The Sekhmet+HH Emperor's Children: Fulgrim Transfigured finished 16/5/24

Kizzdougs

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Much appreciated :smile.:

Did the Emperor's Children have a pre-Fulgrim scheme? I don't remember it being a thing, but I'm not up on the FW fluff.

Dragonlover

There isn't an official picture of the pre-Fulgrim Emperor's Children as far as I'm aware.

Book 1: Betrayal describes them as "Clad in thunderbolt and rayed-sun adorned power armour". The purple lacquer was first worn by warriors serving as standard bearers and bodyguards for hazardous diplomatic missions. A role that the Emperor's Children were particular suited to and excelled at. The purple was symbolic of their rank and position as official heralds and representatives of the Imperial Court and the Emperor. 

Betrayal also mentions that the IIIrd Legion used white enamel inlays on their armour as a sign of rank, heraldry, and veteran status. This tradition originated from Terra and predated Fulgrim, so perhaps their early colour scheme included a lot of white?

There is an Emperor's Children true-scale project on a Warseer thread that took the idea of white armour and ran with it. Unfortunately that thread has suffered from Photobucket shenanigans and so it's difficult to find clear pictures of the project. This is the best I could find with a quick look:

Very cool, but unofficial :thumbsup:

emperor-s-children-pad.png

There is also this shoulder plate art from Betrayal. It is from the start of the chapter on the Emperor's Children and some people believe that it is an representation of the Legion's colour scheme. Who knows...?

I love your EC but I think they need to look in the mirror darkly. You have a force of pure EC so why not leap onto the other side of the spectrum. With that in mind I will keep campaigning for the Kakophoni.:happy.:

Your idea for that army very much opens up one of my favorite scenes of the EC after they go full-Slaaneshi, where they meet with the Iron Warriors in Angel Exterminatus. They are no longer the disciplined and proud warriors of humanity. They are everything but as their rabble of headache inducing music, eye-watering clash of colors, twisted astartes and deformed pets make their way to greet the fourth legion.

I think it will be great to see you take marines and convert them with leather straps and rings holding up their trophies of gold-dipped skulls. Bolts hammered onto their armor to stretch out pelts of flesh bearing their deity's mark. Adding vox casters and sonic shriekers to their armor with tubing to warped amplifiers. And as for the terrata and the mutilated mortal of the Third Legion, the sky is the limit. Sure you will need more sonic weapons but with your converting skills I highly doubt your army will be boring.

*the only reason my noise marines are so monopose is because my conversion work is glacial at best.

I like your other ideas and they have great support. I just really like Kakophoni so please bear with me haha.

I have wanted to try my hand at some Terrata for a while, but I've always been hesitant to get started. I suppose I just don't trust myself to do the corrupted Emperor's Children justice. The conversion work is challenging enough, but trying to paint the clashing and disturbing colours would probably be beyond me. The whole point of the Slaanesh inspired colours schemes is that they are unnatural and warp-tainted. I don't think I've ever seen an Emperor's Children/Noise Marine army successfully painted in a style reminiscent of their description in the background. 

Maybe once I've learned how to airbrush a whole new world of painting will be opened up to me. It would definitely help me with some of the crazier colour schemes.

I have to give another vote for the kakophoni, always loved the concept of those!

Thanks for the vote bro! I'll have to do some more research to check out the Kakophoni armies that people have built/painted :smile.:

Another EC force, thats balsy!

The Kakophoni is awesome if you feel like converting things.

You are right about the their bodies tho, you'll have to invest time to make them feel different but its worth it I think.

The conversions!! lol

I also like the EC attached to the Warmaster's forces idea. Something like a proto Black Legion, those guys could be under Abaddon's command after the grand failure on Terra.

Paint parts of their armor Black?

This leaves space for possible SOH allies as a bonus. Really nice.

I love those 2 options the best! Looking forward to see what you decide! :wink:  

Yeah, I couldn't decide on another Legion in time to get all of my paints and materials together for the course, so I played it safe and stuck with what I know and love. 

The Kakophoni are definitely a converter's dream. I'd be much happier is GW produced some plastic Emperor's Children/Noise Marines that I could kit-bash with the FW resin pieces... I'm definitely more comfortable kit-bashing different pieces together than I am with green-stuff sculpting or scratch building. I know a few talented converters so maybe I'll have a word with them if I decide to go that way.

