The Sekhmet+HH Emperor's Children: Imperial Fists Deathwing 12/4/24

Kizzdougs

Here are some pictures from yesterday's event (thanks Rhichard H. for the pics). 

My first game was against an Iron Hands force and we played the book two 'Legendary Mission: Blood of the Primarch'. It played out true to the established lore with the Phoenician besting the Gorgon in personal combat. Thanks to Sam for the fantastic game.

The mailed fist of the Iron Tenth prepare for the IIIrd Legion onslaught.

2mOFDdU.jpg

The Emperor's Children launch their assault with the coordination and precision for which the Legion was lauded.

RLR9e1i.jpg

5i6SfST.jpg

ONJfcQu.jpg

I9q2z5Y.jpg

s1DgAud.jpg

07eIWE3.jpg

The Illuminator bestrides the sands of Isstvan V (his Spartan was immobilised...).

dpLpXak.jpg

OEgXNGr.jpg

The erstwhile brothers clash as the Palatine Blades and IIIrd Legion tactical marines converge on the remnants of the Iron Hands' formation.

Gsyzvd8.jpg

Fulgrim was always a disappointment to me, unlike Horus he never did anything

The Sublime Swordsman special rule was fantastic against Ferrus and Valdor. Against Ferrus, Fulgrim had 9 attacks on the charge and against Valdor he had 8. They just couldn't deal with the weight of attacks. I definitely agree that Horus is a more powerful unit, but Fulgrim definitely has his place, especially considering that he is 120pts cheaper than Horus and only un-transfigured Lorgar is cheaper.

Some great photos of your IIIrd in action, cracking that you could recreate the events of Isstvan. Well done with the awards too, certainly well deserved.

Thanks a lot bro! It was actually a bit strange replaying one of the most poignant scenes of the Heresy. It was a great game and lots of fun, but at the same time it made me think about when I first read Fulgrim and in particular the final confrontation between the Phoenician and the Gorgon on the black sands of Isstvan V, a very tragic scene indeed.

What an awesome battle!
The prices are well deserved.

Thanks a lot bro! The battle was a lot of fun :)

Thanks for looking ;)

Well in heresy games Fulgrim chopped plenty of iron hands, his duels with manus ended in draws due to the turn limit.

Amazing gold in the tanks. Cool scenario I might do an Isstvan V minicampaign if time allows, replacing fulgrim (sold) with angron. Also your conversion of the phoenician is one of the few that are out there and undubitabily the best one.

Here are some pics from my game against a Talons of the Emperor list (Custodes and Silent Sisters). Thanks to Richard H for the pictures and to Elliot for the game. 

The game was played using the Legendary Mission: Apex Predator (from book seven) with Fulgrim and Constantine Valdor facing off in the middle of the table (12 inches apart) and the respective armies deployed along opposite short board edges. The primary mission objective was to slay the opponent's warlord and have your own warlord survive the battle.

My opponent won the roll to decide who would deploy and go first and decided to give me the first turn and rely on his re-rollable 4+ chance to seize the initiative. Unfortunately for the Emperor's finest my opponent failed to seize the initiative and Fulgrim took full advantage of the situation taking Valdor's head in two rounds of combat. The sire of the IIIrd Legion went on to slay Jenetia Krole and ended up surviving the battle largely unscathed to secure victory. 

The Palatine Blades and Legion Champion descend on the battle field to assist their isolated Primarch.WdvcTI0.jpg

Fulgrim and the Palatine Blades clash with the Sisters of Silence Vigilators and their Knight-Commander Jenetia Krole as the Custodes Jetbikes move to intercept the IIIrd Legion Spartan that had just arrived via Outflank as part of the 'killing cut' of the Maru Skara.

6QL8WMt.jpg

A Talon of Legion Contemptor Dreadnoughts from the 'killing cut' of the Maru Skara Outflank the Custodes grav-tanks and the elite Hetaeron Guard as the Lightning Strike Fighter prepares to unleash its deadly payload of Kraken Penetrator Missiles.

pf4snVS.jpg

A squad of IIIrd Legion Tactical Marines deploy from their wrecked Rhino transport and prepare to engage a unit of Sisters of Silence as the Emperor's Children Sicaran Venator moves to engage the Custodes grav-tanks.

vKVXOoI.jpg

Fulgrim and the Legion Champion face down the Custodes Jetbikes as the Emperor's Children Terminators deploy from their Spartan to engage the Hetaeron Guard. The Contemptor Dreadnoughts rush past the wrecked hulls of the grav-tanks as the Legion Tactical Marines remain locked in combat with the fearless Sisters of Silence. 

