Don't think you've done anything yet I haven't liked.

So happens I have a piece I'll be doing soon with some electric bases OSL so I'll need to practice. Won't be able to post it on here though.

I just checked out the finished Shaman. The subtlety of colours is really impressive and the base really adds to the overall pice. I look forward to seeing whatever you're working on, whether it's on the B&C or not.

Ah, yes, the red certainly clashes less. Before, my eyes were drawn immediately to the skirt, but now I actually see the whole model first.

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Thanks a lot for the initial suggestion :)

I agree. Its a lot better. The red doesnt draw the eye but it still brakes up the gold and white.

Its a great model :smile.:

Thanks bro!

Totally, TOTALLY amazing work. You are a very talented person kizzdougs and you put your talent in good use. Followed to the end!

Now let's see more of your amazing EC (yes I'm biased)! :biggrin.:

Thanks mate! Hopefully I can make a start on my first EC terminator soon.

Talking of EC, I still hanging out to see some more of yours. Do you have any plans regarding them?

• 6 months later...

I don't know about you guys and gals, but I find it really difficult to work productively on my favourite faction/Chapter/Legion. I'm not entirely sure why this is. Maybe it's because I'm too 'emotionally' invested to properly convey my ideas through modelling and painting. Some times I doubt my own ability to do the subject justice. Another factor is that I tend to love every aspect of my favourite factions and can't decide on a particular aspect to focus my efforts on. These different factors usually result in the projects that I'm most proud of and emotionally invested in petering out. This doesn't mean that I don't get any hobby done, far from it. Over the last year I've focussed primarily on my Warriors of Chaos army, a faction that I like and am definitely interested in but that wouldn't be in my top five favourites. Thanks to this focus I've been able to assemble approximately 3,000pts of Warriors, painted and converted to a level that I'm very happy with. 

The main victims of this 'side' project has been the Emperor's Children, probably my favourite faction. As I've stated before the III Legion has been my favourite since I read their Index Astartes article in a White Dwarf more than a decade ago. Now that My Warriors of Chaos project has slowed down (even though an army is never truly finished, I've painted pretty much every unit that I want to) it is time to make another attempt to build the Emperor's Children army that I've always wanted. I'm not sure how I'm going to go about this project, I just need to get things rolling. If I could make an army list to work towards things would be much more straight forward, but that seems pretty unlikely... (I've always struggled to write 30k/40k lists compared to Fantasy lists). I've also considered starting a new project thread that focusses solely on the III Legion, free of all of the clutter and distractions that usually plague my threads. I need to stop thinking and worrying too much and just get things done!

Anyway, enough of that! I've made a start on a new Veteran Tactical Squad and have started rebasing my existing legionaries.

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN3333_zpszxkhdfq1.jpg

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN3334_zpslgb2on3v.jpg

I'd love to hear what you all think of my hobby struggles. Any suggestions regarding a theme/direction/army composition are more than welcome. I'd also love to hear what you think of the idea for a new project thread.

Thanks for looking ;)

I wouldn't worry about your painting and converting, your models are some of the best on this site imo. I'm glad to see you back with the III legion.

Of course I understand where you are coming from, it can be difficult to bring your favourite faction to life because of the image you have of them in your head. I've tried so many times with the Alpha Legion, but I just cant get them to match my inner vision.

Never force things which you're not enjoying. You'll never finish things and won't be happy with the results. Paint what you enjoy if you want the best results.

Also, you're 30k EC look amazing. And any tips for moulding details?

That apothecary is unfairly pretty. I love how seamlessly gorgeous your purples are. Good business there!

I have to agree with Forte. Don't force whatever you go with. If you aren't enjoying it, what else are we doing here? :D

Thanks everybody! I'm hoping to do some more work on the Veterans today. 

Whatever you do - your painting will do it justice, hands down! Basing looks great - is that going to run throughout all your army?

Thanks a lot mate :) I'm planning to have the base theme running through the whole army. I've ordered a couple of sets of 32mm bases to redo the EC that I've already based.

I wouldn't worry about your painting and converting, your models are some of the best on this site imo. I'm glad to see you back with the III legion.