Yeah, I image that the Emperor's Children serving Horus would see them selves as the elite of the Warmaster's forces and might take on some of his personal heraldry etc. They'd probably steer clear of the SoH sea green, but I could definitely see them incorporating some black into their colour scheme. 

Some SoH lackeys to do their bidding wouldn't be unreasonable either...

Hey everyone, sorry about the lack of progress in this thread :tongue.: I've been pretty busy outside of the hobby and I've also been holding off until I learn how to use an airbrush at the MKA course. 

<snip>

Hey dude, sorry about the super late reply... I've only just checked back on this thread...

Thanks for the suggestions and the kind words! I'm sure I'll work on some World Eaters at some stage (I have a nice stash of bits put aside for them, but at the moment it looks like my next project will be more Emperor's Children.

Hey, no worries! For a tiny moment I did wonder if something dreadful had happened. Then I figured you probably just started a new thread and you were all having fun at a party without me.  Looks like I had better get a move on my with Alpha Legion before you make me fall in love with Emperor's Children.

All your ideas are great - after what you did with those Breachers I would love to see your take on some other units we don't usually associate with IIIrd Legion.  (Counts as) Destroyers? Artillery? Praevian with a maniple of robots? In fact, I think you'd better keep going until you have at least one of every infantry, bike, jetbike, dreadnought and smallish vehicle in the army list.  We'll lap it up.

Yeah, get moving with the Alpha Legion :wink:

That's the dream (but will probably never happen), having at least one of every unit entry...

The units that I include will really be based on the theme that I decide to go with for my new army. I might be able to include one or two units that are not commonly associated with the Emperor's Children, but I probably won't have a wide selection of the 'less common' choices. I get the "a Legion has 100k marines and access to everything" argument (not that you're making that argument) and that along with the Ultramarines the IIIrd Legion were the greatest 'allrounders', but I feel that sticking to units that better suit the general theme of the Legion is usually the way to go. Yes you could build a Death Guard Angel's Wrath list, or a Salamanders Sky Hunter Phalanx army, but they just wouldn't feel right...

So I might include some 'less common' choices, but I'll probably keep it pretty true the basic Legion aesthetic.

Love the metallics, man. Nice control on the washes as well. Love the very very clean graphics as well. Really dig your work. 

Thanks for the kind words! Glad you like what you see :smile.:

- Hey Kizzdougs, I've got a question about your Armillus Dynat conversion: did you use his arms or get them from somewhere else?

I want to put the MK IV two handed chainsword on him, but I'm worried the slope of his shoulders will mess with the chainsword arms, cause they're sculpted to fit a normal torso.

I'm pretty sure they were just the standard Dynat arms. I cut them off at the shoulder plate so that I could reposition them and the hands are from a different kit.

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN5941_zpsze4uxu0l.jpg

Hope that helps :)

Thanks for looking :wink:

Edited by Kizzdougs

I understand as I personally cannot bring myself to paint wild, clashing colors on my EC. Nor have I tried even doing the 80's theme paint job of a bunch of colors and shapes thrown together. I really do like the Purple and Gold too much. You could always just stick with that and add swirling freehand to the armor and some grisly trophies if you go with that army.

As for the Terrata I think anything goes. They are basically lab-made spawn and I know that they all weren't EC (if any). Just like spawn I would look at crazy stuff like John Carpenter's The Thing.

The units that I include will really be based on the theme that I decide to go with for my new army. I might be able to include one or two units that are not commonly associated with the Emperor's Children, but I probably won't have a wide selection of the 'less common' choices. I get the "a Legion has 100k marines and access to everything" argument (not that you're making that argument) and that along with the Ultramarines the IIIrd Legion were the greatest 'allrounders', but I feel that sticking to units that better suit the general theme of the Legion is usually the way to go. Yes you could build a Death Guard Angel's Wrath list, or a Salamanders Sky Hunter Phalanx army, but they just wouldn't feel right...

So I might include some 'less common' choices, but I'll probably keep it pretty true the basic Legion aesthetic.