TIz8YAq.jpg

The Legion Terminators unleash a barrage of combi-plasma and melta fire before clashing with the Hetaeron Guard. Thanks to the shear weight of power axe attacks and some fantastic Feel No Pain rolls courtesy of the Primus Medicae the Terminators over-power the Custodes in combat and cut them down as they attempt to fall back.b1qOZ7S.jpg

Fulgrim and the Legion Champion fail a 3 inch charge...

9TYqj1J.jpg

Well in heresy games Fulgrim chopped plenty of iron hands, his duels with manus ended in draws due to the turn limit.

Amazing gold in the tanks. Cool scenario I might do an Isstvan V minicampaign if time allows, replacing fulgrim (sold) with angron. Also your conversion of the phoenician is one of the few that are out there and undubitabily the best one.

Thanks a lot bro, much appreciated! Yeah, the campaign missions in the black books make for a nice change from the regular Age of Darkness missions. They play pretty differently and can lead to some fantastically cinematic moments.

Thanks for looking :wink:

Edited by Kizzdougs

I've started working on a bit of a distraction piece... I should be working on more cultists or building the Dreadclaws that I need to finish my Alpha Legion army, but after my games with the Emperor's Children on the weekend I just had to paint something for the IIIrd Legion.

kutulHn.jpg

FhFdrth.jpg

Still plenty of work to do and I haven't even started working on the power-pack yet.

A bit of a lopsided game valdor stood no chance.
Glad to see that custodes aren't that overpowered, i won 6/6 games to my father (playing thousand sons) but he is too old to care.

Yeah, my opponent gambled on seizing the initiative, but it didn't pay off. He was hoping to run Valdor away from Fulgrim and then waste the Primarch with his whole army's firepower. Luckily for me he failed to seize and Fulgrim made Valdor pay. 

The Custodes are still the most powerfully army in the Heresy (and seriously undercoated in my opinion), but my opponent brought a list that wasn't completely maxed out with all of the most powerful choices (Telemon Dreads, 'un-killable' HQs etc). He brought three units of Sisters and although he had a powerful unit of Hetaeron Guard they were on foot. 

Both armies are well-painted and assembled. My compliments to yours and your opponent's skills (or good taste, if your opponent hired someone else to assemble and paint the models).

Thanks a lot bro! Both the Custodes and Iron Hands were painted by their players (the Custodes player was still painting some of his minis the night before the event).

Wait, so you won an award for that biker praetor in spite of that terrible topknot? :wink:

Seriously, though -- it was high time your work was recognised like that, as yours are probably the best 30k models out there. Congratulations! Still well earned, though :wink:

Yeah, I'm not sure how that one got through. Obviously they didn't look at the mini too closely... ;)

Thanks a lot, much appreciated :tu:

Thanks for looking ;)

Some more progress of the Emperor's Child.

lnch8EH.jpg

MyqgrOP.jpg

URGo4pS.jpg

AWGMG64.jpg

xx0Wwea.jpg

gNPUusp.jpg

Hopefully I'll get him finished this weekend :tu:

Your latest EC is a welcomed distraction!

I have an old metal champ with that pipe organs with demonic faces back pack sitting around. I would love to copy your recent EC and use that back pack on it. Looking forward to you finishing that fella off.

Thanks bro! Yeah, that power-pack from the old Emperor's Children champion would look fantastic painted up :)

That's an amazing scheme, Kizz!

Thanks a lot, bro! :)

Hmm my guess is that vs knight ot dread spam custodes would die easily, the don't have much antiair either

Yeah, those are generally tough match ups for the Custodes, but the Telemon and Achillus dreadnoughts would be pretty decent against Knights and other dreadnoughts. Solarite Power Gauntlets are also pretty good against Knights and Dreadnoughts with S10 AP1 and Master-Crafted.

