Clever Girl... - Wink Wink, Nudge Nudge

Greyall

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2011/323/2/0/sagittar_phract___the_end_of_legends_by_greyall-d4gonsd.jpg

Saggitar Phract of the World Eaters, The End of Legends - Shield of the Primarch

Born in Terra, Saggitar Phract was already an extremely respected veteran of the War Hounds by the time Angron was presented to the Legion. Upon learning from Khârn of the Primarch's brutal slaughter of the Hound's most senior officers, Phract, his usual ice-cold self, vowed to teach the Angron the virtues of temperance.

Alas, the old warrior's teachings had no effect on the demigod's personality, but their result was nothing short of miraculous: Angron and Sagittar forged as true a friendship as the scarred Primarch could manage. To outsiders, it would seem the two were nothing more than long-time war comrades, yet some of the other Primarchs understood the impact Phract had had in Angron. Though only in whispered tones, many were of the opinion that the Red Primarch saw in Sagittar a true father figure, who tried to steer him yet respected his authority and his ability to make decisions.

Wether these hushed thoughts reach his ear or he somehow noticed, Angron abruptly stopped bringing Phract to most meetings, instead opting for Khârn, who the Primarch forever respected, not only for making him see the gains in leading the World Eaters, but for having a similar mindset. To this, Phract held no grudge, understanding as he was, and he continued to counsel his Primarch and, as leader of the Devourers - Angron's praetorian guard -, stand at his side on the battlefield.

Phract mastered very early the shield and gladius fighting style as done by the murmillo gladiators of old Roma, and it fit his cold, implacable demeanour like a glove. So great was the veteran's self-control that even the Legion's allegiance to Khorne did not turn Sagittar into a raving killer like the rest of the World Eaters, and the God of Warfare has grown to greatly respect the grizzled warrior, though dreams of subjugating his mind into madness. Still at Angron's side, Phract only enters the battlefield as bodyguard to his Primarch or when ordered a special assignment.

In battle, what is perhaps the oldest World Eater legionnaire alive is nothing short of a blood-freezing wonder. In dire contrast with the maddened charges of his comrades, Phract will advance at a constant pace, a behemoth even near other Terminators. Though apparently oblivious, those who've stood at his side the longest know he his scanning the battlefield for enemy commanders and champions, who he'll charge at frightening speed for his tremendous bulk. Phract absolutely loathes to fight lesser enemies unless they attack him, and will beat them to near-death for their insolence. He is known to duel other leaders inside a circle made from the near-corpses of his foe's squad members. The longer an enemy Commander takes to accept his challenge, the more violently Phract will vanquish him, and, above all, he'll kill any ally who dares to 'aid' him, regardless of rank.

Sagittar Phract still keeps his chain-gladius, 'Warsage', and Angron has gifted him with a piece of Wargear like no other, a shield almost the size of a space marine, made of the brass hide of a great Juggernaut of Khorne, and fit with a chainblade system powered by the beast's frenzied heart. the blades move so fast even a lightning fast slam with often shatter the most prized relic blade of rend open the hardest suit of armour.

Phract has become a legend on the battlefield, the slayer of lords of all races throughout millenia, ever the deliverer of his Primarch's blood-soaked judgement.

First Terminator of the new series, perhaps the closest I've come to have a waking nightmare, when I thought of all the details I wanted to include. But I like him. A lot. I didn't want to include the usual 'but' twist in his backstory. I don't think he is a Mary Sue, but if he sounds like it, I call the right to write at least one of the kind. I'm a fan of grizzled warriors kicking ass and not caring about names. And I'm an even bigger fan of World Eaters, so it's not really my choice wether to go Ward on this guy.

Night Lords are next, but first, Brother Dakath is getting a Primarch for Christmas.

That terminator is awesome and by far my favorite piece that youve done so far. Everything about it screams "I define badass.". My only question is the shield, the horns look like they are too large to allow the chainsaw to do its work. But thats my only "negative" about this piece. It is simply amazing.

