Carcharadons

That means he has white teeth... nothing to do with shape there. Ivory is just another term for dentine which is what our own teeth are made from.

I can see both sides of opinion here however I'm leaning more towards the sharktooth.

Can't think of many creatures that have rows of ivory teeth, except sharks, and as they possess the pale flesh, black eyes etc..and are named after Great Whites.. It's not hard to make the jump implied towards their dental structure.

Rites of Battle says that the Space Sharks, who may or may not be the Carcharodons anymore, file their teeth into sharks teeth...

I got this from a bodymod blog and thought it was interesting.

"Historically, many cultures have practiced this form of body modification. In Bali, teeth were filed down because it was thought that the teeth represented anger, jealousy, and other similar negative emotions. The teeth were also sharpened as a rite of passage for adolescents. Teeth filing was also used by Aborigines for spiritual reasons, as did assorted Vietnamese and Sudanese tribes. In Mayan culture, the teeth were sharpened, and sometimes had designs carved into them, to distinguish those in the upper-classes. Many cultures would sharpen their teeth to imitate animals, such as the Wapare of intertropical Africa, who sharpened their teeth to imitate sharks"

So, It would make sense that something as simple as taking a file to ones teeth could perhaps be a symbol of passage or final initiation into the chapter.

As for the ambiguity of 'rows' perhaps they have further implants added, or the geneseed promotes more teeth to grow behind the gum tissue.

the Carcharodons are mutants so the bareheaded guy just seems out of place. They have rows of teeth like a shark, so anyone just talking to them would freak out.

So they would all conceal their faces because they don't want people to freak on account of them looking scary?

Doesn't sound very Astartes to me... The Salamanders look even stranger and they don't hide their faces.

Sure, the envoy of inquisitors and Fire Angels who met up with Tyberos inside the Nicor sort of 'freaked out' when they saw the pretty face of The Red Wake, but I highly doubt this bothered the great Carcharodon.

And as for the "rows of teeth" thing... Sculpting several rows of teeth, pointy or not in a mouth that's about 2mm across isn't easy.

And I'm actually quite handy with putty.

Painted up it would also look weird on such a small model.

Bare heads add character to any Space Marine force in my opinion and also some much needed colour to the grey mass that my army is going to be.

And also, Will Hayes from Forgeworld includes bare heads in his Carcharodon force, so that's good enough reason for me :yes:

Imperial Armour says that Tyberos is never seen outside his Terminator Armour, it never says anything about his brethren.

And despite that, I have spent a lot of time making a bare head for my Tyberos which I have magnetized along with his helmet.

Following the description from the book I gave him a very scarred face with an exposed skull and also without lips, revealing his in this case human teeth.

As he is probably one of the most senior Carcharodons he might very well have several rows of teeth as any genetic mutations should have gone 'full circle', but since my Tyberos mouth is closed in a creepy grin, it doesn't show.

While I appreciate constructive criticism, please don't turn my project thread into a dental debate :(

As always, thanks for all the compliments!

I return!

Been very busy with my Carcharodons since I received my new toys from Forgeworld.

(Still no decals yet...)

First up is a Tactical Marine in MK3 Iron Armour.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r238/Machinepriest/Hobby/IronArmour01800.jpg

I wasn't sure if I liked this mark at first but now, seeing it all painted up I kinda like him.

Even though the resin was in bad shape which needed a lot of work, love and Miliput.

Getting Boltguns to fit on these guys are also a bit of a bitch.

I really wanted to arm him with a Phobos pattern Bolter but it just wouldn't fit so I gave him a Umbra Bolter instead which looks ok, even though it is a little small.

I also gave the first Corvus Armoured Marine I painted a Umbra Bolter with a Chainblade replacing the plastic Bolter with butter knife he had before.

Ancient wargear is a theme here as you might have noticed.

I kept the metallics to a minimum on this guy.

I initially planned to paint the rims of the shoulder pads in gold, but I decided it would make him stand out too much in the squad so I went for grey with silver studs.

