Carcharadons

simply put.... Awesomesauce ;)

these are very realistic and gritty just what the 41st millenium needs !

brilliant paintjobs,look forward to more!!

Mithril

* p.s. - PM sent regarding your imperial fist model from an earlier post .

Bruno Rizzo eh?

Now that's a compliment, I love his Tau army.

Not that it really influenced me, but he's a great artist ;)

So I had so much fun painting human skin that I decided to paint the head for my upcoming Sergeant.

I don't have all the parts for his body yet so I borrowed one from one of my tactical marines in Maximus armour.

My second real attempt at painting human skin:

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r238/Machinepriest/Hobby/TheSergeantshead600.jpg

It looks very realistic and the black eyes fit very well.

Scars would be a nice touch as well.

Vulkan

PS: In my comment above, only to minutes before: What have you got coming apart from the sergeant?

In my comment above, only to minutes before: What have you got coming apart from the sergeant?

Well I should finish the Tactical Squad before I move on to anything else.

I'm not sure which heavy weapon to pick for the squad though or how to arm the Sergeant...

Probably bolt pistol and Powerfist.

Some advice would REALLY be appreciated here ;)

When the Tactical squad is done I will probably paint more shooty Terminators or start on the Termies with Lightning Claws that Tyberos will lead.

As soon as Forgeworld decides to release the Carcharodon transfer sheet I'm ordering Tyberos and perhaps a Ironclad Dreadnought.

A Rhino or perhaps two Razorbacks for the Tactical Marines or perhaps even a Drop Pod.

I'm not sure which heavy weapon to pick for the squad though or how to arm the Sergeant...

Probably bolt pistol and Powerfist.

Some advice would REALLY be appreciated here :lol:

If you have the bits, magnetize the arms and make them all. You may want to magnetize the Plasmagun as well. Being able to change it to a Meltagun or Flamer comes in handy. Power Fist and Bolt Pistol seems a good idea for the Tactical Sergeant.

DUDE! That's crazy. I don't even understand how you can get it looking that good. Fits right in the the sharkies fluff about them being super pale, my only comment would be that the eyes should just be black with gloss over them, since the fluff for them in IA10 basically says their eyes are completely black (kinda like a shark, who would have guessed?).

Can you put up a tutorial for this? or post a link if you used a tutorial to get there. I'd like to use bare heads if my results could match yours.

If you have the bits, magnetize the arms and make them all. You may want to magnetize the Plasmagun as well. Being able to change it to a Meltagun or Flamer comes in handy. Power Fist and Bolt Pistol seems a good idea for the Tactical Sergeant.

Magnetizing heavy weapons is a PAIN unless you go for the new shoulder mounted ones from Forgeworld which I just might do.

I like the look of the plastic heavy's better though, but having ancient wargear is a bit of a theme in my army and for the Carcharodons in general so I'm not sure what to do...

As some people might have guessed I'm more of a painter than a gamer so I'm not sure which choices are best.

I've heard a lot about how Missile Launchers are a safe bet for Tactical squads while others say that Multimeltas are the way to go... :P

And oh, the plasmagun is magnetized :D There's a photo of it on page 2 I believe.

Pirate Metal Troy: Thanks man! ;) I'm pretty pleased with the skin myself! I've overcome a big fear of mine here :P

The skin is a basecoat of Dheneb stone shaded with a thinned mix of Dheneb Stone, purple and Charadon Granite.

I then glaze the skin with super thin washes of red and brown. After that I highlight with Dheneb Stone and Dheneb Stone + White.

As far as tactial squad loadouts are concerned, you're gonna want to go SGT /w powerfist + combi-flamer, meltagun, and either a plasma cannon or a missile launcher. THe main resoning for the SGT is that if you put a flamer in the squad, it eats up his bolter, and you lose ranged firepower. Furthermore, if you're firing a flamer, you're charging into combat (it's space sharks, so of COURSE you're charging) and generally speaking, if marines go into combat, they're not coming back out. So that flamer will only ever get fired once per game. Why not spend a couple points and take a metltagun (which can potentially get to fire more than once per game) and a combi flamer to fill the roll of the "once-per-game" flamer. Powerfist speaks for itself. power weapon + meltabombs is 5 points less, but dreadnoughts (furioso + ironclad) will eat you alive if you don't have a powerfist. Let's face it, with the rage special rule (from tyberos) you's gonna want to be able to punch through that land raider rather than standing in front of it helplessly all game.

Plasma cannon is really only good when there's a lot of them in the army. Like all things in warhammer, one of them is seldom enough to cause a real problem. Missile launchers are also free, and have dual purpose. Generally multi-melta's range is too short to be useful on a highly mobile unit like tacticals. Heavy bolter is underwhemling to say the least, and lascannon cost WAY too much, especially for a weapon you're rarely gonna get to use anyways. If you think you'll face lots of termies, take plasma, if there's a lot of mech, then it may be prudent to fill out with missile launchers and try to cover a couple bases that way. Liek you said, magnetized weapons may be the way to go. Or just swap out entire marines from the squads when you need other weapons. You're a painter/modeller anyways :P

if you take a fist dont take a bolt pistol, take a bolter instead (combi weapons are prefered) if 1 bolt pistol shot is going to make all the difference a powerfist wasnt necessary.. and if it needs a powerfist to kill it.. chances are that bolt pistol isnt necessary either.

plus boltguns look cooler and combi weapons offer a much more practical choice.. if hes going up close and personal you should be rolling with combi flamer & fist, flamer and either a missile launcher or multimelta because theyre free.. personally i tend to roll with multimeltas on tactical marines with a transport of some sort.. meltaguns are all well and good but think about it.. 6" move + 6" melta range = the same as standing still with a multimelta and you dont sacrifice the flamer.. its a weapon of opportunity.. tbh if your tacticals are doing the tank hunting for you somethings probably gone wrong or theyre a suicide unit armed with a combi melta, melta, and a multimelta (just in case)

the flesh looks nice, its got a suitably pale look to it which i think works for the carcharadons without looking too desaturated.. i do however think he needs his tongue painted.

