Clever Girl... - Wink Wink, Nudge Nudge

Greyall

@Grimdarkness: I was thinking more of a "high speed golfing" kind of attack, but your idea is even more contemptful. I like it.

@Watch Commander: Thank you very much, I also feel this is more consensual than the World Eater, technically.

Disclaimer on the Iron Warrior: I hate(!) yellow and black stripes. So much so that I know for sure I'll be killed by an excavator for laughing at its descending shovel...Yellow doesn't work for making things imposing, in my brain. Yes, I know it makes it all the more menacing when a yellow or lime-green guy kicks ass, but I keep wishing he had a wife with a sense of style who'd scolded him that morning.

As so, the IW Raptor will be completely metal.

I think the Word Bearer has excellent proportions. the size of the hand matches the size of the head - that should be the measure for measure I think. Love the weapon too. In my view there is nothing wrong with this picture - Congrats!!!

Now about the Iron Warrior, since you don't do color, can't I persuade you to show the hazard stripes anyway? It is kind of a signature thing for them... Think about it as dark mustard rather than a bright yellow... (I'm not sure I helped there - maybe I shot myself at the foot :P)

Well...I guess imposing my view on this guy will, in this case, take out some of his character...turns out I checked some material on IW, and the damned stripes really are a trademark. And, they're much less "clean" than I thought. I'll include some stripes, then.

Update: Iron Man's coming...

Update 2: Shamblin85 (http://shamblin85.deviantart.com/) did...this. Damn, I'm still coming to grips with how much I like it

http://th09.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2011/312/e/8/braianel__the_blessed__wallpaper_size_by_shamblin85-d4fhzlz.jpg

Iron Without, guys.

http://th03.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2011/312/9/5/ganimach__the_device_by_greyall-d4fihfn.jpg

Ganimach, The Device, Commander of Perturabo's Assault Forces

Jabulon Ganimach's most distinct trait was the absolute lack of glory-seeking, even in a Legion known for its discretion. One of the few first Assault Marines in service of the Iron Warrior, he took the even rarer role of fire support in the forefront assaults, and was renowned for his mastery of the bolter.

After the Heresy, Jabulon was one of those afflicted with the Obliterator Virus. But the condition affected more than his body...it warped his mind into something...colder, machine-like. Only that fact explains that the absolutely loyal Ganimach turned his bolter on his Warsmith in the middle of an ill-going battle. He did the same to those who tried to deterr of so much as question him. Failure to pursue the most successful strategy was unacceptable. The Iron Warriors were the victors, that day, and soon the "Obliteraptor", as some of his fellow legionnaires called him, was in the presence of the Primarch.

Since then, Ganimach commands the aerial vanguard of the Iron Warriors, and, truth be told, many of his forces' casualties are inflicted by him. Jabulon is an unforgiving commander, cutting down those he determines as impediments to the accomplishment of the mission, be they foes or allies.

Some Warsmiths worry about the power given to Ganimach, his logic-driven mind unpredictable in its stringency, but Perturabo worries not. He sees the tremendous asset the Obliterator Virus handed him. An invaluable tool both in a commanding role and in a duel, which he needs only point at an objective.

Inside his armour, Ganimach is a veritable array of machinery, sensors and cogitators granting him an enormous advantage in strength, accuracy, reflexes and battlefield assessment. This Jabulon both accepts and - logically - improves on, not even registering the inadvertent whirring and beeping from his mechanical parts. Should Ganimach devote even a glimpse of his analytical capacity to the sound, he would surely notice how much it resembles laughter.

I'll admit right now that this doesn't take the award for best of the series, there are perspective issues with both arms. The arrangement of the left arm's chainclaws is also a bit deceiveing, it'd make more sense for the three claws to be located on top and the single one below. I was trying to be...unconventional...meh. Also, the arms seems to fold rather than bend, but by the time I noticed it I was really too far ahead (drawing those chainclaws was excruciating). As for the right arm, it's just the piece of plating under it that has a few perspective issues. That said, I'm pretty satisfied with it, the armour is clean and the stiped areas are well integrated. I'm pretty proud of the helmet, breastplate, jetpack and the arrowed trim.

Speak your mind. I'll be going for the Black Legionnaire, now, and I promise to end with a bang. Again, thanks for watching.

I know it's a selfish request, but why don't you do one more raptor for your self? As part to your DIY legion if you have one, or even as your self. *Tzeentch's voice whispers* "Haven't you ever wanted to be a raptor lord?

To be honest, I really just want to prolong this thread for another few days and really do like your work.

Mate, I feel honoured, but there's no need to keep this very series going. After this, and by suggestion of our B&C brother Antti, I'll be doing one for Traitor Legions' Terminators. And, after that, possibly one for Pre-Heresy Terminators - or Horus Heresy Novels' characters, I'll decide when I get there. But the Chaos Terminators are definitely next.

Thank you very much, once again.

Is it just me or are the heads really small on most pictures? Otherwise I really like the series, especially the large differences between the legions. Did I miss the world eaters?