Here's a silly teaser of something I've been working on.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r238/Machinepriest/Hobby/Teaser.jpg

I'm sure you can guess who it is :D

Thanks for looking!

Wow! These look good, I really wanted to do Fire Hawks for my Badab army but this log along is making me reconsider. I persume the mystery man is Mr Red wake converted from Mr Korvydae, if so it looks to be shaping up quite nicely. I can't believe I haven't found this log before, seriously plogs like this one are golden gems for inspiration, great work sir! If you don't mind me asking how did you paint the white on the helmets, I looked through your painting guide on Page 1 but I couldn't find it. Cheers, Prince.

Edit: Ah it's Zhufor's oh well. :D

Thanks people! :)

It is indeed Mr. Red Wake, but the head is neither Zhufor's nor Korvydae's.

It's actually a plastic head from the Space Marine Command Squad with some extensive modification.

http://www.bitzbox.co.uk/images/space_marine_command_squad_sergeant_head_large.jpg

As soon as I read the description in Imperial Armour I knew I had to make a bare head for him.

"Never seen outside of his archaic suit of Terminator armour, his face when revealed was a corpse-white nightmare with half the bones of the face exposed in a bloodless grimace, while his eyes were a soulless, depthless black."

Here's a clearer photo.

Note the hollow, broken helmet which I probably will paint in the green and yellow of the Mantis Warriors ;)

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r238/Machinepriest/Hobby/Tyberosunpainted.jpg

Can't wait to paint those exposed gums :)

Prince of Blissful Discord: Thanks a lot! Really appreciate it :)

I think you should go with Fire Hawks. They have an awesome colour scheme! And I haven't seen any of them here on B&C either.

The white is a base of GW's Astronomicon Grey highlighted with increasing amounts of white.

Thanks people! ^_^

Prince of Blissful Discord: Thanks a lot! Really appreciate it :P

I think you should go with Fire Hawks. They have an awesome colour scheme! And I haven't seen any of them here on B&C either.

The white is a base of GW's Astronomicon Grey highlighted with increasing amounts of white.

Thanks for the reply it's much appreciated. The fact that I have never seen a Fire Hawk army on B&C, or anywhere for that matter, which was one of my main draws to them as I like doing things that people haven't done before. Mk III is also my favourite armour type, and the FH fluff describes them as having vast stocks of the armour type. Perhaps I will do a Fire Hawk force with a small Carchardon attachment alongside. (With the Carcharodons in Mk5 since they have wide stocks of that armour type, yeh I'm abit of a fluff nut ;) )

In other news, the bare head for The Red Maw looks great, he really has that menacing visage about him and really fits the fluff about the Carchardons being visually terrifing. The head which it is based off is unreconisable as well, a true testament to your skill to be honest as Marshal and I both thought they were heads from FW kits. (which are by far the best well proportioned heads, along with GW flaggelent heads in the entire Warhammer/40k range)

Prince

now im going to have to throw a spanner in the works im afraid.. whilst the work on mr red wake is indeed very good.. the size of the space between his nose and his top row of teeth is huge..

excuse the bad ms paint work but it should be a bit closer size wise to this..

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd199/typhion/redwake.jpg

Crap

Crap

Crap

Lorenzen, you are totally right.

Not sure how I missed that as I've spent so many hours staring at that damn head.

Thanks for pointing it out.

I also kinda hate you, because now I have to cut up his pretty little face again :D

Ignorance was bliss!

URGH!

DONT'T CUT IT UP!! you don't need to fix it if it isn't broke ... but if you are going to start over, sell me that head and start sculpting on a new head :P. I like the head just the way it is and I think you should keep it the way it is. You won't really notice that anyway unless you get a magnifying glass out and look at the head after it is painted.

When can we expect to see a full photo of the wake in painted glory?

I admit before i saw this thread i thought the space sharks/charcaradons were stupid. needless to say i have reconsidered, tyberos looks like an immense badass also i love your paintjobs, they really communicate that sharky feel.

Archived