Clever Girl... - Wink Wink, Nudge Nudge

Greyall

Sanguinius used those eyes on his armour as well, but Horus and his Legion were the ones that made it a style accessory.

Look more closely. On Sanguinius are blood drops, not Eyes of Terra/Horus. Note how the bottom of each black bit doesn't end as a point like the top of each black bit or all the Eyes of Terra in the room.

The confusion is generated due to how similar a black blood drop on a red background (a common symbol in the Blood Angels), and the Eye of Terra/Horus' iris also on a red background in similar shaped framing are. If you see other pieces from the Horus Heresy artbook series, you can see a better view of the ones on Sanguinius, which are indeed blood drops.

I think further confusion is even fueled by Black Library authors making the same mistake in the Horus Heresy series.

http://th05.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2011/328/2/b/vulkan___primarch_of_the_salamanders_by_greyall-d4h6g5c.jpg

A wild Primarch appears!

This one's for Brother Dakath. Thanks again for the great idea, mate.

You know this guy's backstory, so I'll focus on the drawing.

First things first, no way was I going to fit Vulkan inside a lowly Power Armour, even one custom-made for a Primarch. He's supposed to be one of the strongest among his brothers. So I got him a Terminator armour, albeit without the usual "cabin" above his head.

I tried to make him pretty menacing and primal. Vulkan's often portrayed as being on the tamer side of the Primarch spectrum, but he was raised in a world of fire and constant natural catastrophes, fought off Dark Eldar and giant lizards, while living with a good but certainly hardened people. So he might be a nice guy, but he won't exactly think twice before dealing with any enemy in old Imperial fashion.

The flamethrower-gauntlet got changed, since the one Vulkan He'stan carriers is...pretty meh. So I turned it into a saurian mandible.

The other weapon, the hammer...well, Vulkan is a man marked by his fathers. So the idea was for him to have crafted an hammer in dark iron resembling his Nocturnean father's (a blacksmith) tool and to sculpt a father in each side. You can see his "first" father on the side of the hammer, toiling in his forge. I opted to show him instead of the Emperor to reinforce Vulkan's (and, later, his Legion/Chapter) connection to his people. I came up with a name for the hammer, but it involves some meddling with the fluff, as my idea was to name it P'ai - or "father" in Nocturnean (that''s the meddling part, Nocturnean not a new language in 40K, can't really invent new words by myself). It's pronounced "pie" - not the best choice there - but I liked it because in Portuguese, father is "pai", and the phonetic goes along, I think, with the usual Salamander naming conventions.

In all honesty, I think he's one of my best pieces. State your mind, guys, and thanks in advance for watching and commenting.

could you draw me one please :P i've always had a cheesy theme for a raptor chaos lord dubed 'the lord of all raptors' kinda like the witch king from lord of the rings, Malal based diety (so a son of malice) one white wing one black wing or a kinda f22 styled assault pack, a spikey helmet with a HUGE flail and a round spikey sheild with the symbol of malice on it, with raptor styled feet of course ;)

a tall order but id be amazed too see what you come up with :D

This is great! Excellent detail and motion and a regal pose! Congrats!

How about a series with the Primarchs?

What I meant was: do the Lion ;)

The Lion can wait I mean he did wait during the Heresy so he can wait now..... ;)

But Ferrus he Demands so Attention!!!!

by the way Greyall you just keep outdoing yourself.

Hello, I'm highjacking my husband's account. :) I really have enjoyed looking at each of your pieces. I agree that this is probably one your best pieces yet. I have some questions pertaining to your pieces, I am new to Warhammer and am still learning about it from my husband, so please bear with me. I have noticed that all of your work deals with a LOT of detail. I am a detail nut, when I'm not drawing in an anime style. All of your pieces have a ton more than what I would normally put into my work, do you have any suggestions for me that would help me draw characters with as much detail? I also noticed you draw only one character per image you've done. Have you thought about putting more than one in there? When you draw your characters, I notice you try to keep them moderately anatomically correct, how much space do you suggest between the joints of the body for the armor for the characters? Or does that depend on each character? What kind of materials do you use for reference and drawing on? I normally use a 4-H pencil for the rough sketch then go back over it with varying sizes of pens for the inking, then I go back over the work with an eraser to get rid of the pencil marks. I generally color with colored pencil and watercolor. Reply when you get the chance, and have a great Thanksgiving. ;)

First of all, a big "Thank you" to everyone, it's great to know you guys and gals take the time to check my lines.

Shamblin-man! Stick around, mate, you'll like it here. And thank you

@Semper: I did draw the Lion a good few years ago =)

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/225/9/9/Lion_El__Jonson_by_Greyall.jpg

@Aqatone: This here masterpiece is the best 40K drawing I've ever seen. I like Mr. (or Lord) Dainton's view of disproportionate armour combined with thinner arms. It reinforces the bulk while making the pose more fluid.

@Mrs Zaku: I have a few pieces with more than one character in them, I won't post them here as they are a bit big, but they're in my Deviant page here. As for detail, for me it's a matter of looking at a lot of 40K art and keeping the best bits in my mind. Draw a few with some of your favourite pieces of Warhammer 40K art at your side, copy and draw inspiration. You'll notice that it gets pretty easy, after then. Then it's a matter of improving. Proportions vary a little, I try to make Terminators noticeably larger, so broader armour pieces and a smaller (in comparison) head. Overall, though, it really depends on what style of proportions you prefer, drawing bulky Marines is very different from those with more "body sized" armour. The latter are easier, I think, because bulkier ones demand that you throw proportions out the window, pretty much.

I draw with a trustworthy 0.35 mechanical pencil, they usually don't last long, but this one's turning out to be a miracle.

A final advice for the details: start thinking about them and at the very least shaping them on the drawing right from the start. Failure to do so will force you to erase more an better lines.

Hope it helped and best of luck, thank you very much.

A Primarch series...sounds good...I'll try and mix them with the Terminators. And it will be Sanguinius, I've had requests to draw him since I first posted on B&C.

A Primarch series...sounds good...I'll try and mix them with the Terminators. And it will be Sanguinius, I've had requests to draw him since I first posted on B&C.

Best news of the day! :)

Holy crap! That is absolutely amazing! I love it! He's just......wow. LOL. Awesome work yet again Greyall!! Now I gotta see if I cane get my work (a print shop) to take the pic and blow it up so I can stick it on my wall....or make a cut out of it (with your permission of course Greyall). :tu: I love it!

:tu: I never thought my request would be answered immediately!

Looks great and this is the sort of pose I had in my head. Authorative and composed! Maybe I envisaged longer hair... In any case I got my fix -thx!

BUT you are not off the hook yet!

If you are to do a Primarch series, I expect a recent Johnson! Even if it is the last one you do! ;)

That's the thing with fans... They are never content -always want more!

El' Johnson is AWESOME dude. I prefer him to Vulkan actually.

I know Marines, especially Terminators, are supposed to be bulky, but the size of the head makes the rest of the body look a little too big.

I have a similar problem with this guy:

http://www.blacklibrary.com/all-products/B...he-Omnibus.html

Obviously your detail work and design philosophy is absolutely amazing and almost without fault,

It's just the first thing I thought when I saw Vulkan was "Do a barrel roll!":tu:

Keep up the awesome work man

PS: The rest of your stuff on deviantArt is kick-ass BTW

\m/ ^.^ \m/

Archived