The Sekhmet+HH Emperor's Children: Imperial Fists Deathwing 12/4/24

Kizzdougs

The Raven Guard legionnaire is finished! He is pretty different to my usual painting style and look. I hope you like how he turned out.

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN4298_zpsqrdloj0x.jpg

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN4297_zpsgphimhln.jpg

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN4299_zpsj7whxgkr.jpg

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN4300_zpsv87b2h6z.jpg

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN4301_zpsn6dv7gkv.jpg

I'm also making good progress on the Word Bearer.

Oi! Where's part 2?? :wink:

EDIT: Oh crap, you ninja'd me. :biggrin.:

Haha, I was worried that someone would ninja me, but it looks like I got in just in time...

Wow, the Ultra looks great and I love the step by steps.

Only critique I have is that the leading leg on the Raven Guard looks like it is at a funny angle.

Might be a trick of the lens.

You are slowly but surely eroding my fear of weathering :smile.:

Thanks bro! Hopefully it's just the image that is making the legs look strange. The legs are the MkVI legs from the old Assault Marines box set (see the image below). I haven't altered them in any way. 

I'd definitely recommend having a go at some weathering, it's a lot of fun.

m1252489_99120101034_SMAssaultSqdmain_87

Not saying Raven Guard are the best, but they are! Really liking the black for this guy, it's dark but has nice hues in place of just pure black. Gonna pop any more white on there?

Haha, pretty sure you'll find that the III Legion were the greatest...

Glad to hear that you like him. The weathering powder and sponged on damage really helps to add some depth and character to an otherwise bland colour scheme. I decided to keep the white to a minimum, just the veteran stripe and the shoulder pad markings. I wanted to make him look like a special forces soldier. 

That Raven Guard...

http://toddstewartphotography.net/teaching/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Wonderland-CAT-Burton_Version-cheshire-cat.jpg

Thanks bro! Glad you like him.

Nice, thanks for that tutorial on the ultramarine!

The raven guard looks really nice so far.

No worries, dude! Hopefully you like how the Raven turned out.

That Raven Guard is perfect!!! It's the proper opposite of your stunning emperors children. The darkness of the RG is spot on and the stripe on the helmet breaks up the model nicely.

Thanks bro! Glad you like darker looking Raven. I really wanted to keep him pretty minimalist. He's all about business.

Thanks bro! I think I'll always be working on my Emperor's Children, they're my one true hobby love now that Warhammer Fantasy is dead. Next up for the III Legion I'll be working on my Veteran Breacher unit, and I've also got another Medusa and a unit of Phoenix Terminators to build and paint.

Coolio, while I love all the ones offs your EC are just amazing. I need to find a hobby love, lol.

Ravens looking great mate, will be interesting to see how you make the 3 black legions different.

Yeah, finding a 'hobby love' can be quite difficult, but I was really lucky with the Emperor's Children. As soon as I read their Index Astartes article in a White Dwarf several years ago, I new they were the Legion for me. 

As for the different 'black Legions' I went for a greyish-soft black with the Raven Guard. For the Iron Hand I'm planing to go for a dark metal look. He'll probably have black shoulder pads, but the rest of his armour will be metallic rather than a true black. For the Dark Angel I'll probably go for a more traditional black armour look, similar to how I painted my Black Templar hero.

My first sight of this thread somehow. I don't know how I've missed it for so long. I cannot wait to skim through all the posts. I am COMPLETELY inspired by everything I am seeing on here! Keep these legions coming! I'm drooling.

Welcome! Glad to hear that you're enjoying the thread. I'll endeavour to keep it moving along as best as I can :)

Fantastic as usual!

Thanks, dude!

Thanks for looking ;)

Oh nice black. Adding battle damage to black armour is always a challenge. Either the armour turns out grey because people want to add black lines for the scratches to suggest depth, or the paint sharp grey lines under barely visible scratches and it looks weird or they add very sharp metallic tones to those scratches and again, it's the same problem as before. You have achieved a really nice balance with the armour colour and the battle damage, definetly better than anything I have ever been able to make. 

Great work!

EDIT: Worth noting I hate painting black armour hehe.

Edited by GrandMagnus

Great work on the RG. Will be interesting to see the 3 black legions marines next to each other when done to see the difference in the blacks. I possibly appear to be a little obsessed with this but I think black is quite a versistle shade that can be achieved with a number of techniques.

