I would suggest the same.

The legion psykers were mixed through, so those projecting kine shields would work alongside pyrae etc.

It would stand to reason that weapons scarring would be minimal, but general strolling around the battlefield type weathering would be evident.

Looking good for a traitorous son of Magnus the Cyclops :thumbsup:

Edited by dantay_xv

The Thousand Son has been highlighted! Next up I'll be having a go at weathering him up a bit...

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN3833_zpsch0z2j1m.jpg

Hey kizz, just wanted to say that while I really really liked the venator from the initial shots, after seeing it (and the rhinos) next to the spartan I think it could benefit from some white added to it. In the sense of an A going to an A+ of course :smile.:

Yeah, I can see what you're saying. I wanted to differentiate between the Spartan (the Praetor's transport/command vehicle) and the of tanks, but they do look a bit plain. If I had the patience/time I'd probably go back and add some more detail to the Rhinos and Venator.

I think some minor weathering on the Thousand Son would look good. From the fiction of that time they waded through battles destroying people with their powers, so not battle damage really bust more dust and grime.

Good work as ever.

Thanks, bro! I want him to be fighting in the middle of the VI Legion's assault on Tizca, so not your average Great Crusade compliance action. I definitely won't be weathering him as much as the World Eater or Iron Warrior though.

I've just base coated and washed the Thousand Son. I'm trying to decide if i should weather him or not.

Keep him clean. Thousand Sons surely have prestidigitation :wink:

Hahaha, that gave me a good laugh. Sounds like something the III Legion might be interested in.

It's a tough call on the 1kson. Maybe try some lighter weathering than you've done on the IW and WE? 

Looking great so far though. I'm digging the height enhancement, clean job there :smile.:

Thanks, bro! I'm pretty happy with how the height enhancement went. It's much more subtle than other methods that I've tried before.

I would suggest the same.

The legion psykers were mixed through, so those projecting kine shields would work alongside pyrae etc.

It would stand to reason that weapons scarring would be minimal, but general strolling around the battlefield type weathering would be evident.

Looking good for a traitorous son of Magnus the Cyclops :thumbsup:

Haha, thanks mate! I'm probably just going to do some weathering around the boots and jump pack at this stage.

Thanks for looking :wink:

Edited by kizzdougs

I've just base coated and washed the Thousand Son. I'm trying to decide if i should weather him or not.

Keep him clean. Thousand Sons surely have prestidigitation :wink:

Hahaha, that gave me a good laugh. Sounds like something the III Legion might be interested in.

XV will have it but III will use it obsessively ;)

Almost finished with the Thousand Son.

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN3835_zpssdpjqpr7.jpg

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN3834_zpsieykr9sp.jpg

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN3836_zps5wanxmgr.jpg

What're you planning for the Thousand Sons base? He looks superb now that he got highlights and I also agree some form of weathering but nothing extreme.

He is going to be part of a diorama, so he won't be getting a regular base. It is going to be an urban/ruin style base.

Thanks for looking ;)

Still too tall and skinny, but the paint job is excellent :thumbsup: You've done yourself proud once again, mate!

To each their own I guess. Glad you like the paint job :)

I'm not a big fan of the Thousand Sons, but as far as quality goes it's as beautiful as your other minis. The red is really nice, I wouldn't mind knowing how you did it.

Thanks, bro! The red is; Khorne Red, wash with Reikland Fleshshade, layer with Khorne Red, and highlight with Evil Sunz Scarlet.

The 1kson does look a bit skinny, but the paint job is fantastic, I love the weathering. Can I ask, how tall is the new Custode compared to a standard marine model. I was thinking of using on those kits as a base for a True Scale Blood Angel.

The Custode is pretty huge...

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN3837_zpsdnrbidm4.jpg

You're probably one of the only posters that can convince me on Legions I would usually pass over.

I don't think he looks overly slim at all. He's killer. The decoration is on point. What's next?

Thanks, dude! Great to hear that I can help you to appreciate more of the Legions. Personally I love them all, although not necessarily equally. 

Next up I'll be building a base for the Custode and Thousand Son (they're going to be part of a diorama), and finishing off the Rapier crew. I'm going away on holiday for a few days so there won't be any progress for about a week starting on thursday.

Thanks everyone :)

• 2 weeks later...

And the Quad Mortars are finally finished!

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN3840_zpssz3i9boq.jpg

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN3841_zpsitkwbhxs.jpg

I've also just started working on the next mini...

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN3842_zpsexmbuttu.jpg

I'm going to get a copy of Betrayal at Calth tomorrow. I've got no idea what I'm going to do with the minis yet, or even which Legion they'll be from...

Thanks for looking ;)

I'm going to get a copy of Betrayal at Calth tomorrow. I've got no idea what I'm going to do with the minis yet, or even which Legion they'll be from...

