Clever Girl... - Wink Wink, Nudge Nudge

Greyall

That pose is used in the marine dex as well i don't remember which one though curses.

He is a little bland could use the eye of horus on the eight pointed star to show he is one of the black legion.

I got it the nid hunters in the fourth IIRC.

Brother Dakath nailed it, this was inspired by Horus holding Sanguinius' piece of plate in the masterpiece by Adrian Smith.

http://images.wikia.com/warhammer40k/images/b/ba/Fullview_emperor-horus.jpg

Place your order, Dakath, and I shall draw it!

That is an Eye of Horus in the center of the Chaos Star. Not the stylized, drawn version, but the more...glassy one. Sanguinius used those eyes on his armour as well, but Horus and his Legion were the ones that made it a style accessory. Plus with the wolf imagery and whatnot, I don't think he lacks allegiance.

The Hound was a pleasant surprise. I like the inspiration grounded in a well known Horus picture personally as well. It's simple, but not in a bad way at all. And your dimensions were very nice.

Was a great thread, friend. Looking forward to these Terminators. :)

Looking forward to the Terminator thread as well! :) I'll send you a PM in a little bit to let you know what I decide on.

**Edit**

Well I have almost never used PM's here on the B&C and I didn't see anything in my sent items so I'll just place it here.

If it would be possible I'd like to see the primarch Vulkan. If you need anymore info just lemme know.

Greyall, not only you havea talent for drawing but I also enjoy your descriptions of the characters background immensly! Well done!

@ Brother Dakath: I had a similar problem. It appears that unless you check a smal box under your text while typing there will be no record of you ever sending a PM. That doesn't mean it is not sent...

First of all, thank you very much for each and every comment, be it positive or not. I'd never have thought I'd be able to draw 9 characters this fast without losing motivation or getting distracted in-between.

Brother Dakath's choice was awesome, the only thing that scares me is how on Earth or Heaven to make a shoulderguard out of a salamander skull...oh well...

@Grim: The first Terminator is almost done. Have to say, though, it was a terrible choice to begin a series, sucks the willforce right out of you to have such a hard time drawing your favourite Legion. Bah...I'm anxious to begin Vulkan.

@Validar: Vulkan is the only loyalist coming up in the near future. Sorry about that =)

@Sanguinius: It'll be a long time before the sons of Sanguinius show up in my artwork. But I'll take your enthusiasm into account when I turn to loyalists.

I think so...This thread has a vague enough title for the Termies to fit here, and, to be honest, I wouldn't like to see it plunge into oblivion.

Guys, I need some help. I'm thinking of sending some pieces to Games Workshop - about 3 or 4 should be enough, according to their advice on the submissions page.

I know, I only have Space Marines and, even then, I'll probably send Raptors only, since they are my best works. I feel pretty comfortable at that, to be honest. I've managed to get some nice poses for them Raptors and, there're no harder characters to give fluidity to than power-armoured ones. Leaner figures, like Eldar, Imperial Guard or even Necrons, are much easier to pose. Anyway, GW itself says one good figure is better than a whole roster with ups and downs, so they don't want to know if I can draw a Squig as well as a Chapter Master.

I wouldn't call this an application, since I lack the high hopes to do that, what I do have a fervent desire to come up with new concepts for miniatures. Poses, wargear, backstory, all of those are departments I feel comfortable at. Now you see why I like John Blanche's work so much: he's given shape to this awesome setting, visually. We should all make sacrifices for the Blanche Throne.

What I'm asking you, be you recent inductees or long-time connoisseurs of Warhammer 40.000, is to help me with the process. First and foremost, be perfectly honest in telling me whether you think I'm good enough (in the conceptual department, I'm not aiming for the Dainton/Smith artistic level, right now). Think about how my Raptors would translate as minis.

Second, I'd ask you to suggest three or four of those Raptors to send. Remember, mix personal taste and "awesometer" results with the technical aspects of the piece, like execution, details, pose, etc.

Thank you a bunch.

First up, go for it! You truely have the talent for it, you draw awesome figures, and the backgrounds behind them are just fantastic!

As for the Raptors, I'm going to give you 5, because I can't choose between them!

They are (In no particular order):

Thousand Sons

Death Guard

Word Bearer

Black Legion

Night Lord

These are, IMHO, your best pieces.

Good luck! :P

Castiel

the way your latest works fascinated and inspired me, i'd say it's a crime if you don't send them to GW.

as for which raptors to send (had a very hard time deciding):

Scciroc, Who Taints the Skies -Thousand Sons

Struthios, The Dragon - Alpha Legion

Alvaur "Roar" Cravasson - Night Lords

Abrajam Howlon - Black Legion

but whomever you're gonna choose, doesn't matter much, cuz they're all awesome :rolleyes:

Good luck brother!

Yes - definately send them to GW!

Best in my view:

Cravasson - The Night Lord

Vuor Saddat - The Word Bearer

Braianel - The Fallen DA

Scciroc - Thounsand Sons

Vinicius - Emperor's Children

Funnily this is not an order of preference. I can't decide between them... I just think they are markedly better than the rest. The problem with loincloth alignment on Vinicius does not detract from the excellent concept - so he makes it in my top choices...

Now as to which ones will make the best miniatures this is a bit more tricky. We have Raptors here so some movement/dynamism is only to be expected. In this respect I have to rule out the Black Legionnaire - too static. Also the Word Bearer for the same reason. Without the jump pack he might be just an "ordinary" Champion... On the other hand the too dynamic poses will make for difficult 3D incarnations too. I have yet to see a really nice "flying" infantry model. So the Iron Warrior is out. To cut it short the best miniatures for jump pack marines are the ones that look like they just landed, with both feet firm on the ground. The winner is:

THE NIGHT LORD!