I hear ya: go with the Legion's character, but maybe add a little twist.  What I was trying to say is that the Breachers were so amazing you made it seem as if IIIrd legion *were* the Breacher legion; you made it feel core, not crowbarred in, and maybe you could do the same for one other less common unit?  And in this vein, I vote for anything NOT Kakophoni. I think your other ideas are all more original and give more scope for this kind of thing (and was never that excited by "musical instrument as weapon").

I understand as I personally cannot bring myself to paint wild, clashing colors on my EC. Nor have I tried even doing the 80's theme paint job of a bunch of colors and shapes thrown together. I really do like the Purple and Gold too much. You could always just stick with that and add swirling freehand to the armor and some grisly trophies if you go with that army.

As for the Terrata I think anything goes. They are basically lab-made spawn and I know that they all weren't EC (if any). Just like spawn I would look at crazy stuff like John Carpenter's The Thing.

Yeah, I'd definitely need to do something more than the standard Emperor's Children colour scheme to make a Traitor force convincing. Like I said, I'm hoping that once I've learned how to airbrush I might be to achieve some techniques and effects that i couldn't with a regular paint brush. Maybe something along the lines of the Flawless Hosts' colour scheme could work, using different shades of purple and pink rather than a wide selection of clashing colours. Turquoise could be a good contrast... hmmmm.

Yeah, Fabius really reminds me of Throt the Unclean, of Clan Moulder* from WHFB. I'd probably go with a more Frankenstein look rather than the Chaos spawn style (stitched on limbs and weapons, grafted on armour plates and muscles etc., but still obviously from a human base subject). 

Who makes those (paper? cardboard?) walls? I'd love to get some to use for Zone Mortalis.

...I've been playing a little bit of Zone Mortalis...

I think that they're from 'Tagged Event'. https://taggedevents.com.au/product/klevestav-station-cutfoldglue-wall-kit/

I hear ya: go with the Legion's character, but maybe add a little twist.  What I was trying to say is that the Breachers were so amazing you made it seem as if IIIrd legion *were* the Breacher legion; you made it feel core, not crowbarred in, and maybe you could do the same for one other less common unit?  And in this vein, I vote for anything NOT Kakophoni. I think your other ideas are all more original and give more scope for this kind of thing (and was never that excited by "musical instrument as weapon").

Don't worry, if/when I include any units that aren't usually associated with the Emperor's Children I'll be putting in the effort to make them fit the Legion's aesthetic in the same way that I did with the Breachers. I don't want any minis in my army that could easily be from any other Legion if you simply changed their colour scheme. That's one of the main challenges that I see with the Traitor Emperor's Children. Apart from the Kakophoni (and Eidolon) there aren't any Traitor Emperor's Children minis, so it either takes a lot of work to convert an entire army, or your warriors look like they can't decide which side they're on...

Thanks for looking ;)

metallic marines are a thing I've usually not been much of a fan of (exception being gold or silver ones), however I have to say, everything you've done is very nice to look at. Nice work! Also good to see some zone mortalis action going on too, one of my preferred ways to play horus heresy games honestly.

metallic marines are a thing I've usually not been much of a fan of (exception being gold or silver ones), however I have to say, everything you've done is very nice to look at. Nice work! Also good to see some zone mortalis action going on too, one of my preferred ways to play horus heresy games honestly.

A few people have said that actually (not usually liking metallic marines). 

Yeah, ZM is a lot of fun, we've been playing through the different missions in Book 1 an 3. Personally, I've always been more interested in the infantry side of the game, and naval/space warfare is where the Astartes excel, so ZM just seems perfect for 30k :)

Regardless of which route you take I will be happy to see some more of your handiwork!

I am always look for inspiration and ideas to steal...borrow.:wink:

Thanks bro! Steal away :tu:

• 2 weeks later...

Back to the Emperor's Children at long last!

Previously I've always painted my minis using traditional paint brushes or a combination of brushes and spray-cans for the larger models such as vehicles, but on Monday I finally took my first steps into the world of airbrushing... And what a magical world of possibilities it is!

