Thanks a lot for the encouragement guys!

I'd been waiting to get back to Talos for some time so I really enjoyed getting him finally built.

@popkhorne: I completely agree about the weathering. I've bought some FW weathering powders (a rusty one and a black sooty one) to use on the IW, i just haven't gotten around to it yet.

• 3 months later...

I've taken up the challenge of the 1st Legion in the E Tenebrae Lux event (If you collect chaos and haven't entered the challenge yet, get on it!!). Naturally I'll be representing the might of the chaos legions. In this case the IV legion.

I've decided to build and paint a Contemptor Dreadnought for my first entry, armed with a close combat weapon, autocannon and heavy flamer.

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN2236.jpg?t=1339409142

I decided to go with a MkIII helmet for the contemptor head.

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN2239.jpg?t=1339409012

I was going to use the regular contemptor autocannon but then i saw the this bad boy sitting in my bits box... how could i resist.

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN2237.jpg?t=1339409094

I need some suggestions for how to make studs/bolts to add the GS trim. Any suggestions or links to tutorials would be appreciated. As alway C&C is always welcome :)

Thanks for looking :)

I need some suggestions for how to make studs/bolts to add the GS trim. Any suggestions or links to tutorials would be appreciated.

First off, I'm converting a Venny into a Chaos Dread right now, and I haven't put nearly as much effort into my GS work as you have. That Contemptor is going to be beautiful, man.

As for studs/rivets, I tend to go with square rivets using a craft knife and some 1mm plasticard. I've heard of people using split lentils as rivets, but they look way too big to me.

Maybe those little sugar balls you can get for cake toppings, cut in half or just buried halfway into GS would work...

Good luck!

Od.

**EDIT** Sugar pearls! http://www.thecakedecoratingcompany.co.uk/catalog/images/goldpearls-6545.jpg

Edited by Odsox

Thanks for the ideas Odsox :). I used to love eating those sugar pearls! I might give the square rivets a go tomorrow. I just had a look at some glass beads but they look to big. I think i might just end up using more GS or maybe give PVA a go.

Ps. I just had a look at your chaos dread. Its looking awesome! The claw fits the mini perfectly and the shattered Tzeentch symbol is a nice touch. You should think about entering it in the E Tenebrae Lux challenge.

Edited by kizzdougs

*sigh* You had to make me use up my first post, didn't you? :)

Try rivets from modelling train companies. They come in sprues of a few hundred at only about a few bucks and different shapes and sizes.

Haha. I feel honoured.

I've got a model train store close to where i live. I'll go and check it out tomorrow.

@Kierdale: Thanks mate. Yeah I thought it looked good for the IW theme.

I really like your cyrion conversion! But you forgot his lightning tears down his helm -I don't know if anyone mentioned it yet I only looked at the pictures :)

Thanks mate. Hopefully I'll get around to painting Talos some time soon... I only realised I'd missed the lighting 'tears' when I was reading 'Void Stalker' recently. I must have missed them being mentioned in the first two books :/ I considered going back and repainting them, but I think it will be to much of a hassle, especially on that helmet (the cheeks are very narrow).

@daemonclaw: Thats a good idea. If my trip to the train shop fails tomorrow I'll give it a go :P

If you're after rivets... this is going to seem a little ridiculous a suggestion, but it works well.

I don't know if housewives have the same hobbies in Oz as they do in the US, but here scrapbooking seems to be very popular... and Martha Stewart has her own line of accessories for this. In the line, there are these little glass beads called "Luster Glass Microbeads." The bottle of them comes in something resembling a salt shaker, and it must have about a million inside (91 grams, to be precise). But these work great! Simply drill a little pilot hole and then glue the beads in place... they're small enough that a PVA glue will work to hold them in place.

There are these little glass beads called "Luster Glass Microbeads." The bottle of them comes in something resembling a salt shaker, and it must have about a million inside (91 grams, to be precise). But these work great! Simply drill a little pilot hole and then glue the beads in place... they're small enough that a PVA glue will work to hold them in place.

This is a great method, I've got a bottle of them myself which I got on eBay. Use a pin to make a tiny 'pilot' hole, and then drill a hole using the pilot hole as your guide. The hole only has to be approx. half the depth of the bead. Then put a tiny amount of glue in the hole and use some tweezers to put the microbead in place.

Thanks for all the help people! I managed to find some tiny beads at my local model train shop.

This is how he looks so far... The legs have been glued but the shoulders, head and torso haven't. Obviously the plasma cannon and the base wont be part of the final mini. I'm planing something to match the E Tenebrae Lux theme for the base...

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN2243.jpg?t=1339578753

Thanks for looking ;)

I can't believe that i didnt spot this sooner. I wish I had, as i've been converting a a chaos contemptor myself and had the same problem with beads. I ended up getting several sizes of craft type micro beads, i think 1mm and 0.5mm, from a lady on ebay. It looks like you got sorted in the end and the result is looking sweet. Nice trim sculpt too, painful and tedious to do but well worth it.

The head fits really nicely too.

Looking forward to seeing the paintjob and base, keep up the high standard.

I just took some quick pics of the paint job so far. As you'll see its still very much a WIP.

I've based the mini on a piece of cardboard just for the painting stage.

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN2245.jpg?t=1339855388

And a shot of the back. I had to build a generator/power plant for my self because the kit i got from FW was missing the piece. I could have contacted their customer service but I wanted to get going as soon as possible... plus it can take a long time for FW to reach AUS.

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN2246.jpg?t=1339855150

I'm aiming to get some more work done tomorrow. Hopefully I'll finish of the gold and metal parts.

Thanks for looking :tu: