International Brotherhood of Hobbyists

Yeah, the wings look ace, as well as the prince and terminator. I plan on starting a chaos(-ish) army, and need some tips on painting brown and white. You guys got any?

- Natanael

For painting brown, start with a black basecoat and build up from there. It depends on if you want a dark brown or a lighter brown or if you want a dusty look as to what browns you use.

When painting white, starting with a bluey-grey basecoat and gradually adding more white into the mix works. Wash the basecoat with watered down Badab black first though to add some definition and shading.

Congratulations on the wins Astador!

Thanks for the comments guys. I should hopefully have some more of the wings' owner painted shortly so I'll put some photos up when I do :)

cheers

James

Thanks mate! Hopefully you'll have pictures for us soon!

Yeah, the wings look ace, as well as the prince and terminator. I plan on starting a chaos(-ish) army, and need some tips on painting brown and white. You guys got any?

- Natanael

- Natanael

For painting brown, start with a black basecoat and build up from there. It depends on if you want a dark brown or a lighter brown or if you want a dusty look as to what browns you use.

When painting white, starting with a bluey-grey basecoat and gradually adding more white into the mix works. Wash the basecoat with watered down Badab black first though to add some definition and shading.

Lestat basically said it all. I usually start with a basecoat of Umbral Umbral, almost like scorched brown a little greener, over any colour of primer, then begin highlighting with bestial brown, finally adding a little jack bone for the final highlights before washing it with devlan mud.

On a recipe note, I was thinking of doing some tutorials while I work on some generic stuff. Anything you guys want to see?

Well guy's my birthday's coming any advice on model's to get?

I'm starting a new group of sanguinary guard color's i'll keep you posted with some of my progress and studies.

Thank's, jack

I did mess up a bit on th wing's with the shadow but ohwell, when you click on the link it will say download image at the right it will enlarge the image but let me know.

I had this BA on my computer for ages i never uploaded it though.

Blood angels

Thank's i'll keep you updated the guard each man will have diffrent color's ike the the four horsemen Silver (death) red (war) Gold (famine).

I dont know what to do for plague. please help color wise

That's some pretty cool digital art there Tarkus. I really like the clack and silver one :(.

Well, it's been a bit of an eventful day for me. I've been having some numbness in my left arm for a few days and had some pain in my chest last night, so I thought I'd better get my self check just to be on the safe side. Long story short I was taken to hospital to have a heap of tests done. Thankfully everything's fine with my heart but they couldn't explain what's been going on so I've been told to take it easy for a couple of days just to be on the safe side. I've decided to make a few changes to my lifestyle though as I found out today that there's a lot of history of heart problems in my family.

Back on the subject of the hobby again, I've got some photos of my mysterious 'in midnight clad, upon wings of blood' project to show off:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/inmidnightclad4.jpghttp://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/inmidnightclad3.jpg

The glowing jump pack nozzles were done using Brother Captain's technique. I really recommend you find an excuse to try it because it is insanely easy to do, and lends itself to being tried with different colours as well :).

cheers

James

Your guys stuff looks awesome. I would like to join. My stuff is coming along but with some help I think I can take it to the next level.

I can post some pics but my digital camera cant get close up shots, just blur....

Well James, Pig of Sparta, does the official welcomes, so I'm sure he'll swing around soon. <_<

We're here to help though and anything you need we can try our best to help you out!

So post up some pictures!

On your camera have you turned the Macro setting on? Should be a little flower. I know it sounds stupid to ask but its something we all forget sometimes! :)

Welcome to the IBH Brother Anthony! I'll add you name to the members list shortly. Don't forget to check out our dedicated forum when you get the chance as well :teehee:.

On the subject of photography, unless you've got a professional lighting set up, make sure your camera's set on 'AUTO' as well. This mode of shooting will automatically adjust to the lighting conditions, as well as distance to the subject as well. On my camera it's a wee camera icon. What Astador said about the macro setting is important as well. Oh and unless you're taking photos in pitch black conditions, leave the flash off as well as it'll either over expose the photo or just distprt the colours, both of which are bad....

Thanks for the comments on; in midnight clad...' Don't worry Astador, the gold will be getting shaded as soon as I add the boltgun metal to the rest of the weapons' casings/teeth/nozzles/etc.

cheers

James

Congratulations on the wins Astador!

Thanks for the comments guys. I should hopefully have some more of the wings' owner painted shortly so I'll put some photos up when I do :)

cheers

James

Thanks mate! Hopefully you'll have pictures for us soon!

- Natanael

- Natanael

Lestat basically said it all. I usually start with a basecoat of Umbral Umbral, almost like scorched brown a little greener, over any colour of primer, then begin highlighting with bestial brown, finally adding a little jack bone for the final highlights before washing it with devlan mud.

On a recipe note, I was thinking of doing some tutorials while I work on some generic stuff. Anything you guys want to see?

Yeah, tutorials are great! I want them :P And thanks for the tips, both Lestat and Astador.

- Natanael

Hey Astador grats on the wins!

Mini is looking great so far James, I'm sure the wings are going to look awesome on it.

I also have something to share today! This is a wip shot of the piece i've been working on for awhile now, it's my 3d version of one of the exellent portrait drawings done by Tony over at the illuminatus forum (LINK) I'd encourage all to look through not only his but all the great work there, it's a great source of inspiration!

anyways here's what I have so far, this is a ambient occlusion render I did which lacks all the details I have so far but hey this is a WIP thread right?

http://i593.photobucket.com/albums/tt17/bro_ussell/globalAOcopy.jpg

Well haven't sat down for tutorials yet because I sat down and painted some DC marines!

First 5 of 20 finished! If I can do 5 a day then I can finish 1850 pts in less than a week! :D

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo161/WarForgeStudios/Personal%20Armies/blood%20angels/3aaf53bd.jpg

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo161/WarForgeStudios/Personal%20Armies/blood%20angels/aade1150.jpg

I'll take new pictures in the daylight since it's about 2:30am when I took the pictures!

Archived