The Sekhmet+HH Emperor's Children: Imperial Fists Deathwing 12/4/24

Kizzdougs

Not to diminish the work you're doing in the slightest; you're doing a magnificent job on this project. Really, hats off to you.

Buuutt... at one point while looking at the progress photos, where he has nothing in his hands, I could help but have a brief flash of silliness pass through my mind.

"Where the :censored: did you learn how to fight?"

"By watching West Side Story 300 times! Annndd... Step! 2, 3, Pivot! 2, 3, Lunge! 2, 3, Turn! 2, 3!" *Starts snapping his fingers in time with his movements*

As soon as he has anything in either hand the image is shattered, and I'm sorry if I have in any way diminished this great work, but I simply can't help but share the image. :)

Fulgrim is finished (as finished as a mini with this much detail can ever be). I the end I went with the red hot/glowing look for the sword. Hopefully it isn't too cartoony. I do like how sharply it contrasts with the rest of the mini.

Before I started working on him, I wasn't too excited about the Fulgrim mini, but through the process of painting him he has come to be one of my favourites. It can be really difficult to judge a mini until you actually hold it in your hand. 

Now I need to decide which Primarch to paint next...

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN4557_zpsavy0mbux.jpg

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN4556_zpsipn9gek1.jpg

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN4550_zpsw65xcrt8.jpg

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN4546_zpsdnuuy0gb.jpg

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN4551_zps2xnrvx94.jpg

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN4552_zps0wmomakd.jpg

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN4556_zpsahimyzp4.jpg

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN4557_zps6nj0e5fg.jpg

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN4559_zpsnhc0as0r.jpg

Hope you like him :)

Sekmet looks glorious

Thanks, bro! I had a lot of fun with the Sekhmet back in the day. I'm considering starting a fresh Thousand Sons project once they get their time in the sun from FW.

Looks really nice brother.

Thanks a lot, dude!

I kind of feel Fulgrim should have Worldbreaker after Apologist did such a grand job on Ferrus with Fireblade, but he's looking good.

I wish Fulgrim could take Forgebreaker (not Worldbreaker, that's Horus' mace), it's such a great weapon, both aesthetically and rules wise (what else would you expect of weapon crafted by the Phoenician). 

Not to diminish the work you're doing in the slightest; you're doing a magnificent job on this project. Really, hats off to you.

Buuutt... at one point while looking at the progress photos, where he has nothing in his hands, I could help but have a brief flash of silliness pass through my mind.

"Where the :censored: did you learn how to fight?"

"By watching West Side Story 300 times! Annndd... Step! 2, 3, Pivot! 2, 3, Lunge! 2, 3, Turn! 2, 3!" *Starts snapping his fingers in time with his movements*

As soon as he has anything in either hand the image is shattered, and I'm sorry if I have in any way diminished this great work, but I simply can't help but share the image. :smile.:

Hahahahaha, that gave me a good laugh! Yeah, he looked pretty silly without his sword or the vexilla. Hopefully he looks a bit more worthy of his Primarch status now :P

Thanks for looking ;)

Wow! Just wow! I absolutely love your Fulgrim (sounds like I'm getting a hobby crush...)

Great painting as usual and the sword has come out beautifully. Out of curiosity, what parts did you use in your standard?

Looks good buddy. I really like the look of the sword in that emperor pic you posted. I have to echo the fact that he was one of my least favourite Primarchs but you've really done the sculpt justice. Great work.

I was thinking his hair would look a little washed out next to his alabaster skin tone, but it looks excellent.

Glad to see Firebrand came out looking snazzy too.

Great job man!

... Dat guyliner doe :lol:

Your work is stunning, als usual! While Fulgrim isn't one of my favourite Primarch sculpts, your changes to the stock model are winning me over, especially that Vexilla! A small nitpick, however: Why does the cloth on the Vexilla's haft seem to behave differently than Fulgrim's cloak?

As for the sword, check out Apologist's recent Ferrus Manus conversion: The model is wielding Fireblade, and the paintjob on the blade really seems like just about the ideal solution to me.