This is the Rhino that I painted at the MKA beginners course. There are a host of things that I could do better, and I'm sure that I'll improve with practice, but I'm pretty happy with how it's looking. Let me know what you think :tu:

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN6044_zpsgospem5t.jpg

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN6045_zpsvu1obbwe.jpg

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN6046_zpsltdlyems.jpg

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN6047_zpslc4puxg0.jpg

Like I said, there are some definite areas for improvement, but the course was more about learning a bunch of different techniques that I can practice and refine across an army. I'm looking forward refining my skills to take my painting to the next level :)

Are you actually carving into the plastic for the battle damage? Looks great

Thanks, bro! Yeah, I add the battle damage before I paint the minis. For the cuts and slashes I use a hobby knife, and for the bolter impacts I use a drill to make a shallow indentation, and then roughen up the edges a bit using a knife :)

Thanks for looking ;)

Funny, I was wondering earlier where you've been. Great addition, still love that purple.

Thanks bro! I've been pretty busy lately and I'd also been putting off starting anything new until after I'd learned how to use the airbrush. I'm back now :)

The rhino looks great, the chipping/ weathering looks awesome

Thanks a lot! It's the first tank that I've used weathering techniques on. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

Good to see you back Kizz, and working on your EC again. One of my favourite armies on here.

Thanks a lot bro! I still haven't decided what I'm going to be doing for my next army, but at the moment it's looking like it will have something to do with the Emperor's Children.

Stunning work, kizz. Looking forward to seeing more gorgeous stuff. :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot! Glad you like it, bro :)

Thanks for looking ;)

Here is the Legionary that I painted up on the MKA infantry painting course today. I might do a bit more work on the bolter, but he is pretty much done except for the base.   

If anyone has any ideas for the base, please let me know. At this stage I'm thinking dusty/desert...

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/IMG_0123_zps4i51wb2p.jpg

As you can see it's a big step up from my previous work :tongue.:

I really enjoyed my time learning from the MKA guys. If anyone gets the chance to work with them or attend any kind of painting/hobby event that they run, I'd definitely recommend attending. 

No matter your painting level you'll be able to learn a lot. I went into the course having never used an airbrush before, and left with the confidence and knowledge to make airbrushing a major part of my painting going forward (I've never enjoyed painting vehicles, but an airbrush can actually make it a fun experience and the results speak for them selves). Conversely, I went into the course pretty confident in my brush and weathering skills, but I still managed to learn a lot from Matt and Henry (who are both awesome dudes).

That rhino knocks it out of the park! The paint job and the weathering details are fantastic. How long did that take you to paint up with an airbrush? Whole lot quicker than with a regular brush?

Thanks a lot bro! It's difficult to tell how long it will take me to paint a Rhino from the course because we were stopping and starting each time one of the teachers demonstrated a new technique or step in the process. Once I get everything set up at home it will probably be a bit quicker to paint a tank with the airbrush, but for me it's not really about how long it take. You could do a relatively quick table-top standard with the airbrush if you wanted to, but I'm much more interested in the added levels colour depth and range, and the smooth transitions that can be achieved with an airbrush and that adds time to the process.

So, it's a bit of a dodgy answer, but it will take as long as you let it...

Oh wow that rhino is a real beauty!

Thanks a lot, bro! Glad you like it :smile.:

Thanks for looking :wink:

Edited by Kizzdougs

Very nice models! Good weathering.

I vote for dust base, looks good!

These colors on the marine look like the old school Alpha Legion scheme lol, if it wasn't for the gold!

Maybe give turquoise eye lenses a spin? It should clash well with the darker armor. It's a test model after all.

Still looks good as it is, just some ideas. :thumbsup:

Very nice! Can't see the pics here but I can see them on FB and you knocked it out of the park. Excellent choice to move from a cool blue-purple to a brighter red-purple/magenta on the infantry model. It looks gorgeous.

I'd say the "baby poop" dusting they teach you might be perfect. I think you did it on the Rhino already, too? The yellow-ish/beige tone works really well with purple. That with some urban or industrial rubble? If they're Traitor Emperor's Children the Slaanesh way, they'll be sweeping urban environments like that for slave "materials." If they're alongside the Sons of Horus, same, they'd likely be closely deployed alongside their Cthonian brethren in short, violent, spear-head assaults at high-value targets. 

Well, whichever way you go it's always an inspiration to follow :)