Whaaaa.... ;)

This is so impressive, the concept, the detail, the execution and the story... The lot! I was looking at the shield like an idiot- it looks more brutal than the actual weapon.

In my attempt to be constructive I only have two comments. The first is the weapon itself. It has a story and a name and looks brutal but not special enough... Maybe it should be bigger or be brought forward? As it stands now the attention is drawn to the excellent shield which as aggressive and dangerous as it may look it is still a defensive tool and something not generally associated with WEs. But maybe this is intentional to make him stand apart and underline his cold/cool nature for WEs standards. In which case having the shield as the trademark weapon makes more sense than the Warsage. Still I think the sword is a bit understated. The other point has to do with the face. I think it's kind of asymmetrical if you really look at it for some time... This in no way distracts from the overall impression though - so no biggie.

Thanks, everyone. It's great to see you share the love for ol' Sagittar.

I forgot to talk about Warsage, it has a few things to itself, as well. The skulls are from three Chapter Masters, and the "teeth" are from a daemon. That same that powers the weapon (notice the inscribed metal on the engine area) by feeding on the souls of said Chapter Masters. Of course, the weapon wasn't always like this, but looks-wise, it's pretty much the same.

One the shield's spikes, aye, they impede contact with the shield's surface, but a shield was never going to come into contact with an enemy for a long time, so its main goal is as swordbreaker. Of course, Eldar, smaller Tyranids, most regular humans, non-suit Tau will fit right between the spikes.

On his beating of lesser foes, he doesn't want to give them the satisfaction of being killed by such a greater warrior. So he beats them to a pulp, to be killed by some cultist or lesser Daemon (assuming most Khorne marines don't really think killing a fallen foe is a worthy deed)

On the head, it is a bit asymmetrical, because it tends to happen when drawing faces - or most surfaces intended to be symmetrical - and because the helmet's sides have different cable intakes and such.

Again, thanks a bunch for the comments. Will have Vulkan ready soon enough.

I'm going to say that your works are my favourite uncoloured art in 40k. In fact in the sci-fi genre altogether.

In this you're competing with Jes Goodwin - a man whose works don't have a whole helluva lot of competition as far as my appreciation is concerned.

great work on all of your work. perhaps the best ive seen in the way of fanart. and ive seen a good number of works. though i do find it hard to believe that any spacemarine no matter how undersized could come close to being shorter than a normal human man.(Black legion)

@Master Benji: Well, at 2 meters tall, he'll be higher than the vast majority of the Imperial Guard. But hey, if say Wilt Chamberlain was recruited, then he'd be looking straight in the eye of even a non-flawed Space Marine. =) Thanks, man

@Ageis: The Twins are a pain for those of us who prefer jump pack and multiton troops...gah, how am I going to make a stealthy Terminator...I can't go the way of the Dragon again, it only works once. Thank you.

@Olisredan: The studs/skulls were one of the most extenuating piece or armour detail I've ever done. Damn, why do I love skulls so much...Thanks, mate.

Well a stealthy terminator...you could always make him eerily quiet...as though there is not a sound coming from his body....he'll still affect his surroundings but noone will hear him coming...

or alternatively hes there after the silence has been broken and they need someone to smash faces or make a distraction..just a few ideas to throw out there if they might inspire anything!

Usually, I draw the second kind, but I've done that with Struthios and, though he seemed to be well taken, I fully understand that some people mentioned he wasn't exactly following the Alpha Legion modus operandi. I have no problems assuming I used a trump card because, well, every army needs combat prowess and instincts. But to play that card again would just be lazy.

That first suggestions sounds pretty great. Especially because it reminds me of chameleons - which I like a lot and are reptiles, like the Alpha Legion's theme. I think I'm ready to queue the Alphas after the Night Lords.

Wow. If someone gives me a shield like that, I'll join Chaos. :)

Good stuff!

I'm personally looking forward to whatever you have planned for the Thousand Sons, since Scciroc was probably my favourite of your Raptors!

Archived