Thanks a lot, bro! The cloth on the vexilla is behaving differently because I don't have the green stuff skills to completely change it :tongue.:

Hah, there you go: I really wanted to hear that, because it proves that you are human, after all. With the quality of your paintjobs, I had begun to wonder... ;)

But seriously, Fulgrim is looking absolutely brilliant! That vexilla alone is a work of art! And the one detaiil that I really love above all else is how the red of the cape seems to perfectly meatch the red appearing in the layout and design of Forgeworld's HH rulebooks! Marvelous work! :)

I was trying to decide what to paint after Fulgrim and realised that I still need to paint a Dark Angel and Iron Hand for my Legion collection. So here is the start of the Dark Angel.

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN4579_zps1i8zjlsg.jpg

He is a bit different to the FW colour scheme which has a lot of dark iron compared to the red gold that I've used. I'd just finished finished reading Angels of Caliban and remembered that the Lion's armour was detailed with red gold, so that's where the inspiration came from. Of course basing a regular legionnaire's armour on his Primarch's probably isn't the best idea, but I wanted to make sure that he stood out from the Raven Guard and Iron Hand. I realise that it won't be everyone's cup of tea, but hopefully it'll look good once I've adde the heraldry etc.

At the moment he looks suspiciously like a Black Legionnaire...

Also, here's a pic of my ETL vows for this year. Congrats to everybody that participate. It was great to see so many people getting involved and painting up there minis.

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN4560_zpsk2h5hene.jpg

That came together nicely, I am a fan of the effect on the blade but there is no OSL from it, which seems a little off. Either way I like what you did with the model.

Thanks, bro! I didn't want to stuff up the paint job by attempting some OSL, a technique I don't really have much experience with. Plus not having an airbrush makes it even harder to achieve a good OSL effect.

That's stunning work. Top-notch.

Thanks a lot, dude!

Now that definetly looks 10 times better than my own Fulgrim. Lovely work, the blade looks really great.

Thanks, bro! Really glad you like the sword.

Absolutely love your take on the Phoenecian! I've got one to paint (full-blown traitor-style though) and I think I'll be coming back here for inspiration! :-)

Thanks a lot, mate! Are you going to give Fulgrim his Daemonic snake body or rely on the paint job to show his allegiance? 

I would say they look incredible, but that would be pointless since by now iv come to expect nothing but incredible models from you.

Simply put, beautiful!

Hahaha, thanks a lot bro :smile.:

Looking incredible. I like what youve done with the fire blade!!

Thanks, bro! I'm glad the sword turned out okay. I was pretty unsure how it would look right up until it was finished.

Ace work, as per usual. Really liking the flames and the tones of the gold.

Thanks heaps, bro! Glad you like the flames and the gold.

Wow! Just wow! I absolutely love your Fulgrim (sounds like I'm getting a hobby crush...)

Great painting as usual and the sword has come out beautifully. Out of curiosity, what parts did you use in your standard?

Hahahaha, thanks bro! I think I've got a bit of a crush on the Fulgrim mini now...

The main part of the vexilla (the large laurel, III numeral, winged claw, and the halo on top) comes with the Fulgrim kit. It's supposed to go on the base. The centre piece (the skull, scroll, small laurels, and the disc with XXVIII painted on it) are just a regular Legion Vexilla from the Betrayal at Calth set. The banner pole and the upside down halo with the lighting bolts are both from the Stormcast Eternals Paladin boxed set. 

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN4537_zpsdz4cg42s.jpg

Looks good buddy. I really like the look of the sword in that emperor pic you posted. I have to echo the fact that he was one of my least favourite Primarchs but you've really done the sculpt justice. Great work.

Thanks, bro! I definitely have a greater appreciation for the mini after working on it personally. 

Well done!

Thanks mate!

I was thinking his hair would look a little washed out next to his alabaster skin tone, but it looks excellent.

Glad to see Firebrand came out looking snazzy too.

Great job man!

... Dat guyliner doe :laugh.:

Thanks! Yeah, I didn't want to go over board with the definition on the hair so I intentionally kept it very subtle. Glad you like Fireblade.

Eyes are so import, it just wouldn't be right if the Emperor's sexiest son wasn't looking his best.

Your work is stunning, als usual! While Fulgrim isn't one of my favourite Primarch sculpts, your changes to the stock model are winning me over, especially that Vexilla! A small nitpick, however: Why does the cloth on the Vexilla's haft seem to behave differently than Fulgrim's cloak?