Of course I understand where you are coming from, it can be difficult to bring your favourite faction to life because of the image you have of them in your head. I've tried so many times with the Alpha Legion, but I just cant get them to match my inner vision.

Thanks Hydra! I've really struggled with the challenge of translating my vision of the Emperor's Children from mere ideas to miniature form. Hopefully once I get a few more finished I'll be over that mental blockage. Fingers crossed :)

Never force things which you're not enjoying. You'll never finish things and won't be happy with the results. Paint what you enjoy if you want the best results.

Also, you're 30k EC look amazing. And any tips for moulding details?

It's not that I don't enjoy painting the EC, it's more that I don't know what I'm doing or trying to achieve. If I had a concrete goal in mind I'm sure my productivity would be hugely enhanced. In regards to the detail, are you talking about the press mould green stuff work?

Just had a read-through. 'Effing amazing. :wub.:

Thanks brother! :)

That apothecary is unfairly pretty. I love how seamlessly gorgeous your purples are. Good business there!

I have to agree with Forte. Don't force whatever you go with. If you aren't enjoying it, what else are we doing here? :biggrin.:

Haha, that's a pretty fair point. I'm sure that once I make some serious progress I'll be much happier with where I'm at. I suppose building an army is a bit like painting an individual miniature, it's frustrating and disappointing right up until it's almost finished :P

Hmmm I think finish a 1500 pt force fly to adelaide and my ultras will pit you in your place you beautifully talented painting god bastard

1,500pts? That sounds doable. Haha, everybody knows that the XIII wish they were as perfect as the III ;)

It's not that I don't enjoy painting the EC, it's more that I don't know what I'm doing or trying to achieve. If I had a concrete goal in mind I'm sure my productivity would be hugely enhanced. In regards to the detail, are you talking about the press mould green stuff work?

That makes sense. Even more difficult when you're unsure what you're aiming for. Something will click. And yes, I was on about press moulding (which you do so well).

That makes sense. Even more difficult when you're unsure what you're aiming for. Something will click. And yes, I was on about press moulding (which you do so well).

Thanks mate. For the press moulding I use Oyumaru and green stuff. If you haven't used it before I'd highly recommend getting some from Ebay and having a play with it. Here is a video I watched when I first got the Oyumaru, I found it pretty helpful.

Thanks mate. For the press moulding I use Oyumaru and green stuff. If you haven't used it before I'd highly recommend getting some from Ebay and having a play with it. Here is a

I watched when I first got the Oyumaru, I found it pretty helpful.

As luck would have it, that's exactly the stuff I've bought :tu:

Thanks mate. For the press moulding I use Oyumaru and green stuff. If you haven't used it before I'd highly recommend getting some from Ebay and having a play with it. Here is a

I watched when I first got the Oyumaru, I found it pretty helpful.

As luck would have it, that's exactly the stuff I've bought :thumbsup:

Haha, great! Looking forward to seeing what you do with it :)

I've finished building my first and second veterans for the new squad. I can't believe how long it takes to build one legionnaire when you're trying to make him really look the part. I'm planning to have most of the veterans with Palatine Aquilas on their chests. Hopefully the extra attention to detail in this squad will encourage me to get them painted in a timely fashion. 

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN3339_zpshii1q2uy.jpg

The squad will be mostly comprised of MkIV, although I will mix in some MkII and MkIII.

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN3341_zpsdkdi7uyu.jpg

Now I just need to decide how to arm the Sergeant (suggestions would be greatly appreciated here!) and whether I want another power weapon in the squad, Grey Hunter style.

Thanks for looking ;)

I've just built two more of the veterans. I'm still trying to figure out how to arm the sergeant. Any ideas?

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN3348_zpsficxtfhh.jpg

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN3347_zpsalezpyg0.jpg

Thanks for looking ;)

Very nice work on the Veterans, as usual. They really look the part and I'm looking forward to seeing them painted up in that lovely colour scheme of yours. Great stuff! :)

Also, the press molding seems to be working out well for you. Any particular tips or tricks that you'd care to share?