Thanks a lot for the input people.

I'll try to magnetize my Sergeant so that he can chose between Bolter and Combi weapons.

Haven't decided on Heavy Weapon yet, but I ordered the new set from Forgeworld which should be quite easy to magnetize.

Can't wait to get it all :)

Sergeant will probably get a suit of Iron Armour.

This is what I got incoming:

TYBEROS THE RED WAKE

MK III IRON ARMOUR

SPACE MARINE HEAVY WEAPONS SET

SPACE MARINE BOLTER - UMBRA PATTERN X10

Now I just need the FORGEWORLD MISSILE LAUNCHER.

Anyone got a spare one? ^_^

Thanks Vulkan, but I got it sorted.

Bought one from Ebay for about 6£ including shipping.

Not a great deal, but hey.

Also got a rather nice E-mail from Forgeworld about a certain decal sheet:

"We are hoping to release the decal sheet in the first week of July.

Thanks

Tris Buckroyd"

-Happydance-

Now I'm off to paint a magnetized heavy flamer for the Terminator I posted previously.

Your models are awesome, I couldn't believe it when you said you weren't comfortable with your painting, its amazing! And is that seriously the first time you've attempted skin? Really good work dude, keep it up, can't wait to see some more! How about some Polynesian style free hand if you want to try and push yourself? I'm sure the end result will be amazing!

Those are great, as someone else said...brutal.

They have that old skool RT feel to them. They look like they could do horrible, horrible things in the Imperiums name.

The only thing I can think of is some gore on the chainblades, given how savage they can be, with possibly some splattering. Glistening red will contrast nicely against the grey, but then again it becomes less simple. I am sure there is a tutorial on here using Tamiya clear red with GW red and brown inks mixed. Then again less is also more...*shrugs*

As for weapons, I always give my Tactical PF sergeants a boltgun or a combi-bolter (usually flamer as it can hit loads of targets and ignores cover). With no extra attack for the pistol in close combat I find having the extra bolter shot means he can contribute to the same target as the rest of the squad, and when combat squading that extra shot (or two when rapid firing) really helps. Then again I rarely give them a PF as for those points I can practically get two more marines, and facing horde armies means I am somewhat biaised.

As someone else said magnetising can help :)

Just a quick update.

Still waiting for my Marine goodness from Forgeworld, but as we don't get mail during the weekends here in Sweden, I'll have to wait till Monday or even Wednesday to get my new models :(

SO... I decided to paint up another shooty Terminator until I get all the parts I need to finish the Tactical Squad.

I'm very satisfied with the result so far.

I'm incorporating more white into the colour scheme for this Termie which I think looks good.

I might do the same with the Sergeant for the Tacticals.

The only thing I can think of is some gore on the chainblades, given how savage they can be, with possibly some splattering. Glistening red will contrast nicely against the grey, but then again it becomes less simple. I am sure there is a tutorial on here using Tamiya clear red with GW red and brown inks mixed. Then again less is also more...*shrugs*

I have already considered that :P

I'm all for less is more, but some gore would look nice on the matte grey armour, and I've seen some great blood done with Tamiya's clear red.

Going to try it out if I can get my hands on some.

Another Terminator is done!

I tried to get more white into the colour scheme this time which I think looks pretty good.

This also shows my first real attempt at micro text.

I used a micro pen, corrected any mistakes with paint and then glazed the text with a thin mix of paint and matte varnish to create a faded effect.

Black text simply 'popped' too much.

I can see that the glaze was a bit heavy as the bottom of the V disappeared...

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r238/Machinepriest/Hobby/Terminatornr2800.jpg

Here's a shot of the new guy with his brother.

This time sporting his new magnetized Heavy Flamer.

I'm really starting to hate painting those black/yellow cables...

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r238/Machinepriest/Hobby/TwoTerminators800.jpg

I didn't put any grass tufts on the new one since I'm not sure if it's something I want for the whole army yet.

I've also painted another bare head!

I didn't have any spare headless Carcharodons to put it on so a Blood Angel I painted as a test mini earlier this year had to suffice.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r238/Machinepriest/Hobby/BloodAngel.jpg

Got a package from Forgeworld today as well

Spent an hour or so scrubbing of the release agent with dish-soap and my trusty electric toothbrush.

I really recommend getting one of these if you work a lot with resin models as it makes cleaning them soooo much easier and quicker.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r238/Machinepriest/Hobby/Newstuff.jpg

Anyway, hope you like the new minis.

Comments are very much appreciated as always :)

Cheers // Andreas

Lovely models there. You say you use a small sponge for the chips in the armour, i have tried that with no luck any chance you could put a pic of teh sponge next to a mini for size etc.

Thanks

despite this being a charcaradon topic.. i want the recipe for that blood angel.. hes just the right amount of subtle whilst still being quite a vivid red.

id like to see that head on a different body though, i think the skin tone looks good, but against the red armour i cant tell so well, it looks a little more vivid than the last one whilst still keeping the pale look.. get it on a grey model so i can approve properly.

Archived