It has movement, it is threatening - it's just perfect! A close second is the Thousand Son because although fairly static he looks avian enough to convey the message... Ooh and the Fallen DA. He looks like striding towards his pray - so the movement element is there. But he doens't look like he has just landed. He looks more like walking fast. If you were to have him in 3D you might exchange the jump pack with a normal back pack the the figure would stand its ground. Although the sheer extravagance of his jump pack will make it a must :huh:! I just wish I liked the World Eater a bit more because he has the stance and the looks but the small "toes" and the right hand & shoulder piece are a bit off-putting for me (I like the face and the turbine though ;)). Funnily the Death Guard guy is also interesting because he has the correct pose, I'm just a bit tired of the "bloated" image for Nurgle marines.

Its a very tall order to request a top 3-4 of your raptors when they are all so good....however i'll put forward my personal views and reasonings:

1 - Vicinius: Hes a very detailed model with a very regal pose, his mixture of flesh and metal make him visually appealing and his story is well written! His pose also matches quite well with his story as you can almost imagine his foes (and friends) bowing before his magnificence

2 - Brianel the Blessed: A nice dynamic pose with the model striding into battle (perhaps goes 'against the grain' for a raptor to do any walking, but i'm sure they have to walk around sometime) but certainly very cool regardless. He also is broken up by his robes which helps it look all the more menacing.

3 - Goras Tarbod: This might be a little more of personal preference now, but I certainly thing this character is worth it in the top 3! Whilst his being 'extra tall' might be something of a trouble model making wise, that Valkyrie engine really helps MAKE the model. His weapon is quite cool, very barbaric and his armour is extremely nice, large shin plates really help give it definition, the head is also really nice and a little more original in my opinion. The only quarrel is that the characters right arm (the one with the decapitating/scalping knife) looks a little off, but I think its otherwise fine

4 - Alvaur Cravasson: I really like the pose for this model and the head really stands out and brings a lot of primal images to the character which perhaps helps his own back story, his weaponry also matches well with this and looks brutal so overall I think he would be a very worthwhile addition.

Ok so those are my recommendations...I have to say I like all of them in different ways, so its extremely hard choosing. I think close runners up for me could be:

Scciroc and Struthios who both look quite good in their poses and I could very much imagine them as miniatures!

This isn't to say the rest aren't good (because they really are REALLY GOOD) and if they made them as miniatures I would get them, but you now have my 'top' choices as it were. Hope that is of some help :lol:

i would have to agree with Castiel on this one, the first 2 IMO were the best ones but the Black legion was also really good, i would buy a model of him, the word bearer would be nice to see as a model but mostly because they dont have any models for word bearers yet. finaly, theres the night lord, who i think would look the best in model form and reading the other replys, im not the only one to think so it seems.

They are awesome but id say go for the...

Night Lord

Fallen Angel

Thousand sons

Deathguard

World Eather

As they have the most wicked and cool aperance and the most charackter about them and would make awesome models!!!! id by a fincast of them each atleast mate!!

Cant wait to see the Terminators apear!!!!!

I would say, if I had to rank them...

1.) Vuor Saddat, The Word Spoken

2.) Vinicius, To Whom You Bow

3.) Braianel, The Blessed

4.) Struthios, The Dragon

They are the best concept-wise and would translate VERY well into miniatures. I would love to know which one you decide to send in.

Thank you very much, mates. Great responses. I counted your votes, and have to double thank-you for making your choices in such professional way.

See, I say this because neither Struthios (Alpha Legion) nor, especially, Mattur (Death Guard) were among the favourites, yet they were mentioned a few times. Mattur is among the 5 most voted, actually, but I share Semper's thought on bloated Death Guards - I like the guy, yet I would've made him different today. That being so, I decided to swap him for another Raptor.

So, without further ado, here are the five Chosen Ones:

Alvaur "Roar" Cravasson - The most voted by a landslide. I think I took many risks with the pose that today this guy still makes me cringe in fear when looking at it. I just know I'll find a horrible mistake, but it's yet to appear. He's a winner in terms of conveying the personality inside the suit and as a concept. Oh, and...everyone loves him.

Scciroc, Who Taints the Skies - I don't think there was a chance of him not being sent, even if no one voted for him. Scciroc is one of my favourite drawings of all time. It's a little simplish here and there, but if given the chance of having a miniature made from one of these Raptors, I'd go for him.

Braianel, The Blessed - Cheswick, fresh news! No surprises here, he is the most popular after Cravasson, and will forever serve me as an example of good risk-taking, especially with that helm.

Vuor Saddat, The Word Spoken - This fella' just...came out really well. The backstory is probably the best in all the series, the armour design is simple but came out well, and it has a bunch of details that enrich him - the scythe, the icon, the jetpack, the mouthed helmet.

Aaannd...

Tarbod, Heir to Titans - His execution is flawed, he doesn't have the richest armour, in terms of details, and I'm still thinking if a Valkyrie turbine would really fit in a marine or prove too large. But his story is nice, his concept (Grey Knightish chaos armour) is probably the coolest out here, and his hammer would look sweeter in a mini than sugar-dipped diabetes. And he's a Grey Knight hunter, people would buy him just to make a point. Plus, he's a World Eater - my favourite Legion - and I can be superstitious.

Again, thank you very much to not only those who helped me with this, but everyone who commented and viewed this thread. I'll try to present these guys in a Codex-style format, should be ready next week.

Archived