A WIP pic of the Word Bearer.

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN4315_zpshcjlzb7n.jpg

Wonderful Raven Guard, KD. Just... yeah. Wonderful.

Thanks, dude! I'm pretty happy with him, glad you like him too.

I love that little Crow. Great job!

Thanks, bro!

Oh nice black. Adding battle damage to black armour is always a challenge. Either the armour turns out grey because people want to add black lines for the scratches to suggest depth, or the paint sharp grey lines under barely visible scratches and it looks weird or they add very sharp metallic tones to those scratches and again, it's the same problem as before. You have achieved a really nice balance with the armour colour and the battle damage, definetly better than anything I have ever been able to make. 

Great work!

EDIT: Worth noting I hate painting black armour hehe.

Thanks bro, means a lot! The weathering powders really helped with to give the armour some depth of colour without losing it's 'blackness'. I'd highly recommend giving some weathering powders a go if you ever paint black armour again.

Man you churn these guys out! Always with great quality too

Thanks, dude! It's easy to keep them going when I get such a great response online :)

Great work Kizz :smile.: Really like how the RG turned out

Thanks, bro! Yeah, he probably turned out a little better than I expected.

Great work on the RG. Will be interesting to see the 3 black legions marines next to each other when done to see the difference in the blacks. I possibly appear to be a little obsessed with this but I think black is quite a versistle shade that can be achieved with a number of techniques.

Yeah, I've left the Iron Hands and Dark Angels until last so I'll be painting two different 'black' Legions one after the other. I've got a couple of ideas on how to differentiate them. Hopefully everything goes to plan.

Thanks for looking ;)

I'm in tears over the beauty of that Word Bearer. Please console me and tell me you would never be able to do an army of them in that quality. Please?

Amen to that.....

It's beauty is terribly sir. Did you use a gw shade for the red? Also the eyes are my favorite part. I just read the unburdened and that's all I can think of now...

Thanks for looking :wink:

Woah, that red! :wub.: You've once again managed to feed my indecision and make things even more complicated than they already were... In all seriousness, the color is spot-on-perfect!

Yep the wonky leg on the RG was just the camera angle... It looks epi!

Also liking the WB very much. Nice to see someone NOT do a metallic scheme for them.

The deep red is lush

Thanks everyone! I've just built the base and once it's dried off overnight I'll hopefully be able to finish him tomorrow :)

:drool:

Hehe, glad you approve!

I'm in tears over the beauty of that Word Bearer. Please console me and tell me you would never be able to do an army of them in that quality. Please?

Hahaha, it would take me a very long time, and I doubt that I'd have the patience to see it through...

Amen to that.....

It's beauty is terribly sir. Did you use a gw shade for the red? Also the eyes are my favorite part. I just read the unburdened and that's all I can think of now...

Thanks bro! The armour is a mix of Khorne Red and Abaddon Black washed with Druchii Violet.

That red is stunning..

Thanks mate!

Thanks for looking :wink:

Woah, that red! :wub.: You've once again managed to feed my indecision and make things even more complicated than they already were... In all seriousness, the color is spot-on-perfect!

Hahaha, sorry for feeding your indecision... Glad you like the red.

Damn.

Just stop, okay? Just stop being so... good. Dammit.

Also, I'm probably stealing that red as soon as you post a tutorial. Just letting you know. :thumbsup:

I've only got a couple more to do. I might stop then... maybe... probably not...

Go for it bro! I've love to see you have a go at the red.

Yep the wonky leg on the RG was just the camera angle... It looks epi!

Also liking the WB very much. Nice to see someone NOT do a metallic scheme for them.

The deep red is lush

Glad you like the red! I've got some Clear Red, but it's such a pain to use without an airbrush, so it had to be a nonmetallic finish.

Thanks for looking ;)

The Word Bearer is finished! Hope you like him :)

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN4327_zpsvyibpm9i.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/600x450q90/673/IaT6xX.jpg

Haha j/k, he looks amazing!

That dingy red is aggressively lovely.

That might settle it, I'm doing WordBearers as soon as you publish your recipe if I manage something halfway decent out of it... :smile.:

As an aside, was that purity seal meant to remain black? The color seems somewhat flat, no?

I need to find a way to turn this pic into a wallpaper of some sort... :wub.: Edited by Player 404