The Eagles Spire - Semper Fidelis Eagles Eternal

Really really nice green stuffing you've got there Angel, loving all the modifications to your commander and the cool poses you've got going.

Painting is really nice and crisp too some of the colours could benefit from a highlight or too but very clean and neat painting all the same.

Looking forward to more.

James

Thanks All.

im glad you like the pose James, which colors specificly do you think could use a highlight?

its good you think so Omo, ill do my best to keep it up.

shadowmane, shame on you lurking for so long with out saying hi. to answer youre question though, yes. blood stripes on all veterans, except those of the first company, as the first company wears the white summer trousers. none of the pictures have really shown the sergeants legs. ill try and get a picture up tomorrow to show them.

in the mean time... it is not easy to paint 10 helms in white. i may have to rethink my method. any suggestions would be appreciated.

Well the blues and the reds on that last tactical squad look a little flat but seeing the highlights on your captian make me think that it may be the picture (unless your captian has had his highlights taken further). Also the cables on the link up to the backpack for the Plamsa Cannon looka bit flat too.

As for the white hmmm. Not actually paitned white to be honest but why not try a couple of thins layers layered over the Celestra grey as thats a pretty light colour already.

Cheers

James

When I decided to let my experience is the Marine Corps inspire my Space Marines, I didn't think about actually painting them up in the colors (though I did end up with dark blue, amusingly enough). Just make sure your Scouts are camo'd up, heh. Quite inspired. I like it. The green stuff work is solid too. As far as your techmarine, if you haven't already decided, check out the Commandant's Own's Dress Reds (is that what they're called? I realized I have no idea).

Keep up the good work brother.

-Veteran Sergeant (Sgt, USMC)

James, youre right the Chapter Master has the highlights taken to the level i will one day take these guys, for now i just want something table ready (but it seems that i must take it one step beyond that before im satisfied???) ill be adding some highlights to the red and blues later, once i have the first 1000 points done. i did some experimenting with the white and used a mix of skull white with space wolves grey, im really happy with what happend, though the final layer of white was still... well, it does what it does.

Veteran Sergeant, i dont think i ever originaly thought this project would be this much Marine back when i started it in the barracks so many years ago. i wish i had more to show for the last 5 years, but at the same time the longer ive been in the more im influenced to up the quality. thanks for youre praises, they help me keep focused (I have other project ideas that are very presistant upon drawing away my attention) one day my three companies will be finished. and scouts will definitly be in digis.

as for the techmarines, i did decide to use the Dress Reds, but for the pilots i'll be keeping their trousers red as not to distract away from the rest of the aircraft. and to keep with the theme of first company having the white summer trousers.

heres an update on my progress this week. painting the helmets ive learned that the method i used to alter the helmets needs to be adjusted. i would love some feedback on a question ive come up with, should i continue to paint helmets seperatly, or would it be easyer to have them actualy on the model before i prime and paint?

on with the marines, divided into combat squads for easyer photography

http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o567/lastdog/009-Copy2_zps6bfa885c.jpg

http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o567/lastdog/010-Copy2_zpsf393512f.jpg

heres a close up on the plasma gunner

http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o567/lastdog/005_zpsda0afc38.jpg

and i have one last question for you all. i decided to mix things up with the armor and use one of the shoulderpads without the trim on the edge, the one with the studs. how do you all think i should go about painting it? i looked at how the sternguard models painted by the heavy metal team were done, and noticed that instead of painting it the normal armor color they used the color of the trim. so i could paint the entire thing red. or another way i saw and thought might look good is to leave the pad black, and paint the studs metalic. im interested in youre oppinion.

i dont know if you can see it, but i did a thin line of regal blue to highlight the black on one of the helmets, it's on the multi melta. how do you think that looks? should i do that to all the black?

next update will have squad markings on the shoulde pads, and ranks. possibly being the compleetion of the models? untill i come back to do some more highlighting.

see you all next time.

So I bought the terrain piece with the wrecked rhino thinking it would be great fun to build. Lies! The sharp detail seen on the box is not 100% in the model, weather it's due to a crappy mold or because the one painted on the box is modified i dont know. What I do know is when the time is right I will have to put a portion of my skill and cunning, or rather all my skill and cunning.

The question is when to start work on this? As I'm nearing the completion of this squad, I will tell you of my plan. I'm currently working on a 1000 point list, the completed dreadnaught and terminators will be joined by squad three and another, both in drop pods and a third pod for the dreadnaught. This strike force will be led by a chaplain. A chaplain that I will have to find parts for.

Once I finish this then I will consider working on the terrain piece, but I think I might up the army to 2000 points first.

i spent the early hours of the morning working on the shoulder pads, thought i would upload them for you all before i head into work.

Staff Sergeant Issac, still need to put his squad, company, and rank markings

http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o567/lastdog/019.jpg

Corporal Cole will be leading the second "Fire team" (Combat squad)

http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o567/lastdog/018.jpg

and a group shot to show off a number of the shoulder pads

http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o567/lastdog/020.jpg

hope you like it. i still dont know what to do with the studded shoulder pad, any suggestions are welcome. this squads almost done.

The colour scheme is so original, it looks like dress 2 or 1. My favorite thing as small as it is, is the chapter masters scabbard with the straps that hold it to his power armour its a small detail but it adds so much charater the rest of the model is amazing too but thats the part that shows how much you cared. great work keep it up.

