Night Lords "Tenebrous Winter" (GREY KNIGHT 08/12)

AlanofAngels

Don't worry, we're gonna push you and compliment you and threaten you with the skinning pits until you finish an entire army of these beauties. :tu:

Perfection. Absolute perfection. (except for the empty spaces on the bases :wink:)

Hey guys!

@GrandMagnus: Thanks, man! Yeah I am always really careful when painting blades because I feel like the smoothness of the surface will amplify any small imperfections, like minuscule paint clumping which metallics are infamous for. Hahahaha perhaps Sevatar :wink: Right now I've got my eyes set on carving an HQ of my own devising from the devastated Imperium :tongue.:

@Pearson: Thanks! 
@DeathSpecterSgt7: Thank ya dude!

@Augustus: Hehehe thanks man! Everyone seems split on the bases! Some people like the personal plinth kind of look while others want me to add the snow to the rims! Personally, I can't decide! Any thoughts would be appreciated :smile.:

@Schaney: While I can't speak to the bodies as I've never ordered them, the FW heads are absolutely gorgeous! And no airbrush work here; just ye good olde paintbrush with some nice thinned paints :tongue.:  

I've started on the plasma guy, so more to come soon!

Progress! I, in my non-timely fashion, finished up the plasma guy:

gallery_47732_9950_287227.jpg

gallery_47732_9950_361405.jpg

gallery_47732_9950_894981.jpg

gallery_47732_9950_87530.jpg

gallery_47732_9950_139513.jpg

Some of you with discerning eyes may notice that the face mask on this guy is gold rather than bone, and I did that mainly to add some variety (we are chaos after all :tongue.: ) but also because I thought it would almost look like a cool samurai mask type thing; something very imposing, but something someone fashioned for a specific purpose. I personally kind of dig how it came out so will probably be throwing these in here and there, especially to differentiate replicate heads!

I'll be getting the next guy together here soon (another plasma dude) so more to come! Thanks for looking and all C&C welcome! :smile.:

A combat knife and plasma gun, beeecaaause why not! I love his rallying pose, or slashing pose, or "hey guys, lets take a cool picture" pose. :P And the golden mask is a nice detail to distinguish him from others.

One thing Im curious about though, you always leave the right pauldron blank, is there a particular reason for that? And Im not complaining, it looks great with the added lightning bolts.

One thing Im curious about though, you always leave the right pauldron blank, is there a particular reason for that? And Im not complaining, it looks great with the added lightning bolts.

Is it because the other pauldrons all have chaos pauldrons, and Night Lords are too awesome to pray to gods? :tu:

Hey Alan, come join the ETLIV! I know you value quality over quantity, but you can still add your points to the Chaos pool. Plus we always have a hilarious time over at the Chaos Strategium making fun of those stuck up Templars. :tu:

@GrandMagnus: Thanks dude! In all honesty, there isn't too much of a reason :wink: Some guys have stuff on em', others, like this guy, don't! I usually just use the regular chaos pads on their right shoulder so it's basically just whether I think the model needs more gold or not, as the designs on those pads I typically paint gold. With the mk III guys, all that trim on the legs and chests make for plenty of gold so I usually leave them with blank right pads to tone it down a bit. Not to mention the detail on the FW Night Lord Pads are brimming with detail, so they kind of make up for it! :tongue.:

@Augustus: GODS SHMODS! Hmmmmm I do hate to pass up a chance to make fun of templars...

@Kage: Well I love cookies too...

So it's between making fun of templars, and cookies... I'll have to think on it :wink: I'm finishing up assembling the next plasma guy so more to come!

New plasma bro is pretty darn awesome! I did the same thing with my Terror Squad heads, painting the skull bits bronze. Looks awesome in your style.

Bro, you know you want you want to come over to the heresy. Have you seen "Talent for Murder" or the rules for Night Raptors and Terror Squads? Us 8th legion are hardasses in the future-past :D

@Flint: Thanks Flint! I really dig the bronze! Pre heresy is awfully tempting but since I'm running these guys as post-heresy I think it's make more sense to join Forte and his band of merry men (yes merry men) in Chaos Forum hahaha!

@Schaney: Thanks dude! I've been trying out my new plasma technique on these guys and I have to say I'm pretty happy with it! Plasma guns are always a giant pain because of the HUGE ugly mould line right down the middle of the plasma coil that ya need to get rid of, otherwise it sticks out so bad :dry.:

@Olis: Thanks a lot Olis! Always great to hear :smile.:

@Augustus: I may indeed be joining you :wink: Maybe 5 bikers or some such... 

@Arkhan: You're way too kind man! Your Sons of Tyr are absolutely gorgeous, dude! B&C is so awesome because we can all just see each others' amazing stuff to further our own hobby :smile.:

So the next (plasma) guy is assembled and prepared to primed; no WIP shots because he is kind of a mess in terms of pre-paint assembly because of his final pose, but I think those of you who want some dynamic marines will be pleasantly surprised! More to come! :smile.:

I know this will sound like a really stupid question but what's the deal with the ETL? I have no idea what it means and it kinda leaves me clueless as to what's going on. I've seen it in a few of the other guys posts and forums.

@Forte: Hahaha no worries man! I'll just steal them from ya, VIII legion style.

@Kage: It really is the biggest travesty of travesties :wink: Well the help they'll be getting from me is optimistically like 5 bikers so... I'll be carrying the Chaos forum on my back :tongue.:

@Schaney: Basically it's a massive forum wide painting competition with the sub forums going head to head to essentially see who can paint the most points. Needless to say, as this is speed related endeavor, I am no help to anyone :wink:

Well I was going to do a bit of midnight priming on my newest guy, but since it is typhooning out I decided to preoccupy myself with some family photos:

gallery_47732_9950_361193.jpg

gallery_47732_9950_453472.jpg

So not the most amazing photos, mainly because I actually only have 3 pieces of paper on hand (and by that I mean in my house, in my whole :censored: house, 3 pieces of paper) to make a small light box from hahahaha! That makes 16 guys in total, so 4 more coming up; 2 plasma gunners, 1 more bolter guy, and then the Second Claw Headsman! More to come!!

@Kage: Thanks Kage! I love those dirtied up guys but I figured my Night Lords were pretty busy models and even adding weathering to them might be too much. 

@Schaney: Thanks a lot dude! Definitely check out the ETL! I'm planning to join here soon with my meager contribution :wink:

@Magnus: Thanks a bunch Magnus! I couldn't help myself from throwing the group together for some pictures haha!

I'm going to prime plasma dude today and I'm also hoping my FW order arrives so I may yet have more to show! More to come! :smile.:

Archived