Thanks for looking ;)

The Traitor Emperor's Children legionnaire is finished! 

Up until now I'd only built and painted Loyalist and pre-Heresy Emperor's Children, so this was a bit different for me. I'm pretty happy with how he turned out, but I would like to try to use some more garish colours if I try painting another Traitor EC.

J4if1Px.jpg

UsBeHpA.jpg

5UW4Oo8.jpg

JIHbbKv.jpg

rzxs7On.jpg

3FvnpTR.jpg

s69toIn.jpg

LZlnWv4.jpg

Looking brilliant already.

Thanks a lot bro! Glad you like it :)

Thanks for looking ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Over the last couple of days I've had the pleasure of attending the Cult of Paint course down here in Melbourne. I'm always looking to improve my painting and learn new skills, so the last couple of days have been fantastic! Last year I attended an airbrushing course to learn how to use the airbrush, this year I'm in the brush skills class to learn some of the more advanced techniques.

Day one was focussed on blending, glazing and directional lighting. We used Primaris marines as the test minis because of their larger size. After a year with the airbrush it was great to take one some more technical challenges with the traditional bristle brush.

This was the finished result on the legs.

G9Qj9fm.jpg

And this was the process.

2ivwBG3.jpg

CdvmkKE.jpg

XXH6rUj.jpg

pghILCI.jpg

Gp8zJqF.jpg

3mY2Sxz.jpg

ikTB5Ho.jpg

tUMpaNz.jpg

Today we worked on NMM. This was the first time that I've really attempted the techniques as I've always been pretty intimidated by it in the past. Over all I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, although the colour could do with a bit more saturation and I need to learn how light reacts with different shapes and textures. 

L9R3vI8.jpg

No! Why! You were a beacon of hope...

In all seriousness, your work is an amazing example of how crisp painting and nuanced weathering blend seamlessly.

Hahaha, the loyal IIIrd will always be my favourites, but I'm also happy to experiment. Glad you like the mix of weathering and painting.

Solid work; I do think it would have been nice if the vials on his pack had been painted as if they were transparent and holding some wildly coloured stimulant cocktails, perhaps an opportunity to introduce some garish colours, as you mention.

Yeah, that would have looked pretty cool, but I wasn't confident that I could make it work with the more 'realistic' look of the rest of the model (copper coils on the pistol instead of a crazy colour). I was worried that it might look a bit too cartoony. If I was to paint the model as a display piece I'd probably give it a go though. 

He looks fantastic! I’d love to see you take on more Traitor EC!

Thanks a lot bro! If GW ever give us some new Emperor's Children models I'll be all over them. I'd love to do a Traitor force, but at the moment it looks like too much work.

WOW, the EC looks so impressive!! Really enjoy looking at your minis - and with an envyous eye too ^^ Always looking forwards to more!

Thanks a lot! Really glad you like the EC.

The noise marine looks super sinister :ohmy.:

Though, I will admit to being more partial to your non-metallic EC scheme 

Thanks bro, that's the look I was going for.

Thanks for looking ;)

Yesterday was my last day on the Cult of Paint course. We worked on worn leather and NMM silver. I had a fantastic time of the course. It was awesome to learn some new skills and techniques and to try to develop some new hobby habits and approaches to painting. These days I never really put my full effort into painting a miniature, even a Primarch, so it was actually a lot of fun to work as hard as I could to learn the new skills and replicate them on the test minis. I'm feeling re-energised to paint some really nice looking models, but painting the rest of my army suddenly seems like a bit of a chore.

This was one of my attempts at the NMM. I even tried adding a bit of reflected colour to the bottom of the disc.

hcwTUr1.jpg

Thanks for looking ;)

I forgot to post some pics of my rebased Legion Veterans and Techmarine... woops.

P6prvVQ.jpg

X2YhzJ9.jpg

pyomOBB.jpg

nKpoNjB.jpg

I think the stealth squad looks much better with the new bases. They help to bring out some of the subtle greens and blues on their black armour.

zoPtCrC.jpg

sIF3gNr.jpg

The NMM looks stunnning, great to see you adding some more tools to the armoury.

Thanks a lot! Yeah, it was fantastic to push my skills and to learn some new techniques. Definitely really rewarding :tu:

Thanks for looking ;)