ChapterMasterDemon: Thanks, any GS'ing in particular you'd like to see? im going to try and challenge myself with my next model, but im going to try and make him original to the army.

thank you Night Hunters, it came out alot better than the last time i tried to use red free hand. now hurry up and finish that A-10

Squeaky: im glad you liked it, i wasnt sure about it at first, but i've always hated how they give you some swords that are in scabbards and just expect you to glue it down somewhere and expect that to be the end of it. the same thing with my bolters, i just cant have them hanging there. that scabbard was actualy a chainsword that i filed down and GS'ed the edges, i think the skull came off the power sword.

thanks Jwentzel, i really appreciate the replys.

im glad so many people like these guys, ive finished the squad now (my first full squad in the army) except for a few highlights i'll add once i have some more squads done. the only thing i have not finished is the studded shoulderpad, which i still am unable to figure out what to do with. im playing a game tomorrow so i might get an idea there...

untill next time.

Oh god I have no idea.... Ummmmm, I think I would like the opinion of a corpsman on this, what are you're thoughts? White body legs and arms sounds like it would be wrong, I think maybe doing the right shoulder pad white would be fitting... Maybe a white power pack...

Maybe if I do the jacket white, leave the leggings blue....

Or an I thinking about this wrong, maybe I should use the navys uniform for this, are their dress uniform the black ones or the white ones? I'm always confused with navy uniforms

Thanks, I was dreading having to do that, lol. I'm getting at the chaplain now and Whao, so many options. I wish humans had more shoulders so I could do more with these pads, haha. I think the best way to decide which parts to use is to seperate the different Peices and start fitting together what looks best. I may not need to do any green stuff to this.

Part of me hopes that the 6th edition SM codex has chaplain apprentice retinues so I have an excuse to build them all!

For this last Tac squad I did I posted a lot of updates that saw very little change. This was fine for my first squad as I was making sure that the direction I saw with them was a solid path. Now that I have a squad to emulate, I don't feel I need to post as many updates, seeing so little change between the two. I'll still post updates as needed, more so with conversions and special characters.

That's all for now brothers, Ooh Rah!

success!

i primed some models today, and managed to use a spray can without dust/paint/crazyness growing all over them. this being the first time that ive managed to spray prime a model successfuly for the first time in 4 years is a real confidence booster.

having succeded at that task, i went on to seperate peices of the blood angels Death Company box. i cant say it enough, i think this box is a real success from GW. there are so many options. personaly i dont think i would want to do a blood angel army, im more into DIY's (though even then i dont think i would want to do a successor) but GW should really use the DC box as a standard. though theres only enough legs and bodies to make five marines, they also supply you with 5 bolters, 5 bolt pistols/chain swords, 2 plasma pistols, 2 hand flamers, 2 melta pistols, a thunder hamer, a power fist and power sword, a number of differnt helms, 5 power packs and five jump packs, numorous shoulder pads, and number of other little bits of flavor. each piece is unique and full of flavor, one box could be combined with a box or two of tactical marines or assault marines and easily create close to 20 death company marines that are all uniqe.

the point im getting at is, this is what sternguard and vanguard need. (not a crappy set of 8 fine cast weapons that dont look like anything special)

with this great box of awesome bits in hand, i seperated the legs and chest's to see what i could come up with for ideas. i took the pieces that have this arched window look (it reminds me of stained glass windows at church) and cut off a number of the Blood tears. filed down the upper portion of the chest so i could put some Green stuff in it.

this is what i have so far.

http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o567/lastdog/008.jpg

http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o567/lastdog/007.jpg

(i know the chest still has a blood drop on it, im going to replace it with a skull)

i dont plan on using this head, though i do think he has a very dramatic pose with it, im hoping it will look just as good with a skull helm. the sword will be replaced with an axe, and the axe head will be replaced with an eagle. after that the only thing left to do is find a combi flamer (or convert one of these hand flamers) and probably add some more skulls, some purity seals, and more....death.

my plan on painting him as of right now is not determined. most chaplains it seems have the shoulder pad with the chapter symbol be the same as the rest of the chapter, which is where they show the chaper colors. if i where to do this it would just be another black shoulder pad and none of the blue. so im thinking that if i make the legs blue, and the chest and arms black... then maybe ill keep the gloves white and the collar's red.... ill have to decide upon this later, when i have time to play with the army painter.

thanks for watching, Ooh Rah!

looking good, though you definately need the weapon as a power maul. Typically shaped like a double headed axe with the blades the wings of an imperial Aquila.

Remember that if this dude is going to represent Cassius, you need a Combiflamer as well, and if you are going for an exposed head, remember that Cassius is tough because he's been mostly rebuilt with Bionics. My Cassius is simpler but uses this movel with half the face missing

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/...dId=prod1140169

looks like the Terminator hehehe

FragEmAll, i found the perfect bit in my bag of unused parts from the Commander box for the weapons head.

as for combi flamers, there doesnt seem to be an actual combi-flamer part (except for in the sternguard weapons box) which is a waist of money imo. so ive been making my own, i think its awesome.

i plan on making a skull helm for him. and changing his name. and his story line.

heres an update.

http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o567/lastdog/008-Copy.jpg

http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o567/lastdog/011.jpg

and a combi flamer made from a bolter, a small piece of the axe head i used for his power maul, an old clipping of plasticard i didnt need, a krak grenade, and some green stuff. a little bit more work to do on it, should be done soon.

http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o567/lastdog/009.jpg

http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o567/lastdog/010.jpg

thats all for now gents. enjoy.

not actualy having ever actualy owned a chaplain before (i think one of my first models was actualy a chaplain on bike that i never played with.) i had to try my go at making a skull helm for my Cassius counts as.

tell me what you think, i found it difficult to get the left eye to match the right eye.

http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o567/lastdog/002.jpg

enjoy.

Loving most of the conversion work (particularly the bones and the combi flamer!) but I think the mask is looking a little... canine. Too snouty, I think. I'm sure you can clear it up though, everything else looks pretty great.

Archived