Some more work on the Lightning.

It doesn't really show up in the pics, but the 'strips' on the wings are Xereus Purple. The same colour as the armour of my Emperor's Children.

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN4081_zpsleqkijwp.jpg

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN4082_zpsmjiuzywx.jpg

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN4083_zps1p69htdy.jpg

I'm going to try with raptors as the base. Quite dynamic and the helmets for me work as sonic shriekers. They'll fit well with my kakophoni and maybe be as colourful, unsure as of yet. I'm struggling for shields though. I'm thinking of either chaos warrior shields/ shields from dead zone peacekeepers. I'm also wanting to add a "human" aspect to the shields. To represent the fall of the III it seemed that "human shields" seemed apt. Possible mix of zombie parts and green stuff. What do you reckon?...

Sounds good, bro! Human shields would be awesome, but probably hard to pull off. Maybe use Chaos shields for the regular marines and give the Sergeant a human shield :)

OOh! I like the World Eaters that won 'best painted'. Do you know where to find more pictures of them?

Yeah, they're super nice. They'll be getting a blog soon, but until then you can check them out here. The Red Butchers in the mid Heresy red and white colour scheme are particularly awesome :)

Thanks for looking ;)

]

I'm going to try with raptors as the base. Quite dynamic and the helmets for me work as sonic shriekers. They'll fit well with my kakophoni and maybe be as colourful, unsure as of yet. I'm struggling for shields though. I'm thinking of either chaos warrior shields/ shields from dead zone peacekeepers. I'm also wanting to add a "human" aspect to the shields. To represent the fall of the III it seemed that "human shields" seemed apt. Possible mix of zombie parts and green stuff. What do you reckon?...

Sounds good, bro! Human shields would be awesome, but probably hard to pull off. Maybe use Chaos shields for the regular marines and give the Sergeant a human shield :)

Thanks for looking ;)

Thanks for your thoughts. I've ordered some 3rd party shields to see how they look also after some zombie bits to decorate the shields. I'll try a mock up and see how it goes.

Your lightning is looking very, very nice :) Looking forward to seeing your breachers.

I've done some more work on the Lightning. It's now at the pre decal, pre weathering stage. I'd love some weathering suggestions. Obviously the engine and exhausts will be getting some soot, but which other areas should be weathered, and what kind of products/techniques would you suggest? I'll probably keep the weathering fairly light (for fear of stuffing it up...), but it definitely needs some. What do you think?

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN4087_zpsovzybijn.jpg

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN4085_zpszg617zob.jpg

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN4086_zpsjplcwcea.jpg

I've also miss placed the canopy and the flying stand... I'm pretty sure I put the canopy somewhere safe before painting, but I have absolutely no idea where. I'm not even sure that I received a flying stand with the kit when it arrived from FW...

Hopefully I can overcome these two 'minor' set backs and get it finished...

Oooh that's looking great. I like the purple touch and even think it could use a liiiiitle more to make the link with your ECs a little clearer. :thumbsup:

Thanks, bro! I'm planing to use some of the EC decals (the 'III' and the laurel leaves) on the wings and tail. So hopefully It'll be pretty clear that the Lightning belongs to forces indentured/attached to the III Legion.

<3 the under camo on the flier. Well played.

Thanks, bro glad you like it. Before getting into the GW products I started off painting historical tanks and aircraft. The under camo was inspired those early hobby projects.

The lightening is coming along really nice, jealous as I've wanted one for quite a while. The purple lines are a nice touch. Also glad you went with the grey camo on the bottom, these are after all the vehicles of mortals seconded to the Legions.

Thanks a lot bro! I'd definitely recommend the Lightning as a kit. It's much easier to assemble and paint than many other FW vehicle kits. Plus, who doesn't like an aeroplane?!

Dude now it fits in I was wondering how you'd go about it and you didn't disappoint as usual

Yeah, I had to have a good think about how I could get it to fit with the army, but at the same make an effort to differentiate it from the regular Legion units. Glad you like it :smile.:

The lightning is looking good and I must say it is awesome to see all those army shots. I love seeing all those legions out in force.

Yeah, it's always great to see some excellent armies in the flesh. There are so many beautiful armies and projects on the forums, but nothing compares to seeing something in person.

That Lightning is looking crisp! You're a far, far braver man than me for taking on that amount of white, but it's paying off :smile.:

Hahaha, thanks bro! It's amazing what you can achieve with a can of white spray paint :tongue.:

I love the purple on the hull!

Might want to see how mini-stripes of the same color would work on the tail fins. They look just a little naked compared to everything else.

Yeah, the tail is pretty plain at the moment, but hopefully it'll look alright once I've added the decals. I had actually considered adding a band of gold (like on the wing tips) to the tip of each of the stabilisers but decided against it in the end.

]

Sounds good, bro! Human shields would be awesome, but probably hard to pull off. Maybe use Chaos shields for the regular marines and give the Sergeant a human shield :smile.:

Thanks for looking :wink:

Thanks for your thoughts. I've ordered some 3rd party shields to see how they look also after some zombie bits to decorate the shields. I'll try a mock up and see how it goes.

Your lightning is looking very, very nice :smile.: Looking forward to seeing your breachers.

Thanks, bro! I'm looking forward to seeing how your Breachers go :thumbsup:

Thanks for looking :wink:

Looking good, Kizz. For weathering, might I suggest some light chipping along the forward edges of the wings? If I recall correctly, on real planes those areas come into contact with dust and other particles while in flight and chip the paint, though I'm not quite sure where I heard it, either.

Ah, so the pilot launched the ejector seat while the Lightning was still on the ground eh? :D

Hope you  find the pilot, or atleast the canopy.

Looks fantastic, but could benefit from a little chipping on the leading wing edges of some staining from the vents. I am a fine one to talk considering I am too scared to try eeathering.

Your heat weathering on the engine looks great though

All that's left to do now is weather the underside and get myself a base/flyer stand.

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN4090_zpsgswlcipr.jpg

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN4091_zpssudidtfd.jpg

Hope you like how it's looking so far.

Ah!

Yeah a couple decals will perk it right up :happy.:

Yep. Hopefully it meets expectations, although you can't see the decals on the tail in the pictures :P I'll have to post some better pics once it's properly finished.

Yeah I think I'm going to buy myself one next week. Either that or one of the FW Dragons....

Are you planning any other human elements to support your EC?

Sounds awesome, bro!! I've been considering adding some Auxilla or Millitia. After all, the Emperor's Children are raised from birth to be great leaders and are well know for successfully commanding forces of 'lesser' troops.

Looking good, Kizz. For weathering, might I suggest some light chipping along the forward edges of the wings? If I recall correctly, on real planes those areas come into contact with dust and other particles while in flight and chip the paint, though I'm not quite sure where I heard it, either.

That's the look I went for. Although I did weather most of the plane, the heaviest weathering is on the leading edges of the wings.

Ah, so the pilot launched the ejector seat while the Lightning was still on the ground eh? :biggrin.:

Hope you  find the pilot, or atleast the canopy.

Looks fantastic, but could benefit from a little chipping on the leading wing edges of some staining from the vents. I am a fine one to talk considering I am too scared to try eeathering.

Your heat weathering on the engine looks great though

Hahaha, something like that :P Luckily I found the canopy amongst the mess of my work table... Hope you like how the weathering turned out.

Thanks for looking ;)