Stobz'z Legends.... Hello Darkness, my old friend...

Go to solution Solved by Interrogator Stobz,

Thanks a lot Stobz :woot: One more thing, I assume that the plasma vents and barrels are just blue wash correct?

Because they are so small they get white, blue wash, white, yup... Glad to help.

EDIT: Dude, sorry, I had my work brain on and just wrote some stuff down fast, what I do for the vents and barrels is:

White,

Blue Ink (you could easily do wash) then with a clean damp brush suck the exess ink out of the holes to show the white in the centres,

White HL on the edges.

:lol:

stobz

Edited by Stobz

As promised, here are some pics of the THawk motors.

I'm really not liking the way the green turned out when I first did this thing, I brought some cheap spray paint and now regret using it. Lumps etc. On top of all the casting errors I nearly gave up on 'Ferdinand' but bear with me an I'll try to do it justice.

Some pics:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7224/6921057728_85004fd03e_c.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7076/7067138105_702649c5e3_c.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5239/6921060702_70e566c158_c.jpg

I'm getting back on the 3rd Coy Log next, so next up, Assault Squad 8

stobz

Edit: mind made up.

Edited by Interrogator Stobz

Well, from the pics, it looks beyond awesome! I realize that you might be less than happy with the paint quality but stick to it! The work you put to it eventually shows! Love what you've done with the engines - very nice burnt metal effect and the white-hot exhausts look the part!

Now you mention casting errors... Are they many and difficult to correct? This is what actually has put me off to buy one!

Can't wait to see the 8th squad - assault marines FTW! :teehee:

Looks good so far. As to not being happy with the green spray paint, you could always hit any really bumpy areas with some very, very fine sandpaper to knock down the bumps, and then brush on some Dark Angels Green to fix it. I had to do this once on a model, and the fine sandpaper method works rather quickly, and rather well. If you do it, be careful to sand just enough. It won' take much, as raised paint bumps are not very difficult to sand away.

Thanks guys,

Here's a bit of a gripe, it in some way explains why I got disinterested in my $900 pile of resin when I first brought it.

When it first arrived the casting errors were so bad I had to ask FW for several new bits, one being the large bottom half of the fusilage. Unfortunately that replacement piece was even worse so I spent ages greenstuffing holes, rebuilding edges and adding rivets :angry:. Not to mention how warped it and the other fusilage bits were, It's really hard to find a flat bottomed tub big enough to hold all the pieces together to reshape them in uncomfortably HOT water for AGES(because they are so thick).

One of the interior ceiling pieces is about 5% smaller than it should be, so it can't be used, the pipes don't meet up with the wall ones and it doesn't fit, luckily it will not be seen unless you plan a removable roof.

The rear hatch door suffered the same problem, replacement.. same. I'm going to put up with the large gaps in the model as it only affects the interior.

The main interior/cockpit piece was warped to buggery, I've trimmed and bent him back into shape, the rear seats for that bit were missing mounting bits. FW replaced those.

The canopy had major bubbles and errors around where the perspex will fit, the replacement was even worse so I fixed the original to an acceptable standard.

I even got sent two right wings one of which was a transporter wing instead of a gunship one, that is corrected by FW now obviously. Insaying that the wings don't really fit very well and I used a tonne of GS and some screws to hold them on, there are still gaps along the bottom (where no one can see). Look at the pic that shows the front and you can see the front edge has a big uneven line on it.

I'm dreading putting the Heavy bolters together, they look ok when held together but have rounded edges etc and are nowhere near as crisp as the plastic ones, I hope they fit properly when all glued together.

Not really up to FW's usual excellent standard (esp. for such an iconic model), the Khorne Lord in my avatar was damned near perfect and a total pleasure to build and paint in comparison (FW even replaced a bit broken by my kids for free- AWESOME).

RANT OVER :P

I will put aside my thoughts of being lazy and I'll sand etc so this beast can be worthy of carrying the Chapters finest, I've just got to find/make time to do it properly.

My earlier comment about the spray was not clear, The black 'undercoat' spray was cheap and created the problem, it was difficult to notice when I brushed on the DA green but became really noticeable once I'd painted all the gazillion rivets and then drybrushed with boltgun. TOO much work gone in to want to strip and restart.

I'll need some advice later in the project with regard mounting it, I have some ideas but others might see things clearer or better.

For now it's back into repainting Assault Squad 8 of the 3rd Company... :wub:

Toodlepip

stobz

Edited by Stobz

Well Stobz, for all your issues with it, I think it actually looks fantastic, and you did a wonderful job on the engines! As far as the paint, I'm not sure that I'd consider it a bad thing unless it's just really, really awful, TBH, something like a Thunderhawk probably gets a lot of paint issues when hitting atmo from its launch vessel, if you can figure out a way, use the bumpiness as some kind of cool atmo entry damage! ^_^ I was going to make the same suggestion Shabbadoo did, I have a 320 grit sanding sponge for paint work like that, but if you think it isn't recoverable, use it to your advantage!

Lookin' forward to seeing 8th squad!

Bro, stop fishing for complements. It looks ace. Way better in real life than on the monitor. :D

I'm dreading putting the Heavy bolters together, they look ok when held together but have rounded edges etc and are nowhere near as crisp as the plastic ones

Could you use plastic ones instead?

Could you use plastic ones instead?

Thats what I was going to say too!