If you are not irredemeemably lost to Chaos, how about doing some loyalist raptors assault marines? Heresy era terminators sound like a good idea as well.

Thanks for the compliments, everyone.

@Quixus: Sorry, mate, I'll be needing a time off from Jump Packs. The darn things are a bit draining to make. So instead I'll devote myself to giant power-armour. By the way, here's my view on scale, for the Terminators to come:

http://a3.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/84/8b2913d44a61401d8a59ea066cf01850/l.jpg

Artwork by Sam Wood

These are almost perfect in terms of bulk, and the terminator in the back is about the right height.

Did you say Terminators? This sounds awesome! Would you consider a full pre-heresy range? All 18 legions?

Also I'd very much like to see your take on the Primarchs! But I'm getting ahead of myself maybe...

How about maybe some Dornian heresy stuff?

Now there's a thought!

18 Pre-Heresy loyalist Termies is a freaking lot, not sure I can draw under the same mantra for that long. The Chaos ones are definitely being done and, again, they'll look pretty Pre-Heresish. After those, I can maybe go for the loyalist Legions, but I can't see myself redrawing the traitors unless I have a killer idea. Though I don't think there is much safety in me trying to make estimates beyond that, I'll probably go for characters that I feel need fleshing out, after this, be they from regular 40K or yes, maybe even the Dornian Heresy. But that's a fair time away.

And thanks to everyone I haven't thanked before. =)

Ladies and gents...this is the end:

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2011/317/2/9/abrajam_howlon__the_bloodhound_by_greyall-d4g3swb.jpg

Abrajam Howlon, The Bloodhound - Abaddon's Enforcer

Abrajam started his career in the Luna Wolves as "Hound", a mocking nickname in a Legion of wolves, given onto the young recruit due to his small stature (in Astartes terms). Indeed, a small genetic malfunction left Howlon measuring "only" 2 metres tall, well below his brothers and even a few Imperial Guardsmen that accompanied the Luna Wolves on their expeditions.

This mockery lasted until, during a reconnaissance mission on an Eldar Maiden World that threatened to end in tragedy for the Luna Wolves, Howlon charged the Warlock and its retinue of Banshees - including an Exarch - and singlehandedly slaughtered them, finishing the Warlock while enduring a psychic barrage. When reinforcements finally landed, they found the very few remaining legionnaires defending a colapsed Hound against the Eldar's desperate stand.

The astonishment was Legion-wide, but rapidly turned to cheering and roars of approval when Horus and Abaddon announced that Abrajam Howlon was to be promoted to the 1st Company in assault role. From then on, he was to be known as the Bloodhound and he kept demonstrating that his heroic deeds against the Eldar were not an exception. Above all, though, the promotion instilled in Abrajam a deep devotion for Horus and Abaddon for awarding him the respect he deserved, something that only Captain Loken of the 10th had done, until then.

The fall of the Sons of Horus into Heresy was a time of brutal change for Howlon. That Loken was so adamant in betraying his Primarch made him anger boil. As one of the Legion's heroes, Howlon was portrayed as a symbol of Horus' blessings and inspiration, and his fanatical ways were also employed in rooting out (and "converting") some of the more reluctant brethren.

Upon the birth of the Black Legion, and even though The Bloodhound refused to blame Horus for the failure of the Heresy - he felt that each Legionnaire had failed the Primarch - Abaddon easily saw how foolish it would be to waste the services of one so competent and loyal. In fact, he gave him one of the most highly regarded - and feared - positions in the Legion: that of Enforcer.

Howlon travels throughout the many battlefields of the Black Legion, establishing Abaddon's law among foe and ally alike. He has put down Champions that are too aspiring, Sorcerors that seem too eager to abide to orders from the Dark Gods against those of Abaddon, scheming Heralds of Tzeench, rioting Berzerkers and Bloodletters, and he does so with a cold belief that ensures he usually needs only to strike a single nuisance for the rest to get the message.

And so it ends, the Raptor thread, seemed really fast, but motivation played a major part and I have you guys to blame for that, as well. Again, thank you very much. See ya.

Ah, not so easily, young padawans. I'm going out (of this series) with a bang. Or, as I call it, a contest of 40k Artwork knowledge.

The challenge: be the first to link or post the (well-known) piece of artwork that inspired this drawing of mine. It's easy, but I'll give you a clue: that thing he's holding is a mask from a Blood Angel Sanguinary Guard, which is sort of a downgrade from the inspirational piece.

That should be enough, but I'll help again if no one nails it by Tuesday.

The prize: a drawing of a power-armoured character (that means Loyalist or Traitor Marine - or Custodes) of your choice. Be it Calgar, Asterion Moloc, the Emperor, Valdor, Lucius, Bile (please, not Bile), a redraw of one of these Raptors or your very own custom-made Marine persona, you name it, you get it (of course, I'll post it here, as well).

Again, bros, thank you very much for all the support. Be sure to stick around, I'll be posting the first of the Chaos Terminators briefly. Hint hint: it's a pit fighter.

Archived