As for the sword, check out Apologist's recent Ferrus Manus conversion: The model is wielding Fireblade, and the paintjob on the blade really seems like just about the ideal solution to me.

Thanks a lot, bro! The cloth on the vexilla is behaving differently because I don't have the green stuff skills to completely change it :tongue.:

Hah, there you go: I really wanted to hear that, because it proves that you are human, after all. With the quality of your paintjobs, I had begun to wonder... :wink:

But seriously, Fulgrim is looking absolutely brilliant! That vexilla alone is a work of art! And the one detaiil that I really love above all else is how the red of the cape seems to perfectly meatch the red appearing in the layout and design of Forgeworld's HH rulebooks! Marvelous work! :smile.:

Hahaha, I'm very aware of my limitations when it comes to painting and modelling, so I very rarely push the boundaries of what I'm confident with.

Glad you like the mini. I hadn't really made the connection with the red of his cloak and the FW books. We'll have to call it 'Alan Bligh Red' or something similar.

No offense to anyone else who has built and painted the Phoenician, but I think Kizz just took 1st place. Of all of them.

Hahaha, thanks, bro! Means a lot :smile.:

I dunno what to say other than stunning. Like the conversion a lot too. I agree with BCK, one of, if not the, best Fulgrims I've seen.

Thanks heaps dude! Really glad you like how it turned out.

Love the 28th reference too...

Great work as always, the sword looks amazing! I really shouldn't have been worried!!

Well spotted! I was wondering if anyone would comment on the XXVIII. I couldn't remember the expedition number so I went flicking through the book hoping that it would be something simple and easy to fit in the available space. I wasn't too happy when I realised I had to try to squeeze 'XXVIII' on that tiny area... 

Glad you like how the sword turned out.

That's an amazing Fulgrim, probably the best I've seen.

Glad the Fireblade worked out so great, never doubted you for a second :biggrin.:

Thanks a lot bro! I'm pretty happy with how the sword turned out so it's good to hear that you approve.

Thanks for looking :wink:

Edited by kizzdougs

I was going to go full snake body but I'm still holding out hope that there will be a Daemon Primarch Fulgrim mini some time soon and it'll probably be a great deal sexier than my hack job would so I think I might make some little additions to the mini and go for a pre-ascension fallen Fulgrim and hopefully let the paint job do a lot of the work. Having said that I keep looking at the GW Finecast Cockatrice and thinking it might provide some lovely snakiness for him... I'll have to make up my mind!

Anyway, on topic. Your ETL EC look awesome all grouped up. The Dark Angel looks promising too. Are you still to add weathering to the helm etc still? Hemlooks like he survived a close encounter with something with a/lots (of) sharp claw(s)/blade(s) and think that veteran character needs to be made to pop a lot more :)

Edited by Elazar The Glorified

I was going to go full snake body but I'm still holding out hope that there will be a Daemon Primarch Fulgrim mini some time soon and it'll probably be a great deal sexier than my hack job would so I think I might make some little additions to the mini and go for a pre-ascension fallen Fulgrim and hopefully let the paint job do a lot of the work. Having said that I keep looking at the GW Finecast Cockatrice and thinking it might provide some lovely snakiness for him... I'll have to make up my mind!

Anyway, on topic. Your ETL EC look awesome all grouped up. The Dark Angel looks promising too. Are you still to add weathering to the helm etc still? Hemlooks like he survived a close encounter with something with a/lots (of) sharp claw(s)/blade(s) and think that veteran character needs to be made to pop a lot more :smile.:

Thanks bro!

Yeah, fair enough. I'm sure Fulgrim will get an awesome mini of his reincarnation as the Angel Exterminatus. In fact I can't wait to see all of the Daemon Primarchs. 

The Dark Angel will be properly weathered (sponging and weathering powder) once I've finished off the other details such as highlighting the gold, painting the eye lens, the bolter, some heraldry, and decals etc. I leave the weathering until the rest of the painting is completely finished :)

Some more work on the Angel. I'm just waiting for the base to dry so that I can add the final stages of the weathering.

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN4589_zpsubgmthvg.jpg

You know...someone should do the depiction of fulgrim turning away from his portrait, where his soul got swapped for the demon...might be a bit epic

Yeah, that could be pretty awesome. No idea how you'd paint the portrait though. It'd definitely be beyond my ability.

Thanks for looking ;)