Interested in a conversion challenge?

Better hurry Wings. You have a couple days left before the deadline.

think i'm dropping out; sucks; but other things got in the way. sorry guys, i will try and finish the model when i can, and post it; but know i'm out of the competition

:wub:

hey kids. 2 things.

1: 2 days left till the dead line. Remember, the deadline is June 10 at 10am EST. I will try to post as close to 10am as I possibly can to announce the close of the challenge.

2: I had a bit of a brain storm for the next challenge and I wanted to see what sort of reaction I get to it.

Instead of having a required part, it would be closer to a theme. Basically, here's my thought: Characters. We know there are several characters that could use an update to be inline with the newest kits. Heres how it would work. Challenge contestants would have 90 days (Yes, that says 3 months) to pick the character they wish to convert, acquire the materials, and complete the conversion. There would be 3 limitations, well 4 since we're on Bolter and Chainsword.

1) It would be a character from a current Codex.

2) You could only use plastic kits. So if you choose to do an Abaddon conversion, you can NOT use any parts from the pewter miniature.

3) When you post, you can NOT state who the character is. That will be part of the test for the challenge. Can you make a model that is the character and is recognizable as that character.

So, what do you all think?

Sounds interesting, though I must say I do think the pressure of doing it in a month is a good thing.

I like the ideal of an anonymous SC challenge, a great opportunity to build up some 'count-as' SCs for your army.

Best specify on the use of resin components as well though, otherwise it'll end up as a FW fest! :tu:

As we're on B&C, best specify it as PA only too.

After my last post I went away and compiled a list of all the Special Characters from the current codexes (which with your permission I can post up), but after doing this I have a couple of questions;

Would the Legion of the Damned would be excluded from this challenge? I ask because they are listed in the 'Special Characters' section of Codex:Space Marines.

Would you include the 'Special Characters' from Codex: Daemons? I ask because they are currently supported by the B&C but are by their nature not power armoured.

thanks

James

i like this one.

character inn codex or BL or fluff or all of the above?

(skimmed through new challenge sorry if i missed the info - busy at work)

just read it now, from any current codex

i seem to be blind

I've followed this thread with great entusiasm Maverike. Brilliant idea and fantastic execution of it. :)

I very much look forward to the next challenge and hopefully I'll be able to participate without problem this time around. ;)

TDA

Would you include the 'Special Characters' from Codex: Daemons? I ask because they are currently supported by the B&C but are by their nature not power armoured.

hmm... good question Pig. I hadn't considered that. My gut reaction is to say 'no' simply because this is "BOLTER" and "CHAINSWORD".com and demons have neither. However I do recall a mod saying that Deamons were okay given their history of being part of the Chaos Marine Forces. I'll toss an email to the mods and ask.

After my last post I went away and compiled a list of all the Special Characters from the current codexes (which with your permission I can post up), but after doing this I have a couple of questions;

Hold off on posting that list until I clear the Daemon question with the mods. I'd like to avoid the 'back peddle' effect if at all possible.

Would the Legion of the Damned would be excluded from this challenge? I ask because they are listed in the 'Special Characters' section of Codex:Space Marines.

For the moment I am going to say yes, the Legion of the Damned would be excluded from the challenge, because while they are a special unit, they are not a special character. While there has been a named LoTD sergeant, Sergent Centurius if memory serves, in the current Codexes there are no actual characters for the LoTD. You get a unit of Legionnaires and if this next Challenge goes forward as I suggested, the point would be to convert Special Characters, not units.

dont have time to enter the first competition cos i have an exam tomorrow ;)

although i do already have a converted model with this peice so i may just squeeze it in on the last day :P

Challenge contestants would have 90 days (Yes, that says 3 months) to pick the character they wish to convert, acquire the materials, and complete the conversion.

as this is a conversion competition i feel 3 months is too long (think about it you can only have 4 a year!) i can understand 3 months for a painting comp, as the model needs to be converted and then painted

but as this is the conversion only i think it would be better to have this as a monthly feature, this way if people miss out on the start then they only have to wait a couple of weeks before the next one starts

rather than a couple of months

i just wrote a second long post then closed it by accident so ill make it shorter ;)

basically dont you think that the theme of a special character is far too broad?

i counted up all of the power armoured codex's special characters and there are 43!

is it me or is comparing (potentially) 43 entries that are based on entirely different concepts going to be much more complex or bias (im going to prefer a space wolf model as i play space wolves and prefer their aesthetic)

for example the one of the B&C painting competitions was to paint the AoBR terminator without conversions, that is a single model, with next to no variation making it easy to judge/compare entries

do you see what im saying?

combined with my previous post, if you had narrower themes in combination with shorter competition times. people who dont like the competition theme, or dont have time can wait a month and take part in the next one

Hmm, I hadn't actually gone through and counted the number of characters in the codex. I just did, and even with out having Codex:Daemons in front of me, I came out to 40 characters. Seeing as the current challenge got 6 entries, thus far, I can see how a character based challenge could wind up with one Dark Angel, one Space puppy, 1 Blood Angel, 1 ultramarine, 1 Salamander, 1 Khorne Lord and 1 Slaanesh lord. it would sort of cancel itself out.