Stobz - Looks great so far. Sorry to read all the problems you had with the mouldings, it must have been heart breaking :D

Edited by Elmo9141

I feel your pain, Stobz, and I have been there-done that. As to problems with Forgeworld bits being slightly too small due to mold shrinkage, like the ceiling bit, there is a fix for that. Basically, you get strips of plasticard and build up the missing areas to have the right amount bulk to them. If a single strip doesn't add enough thickness to the piece, glue on more of them until the desired thickness is achieved. Then trim as needed, add piping/other details, etc. It doesn't really add too much extra work, and on a piece like this you want things to look decent.

Thanks for the support men, I didn't post my gripe for sympathy though so keep pestering and harrassing me to get the job done. I'm thinking I was just expecting a much better standard after saving my spare money for damn near 8 months and had a sulk ;)

I've gotten over my disappointment and am ready to fix all the errors (well at least to an ok standard) and to get this sucker finished.

BB: I might have to use that idea, we'll see how it looks once it's together:)

Ryld/Elmo: The Razor/LR Hvy Bolters could replace the wing guns, but the cowlings would be upside down. Pred sponson Hvy Bolters could replace the front ones but same problem (I think). Anyway they aren't really bad, just not crisp. I will be able to sand and unwarp them, it'll just take work.

Shabbz: All good advice thanks, I'm going to glue the sucker shut so only the front ramp opens (maybe I'll magnetize the canopy so I can look in there). I won't need to fix that ceiling bit but I will pull finger and do this project right.

Good things are not meant to come easily ;)

:(

stobz

I would hope better service from what ive heard about.The hearsay is that they replace almost everything without much trouble.

To see a model that is worth a grand is badly casted and they dont replace those parts...

Anyway,i hope you fix those problems one way or the other.The pics look awesome!

Brother I, thanks for your thoughts.

FW's service is still top notch and I am in no way complaining about that, they did replace all the parts I asked them to, the problem is the replacement parts were nearly all worse than the originals. I got sulky and stopped complaining to them once I received the replacements.

My thinking is that after 1100 or so THawks their master molds are getting a bit worn out. I could be wrong esp. as my second Lucius Drop Pod was better than my first, but who knows.

I am manning up and using some modelling skills now :P

:blush:

stobz

Edited by Stobz

Forgeworld's service is very good. It is just that any replacement parts will usually end up being cast from the same molds as the parts you got in the first place, so you won't be getting properly sized parts. :blush:

FW's service is still top notch and I am in no way complaining about that, they did replace all the parts I asked them to, the problem is the replacement parts were nearly all worse than the originals. I got sulky and stopped complaining to them once I received the replacements.

And therein lies the problem.

FW spend so much time on fantastic (often) design and beautiful (often) sculpting, then totally shoot themselves in the foot with extremely poor production - given the cost of these models. It frankly beggars belief that they've managed to get away with this for so long.

Can you imagine how much cheaper their products would be if they didn't factor in sending out replacements for 25-50% of the parts and just 'got it right' first time around?

That aside - your T Hawk is looking awesome sauce :D.

Cheers

I

Can you imagine how much cheaper their products would be if they didn't factor in sending out replacements for 25-50% of the parts and just 'got it right' first time around?

Call me an imbecile but i dont think even fn they place into account x5 the replacement parts,a thunderhawk costs that much they put the price tag on.

But thats another story for another time...

Edited by Brother Immolator

• 4 weeks later...

Well it's been 3 1/2 weeks since my last input here, I've finally gotten Vet Sgt Zariah and the 8th(Assault)Squad complete.

Please excuse any lack of focus, my home PC has died and I am borrowing a laptop with a weird screen. (I may fix it in future)

Here they are:

edit:New pic with touch-ups (hopefully better) 11/05/12

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8168/7173269490_ea454c8be2_o.jpg

97 down, TEN to go!!!

"...It's Log, it's Log, it's round, it's heavy, it's wood..."

Next up, Master Semper of the 10th, Master of the Recruits. (Just to break the monotony :))

:o

stobz

Edited by Interrogator Stobz

Exclellent Stobz! Will give a more accurate comment once at home later - can't see damn pics :)

Stay your appetite for a week or so though - Semper will call upon you soon... Will call upon all of you... Be prepared.

Fairy Muff, then I'll paint the T-Hawk Cockpit interior instead.

Idle hands do the devils work after all. (and I'm away in the bush all of next week so I need a little project to keep me busy until then)

:)

stobz

Edited by Stobz

I have been thinking about this log for a few days now, wondering, "Did the Thunderhawk fall on Stobz's painting hand and break it?"

The squad looks great, and you've really been powering through the units really well, but I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more Thunderhawk. Now, where have I heard something like that before... :)

Thanks Shabbs, The jump packs dudes just weren't fun to paint and took ages.

I'm thinking this 'painting comp' is going to be another distraction away from getting Ferdinand the flying bull finished.

But as I am a man of my word, I will knuckle down and beat it into submission this year.

Appreciate the support. (I can't open your link at work, I'll look tonight at home)EDIT: Moar Cowbell to fill the prescription, love it.

I just looked at the pic on my work monitor, Sgt Z looks a little confused and out of focus. I'll endeavor to replace the pic in the next few days. I think his skin has come out too dark and his eyes are lacking something too, touch up time <_< ---All good, who need spare time anyway.

:D

Stobz

Edited by Stobz

Just an 'assault' crossed arrows transfer and a numeral #8.

When I sort out the minor glitches and replace the pic I'll aim from a little higher up so they are visible.

They aid in ID when they are in CC.

<_<

stobz