XII legion, of course. There, that was easy ;)

Seriously, though: It probably won't shock you when I actively lobby for the World Eaters here, but your WE test piece was so cool that I would just love to see more! Plus it would probably make for an interesting contrast after working on the prim and proper III Legion ;)

Your latest models are, once again, stunning. The Custodian blew me away, and while I felt the Thousand Son seemed a bit lanky in WIP form, the paintjob really sells the model! This thread never fails to amaze!

I've finished assembling my new artificer armoured, Primus Medicae. Once he is done I'm hoping to build and paint a Palatine Blade squad to accompany him, as well as a new artificer armoured Praetor. 

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN3843_zpsbb69cuix.jpg

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN3844_zps7yv5tc4l.jpg

XII legion, of course. There, that was easy :wink:

Seriously, though: It probably won't shock you when I actively lobby for the World Eaters here, but your WE test piece was so cool that I would just love to see more! Plus it would probably make for an interesting contrast after working on the prim and proper III Legion :wink:

Your latest models are, once again, stunning. The Custodian blew me away, and while I felt the Thousand Son seemed a bit lanky in WIP form, the paintjob really sells the model! This thread never fails to amaze!

Thanks for the kind words, bro!

Yeah, the XII is definitely pretty high on the list of possible Legions. I've been considering how to convert the plastic Cataphractii into Red Butchers and using a combination of the plastic Maximus armour and the AoS Bloodreavers to make some Rampagers. I'd like to think of a list before I start working though. If I do go with the XII Legion, they'll definitely be weathered, although maybe not as much as the test mini. 

Thanks for looking ;)

As always thank you for the tips and the amazing modelling and painting :)

I've got calth to get some basic tac squads in my force. I just can't decide whether to have them all with the EC forge world heads or a mix of those and the standard mk iv. Also do all your power armoured models have the palatine aquila on the chest or again mixed?

All the best,

Nick

As always thank you for the tips and the amazing modelling and painting :smile.:

I've got calth to get some basic tac squads in my force. I just can't decide whether to have them all with the EC forge world heads or a mix of those and the standard mk iv. Also do all your power armoured models have the palatine aquila on the chest or again mixed?

All the best,

Nick

No worries, bro! The FW heads are Phoenician pattern helmets and they are awarded for particular acts of valour, so I'd definitely limit their use in regular tactical squads. Personally I'd only use 2-4 in a Veteran squad and maybe 0-2 in a regular tactical squad. For the torsos I've used a mix, but the majority (maybe 75%) have the Palatine Aquila. I've press moulded all of the Aquilas in my army which is a good way to save some money as opposed to buying a ridiculous number of EC torso packs. If you're using the plastic MkIV it might be difficult to remove all of the detail from the front of the torsos though.

Thanks for your thoughts. Do you reckon press moulded aquilas would sit over the detailing or do you let them cure before applying?

Good point also on the Phoenician helms. If I'm running them from eidolon's personal forces do you reckon I could get away with a higher ratio?... I do really like the helmets :smile.:

I always remove the detail (the tubing on the MkIV torsos) before adding the aquilas and I always let the greenstuff cure before I glue it on.

I agree that the helmets look awesome, they're some of my favourite FW upgrade pieces. If you want to equip all of your legionaries with them, go for! Maybe you could consider running them as Veteran Tacticals in a Pride of the Legion list (which would make a lot of sense if they are going to represent the Lord Commander's personal force).

I did some more work on the Primus Medicae today.

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN3845_zps6wgmajau.jpg

First off, awesome rapiers!

Second, I think MkIV lends itself so incredibly well for EC, but I can imagine you don't need more purple dudes. I'd like to see you do Death Guard, actually. :thumbsup:

Thanks, bro! I've always wanted to do some Death Guard, but I'd definitely want to use MkII armour... so no plastic for the XIV Legion (an all terminator Death Guard army would be interesting though...).

Edited by kizzdougs

I'm considering starting a new Legion. I'm fairly happy with where my Emperor's Children are at the moment (but I'll definitely keep adding to them over time) and the Betrayal at Calth kit is the perfect opportunity to make a fresh start. Of course the big question is which Legion to choose...

I love pretty much all of the Legions, but at this stage I'm leaning towards either the Sons of Horus (probably Reaver heavy), Night Lords (Terror Assault), World Eaters, Thousand Sons, Space Wolves, or Alpha Legion. I'd like to use either Pride of the Legion or a Legion specific rite of war, and have an assault capable army.

So, what do you guys think? Which Legion would you like to see me paint?

I'll be using this BaC legionnaire as my test mini (with some added Legion specific details when I decide which Legion to go with).

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/legion_zpsd3j14rbv.jpg

Edited by kizzdougs