Hmm... perhaps simply limiting it to Chapter Masters and Chaos Lords.

hm... if anyone else has an idea, please toss it up and lets talk about it. There seems to be a fair amount of interest in making this a regular event and with the turn out we've gotten so far I think that can be made to happen, so I don't see a reason why we can't have several concepts.

of course if this does become a regular event I am NOT judging every single one of them! I Want to be able to enter the challenge myself at some point! :devil:

just a thought, perhaps you could come up with a profile for a marine commander, with wargear and items pre chosen by you (you could make a loyalist marine and chaos marine profile) and see who comes up with the best rendition?

just a thought, perhaps you could come up with a profile for a marine commander, with wargear and items pre chosen by you (you could make a loyalist marine and chaos marine profile) and see who comes up with the best rendition?

hmm, that's a thought. The only problem I see with that if it may not be a kit-set that would be applicable to an individual's army. I mean a Wolf Lord is going to have vastly different equipment then a Dark Angles Commander or a Dark apostle.

hmm, that's a thought. The only problem I see with that if it may not be a kit-set that would be applicable to an individual's army. I mean a Wolf Lord is going to have vastly different equipment then a Dark Angles Commander or a Dark apostle.

Yeah thats true, people wouldn't be able to make anything, but i think it would be interesting to see the variety of what starts off as the same thing? might be too hard to regulate though

Wow, some cool conversions got entered while I was away. I really like them, all of them. A lot of cool creative pieces.

I'm planning on finishing mine tonight, though I've still got a lot of sanding, GS'ing, and assembling to do before I'm done. We'll see, might have to pull an all nighter to make it. I usually am much better at converting quickly, but I've been slammed recently, so almost all the work is being done today, with a little prep yesterday. I love just barely making deadlines! :P

As for the next challenge, I love the idea. Special Characters are my favorite thing to convert, so any excuse to make another one is cool with me. :D

Wow, some cool conversions got entered while I was away. I really like them, all of them. A lot of cool creative pieces.

I'm planning on finishing mine tonight, though I've still got a lot of sanding, GS'ing, and assembling to do before I'm done. We'll see, might have to pull an all nighter to make it. I usually am much better at converting quickly, but I've been slammed recently, so almost all the work is being done today, with a little prep yesterday. I love just barely making deadlines! :P

As for the next challenge, I love the idea. Special Characters are my favorite thing to convert, so any excuse to make another one is cool with me. :D

Yeah thats true, people wouldn't be able to make anything, but i think it would be interesting to see the variety of what starts off as the same thing? might be too hard to regulate though

The beauty of "Counts-as" my friends!

For instance; something along the lines of "Lord/Master with Terminator Armour, Power Weapon and a legal ranged weapon of your choice"?

There's nothing stopping you from making a Power Weapon that easily would double as a Daemon Weapon/Frost Blade/Relic Blade/Force Weapon/Whatever-you-want ;)

TDA

I'm planning on finishing mine tonight, though I've still got a lot of sanding, GS'ing, and assembling to do before I'm done. We'll see, might have to pull an all nighter to make it. I usually am much better at converting quickly, but I've been slammed recently, so almost all the work is being done today, with a little prep yesterday. I love just barely making deadlines! :D

As for the next challenge, I love the idea. Special Characters are my favorite thing to convert, so any excuse to make another one is cool with me. ;)

Better get to work Sharp. You have less then 18 hours left to get your submission in.

Now I'm having visions of Sharp pulling an all-nighter to finish his entry and he winds up cutting his finger off.

For instance; something along the lines of "Lord/Master with Terminator Armour, Power Weapon and a legal ranged weapon of your choice"?

There's nothing stopping you from making a Power Weapon that easily would double as a Daemon Weapon/Frost Blade/Relic Blade/Force Weapon/Whatever-you-want :D

Good point Dark.

Hmm, as it stands there are currently 3 options on the discussion table for the next Challenge.

1) Required Part system. Same as the present challenge, just different part.

2) Theme based challenge. Make a Commander/Lord for instance.

3) A character based challenge. The challenge is to convert a speccific character, or a counts-as character.

Each have their pluses and minuses.

Option 1 has the advantage of not needing to figure everything out again, with the exception of the required part. No worries there, I have the dart board just need suggestions for the parts to put on it.

Option 2 has the advantage of being much more open and less restricted to particapants, but I fear this could be problematic for the judges. I mean how do you compare a Thousand Sons Sorcerer Lord to a Space Wolf Lord?

Option 3 is certainly an interesting idea, though as you can see there's a lot of questions about it.

I guess this leaves us with a biggie question to answer first: How soon do you want the next challenge announced? If we do option 1, I can announce the next challenge the same day I announce the winner of the present challenge. If we do option 2 or option 3, we will need time to hash out details, figure out what the limitations are and how to enforce them.

Archived