna hear back from the both of them tomorrow. But wait, since I just said that I'm not going to hear from them. Damn it! Irony, you and I need to have a loooong chat!

I'm not gonna say "I told you so" (well actually I am :) ) but this is why I thought that it would be better to get someone from this forum to co-judge with you :)

Btw, I couldn't join this challenge as it overlapped with a truckload of exams of mine, but I'm definitely in the next one!

I'm not gonna say "I told you so" (well actually I am :P ) but this is why I thought that it would be better to get someone from this forum to co-judge with you :)

I did try and get one of the admins to co-judge. I received a resounding "We're pretty busy, but we'll keep an eye open for it". Anyway, I am totally swamped with School this week end, not to mention attending 4 graduation ceremonies and parties. I have picked a winner, but I don't have time to make the banner right now. Hopefully I will get it done by Wednesday.

Archived