Night Lords "Tenebrous Winter" (GREY KNIGHT 08/12)

AlanofAngels

Jeepers creepers that's a nice looking paint job mate! Very clean - I love it! (and I certainly can't do it)

Just a question, not a critique, are those freehand numbers something you really want/need to do? Could you use the FW etched brass instead? Just asking!

Luke

Thanks for the replies guys!

@Dorns_Fist- Thanks Man!

@Yogi- I had actually seen that picture! I decided against it mainly because I'm not a terribly big fan of the "hollowed" out arrow/triangle design. Also it's funny you mention the white versus the green because I am trying to keep the green to a minimal on these guys (mainly to legion symbol) so it stands out a little more.

@Batu- Thanks man! Yeah I have pretty much decided on the numbers :) Again, I'm still battin' around the idea of of having some variation in the company number (VII, 7, etc.).

@The Sound of Machines- :P Thanks mate! As far as the freehand goes, I've always preferred freehand to engraved pads, not to mention my own ineptitude at getting both decals and anything thicker to smoothly adhere to the funky curves on a shoulder pad!

Hey guys! So today was, as I predicted it would be, a bit of a lazy day for the hobby, but I did manage to get the main portions of the models finished plus the base:

gallery_47732_7984_4378117.jpg

I should be able to finish em' up tomorrow, but I occasionally get lazy when it comes down to the small, fiddly bits, so I suppose we shall see! I hold out hope though... C&C most welcome and encouraged! :D

Simply said, I love these models :D. The Blue is, well, how to put it... amazing! I totally agree that it's crisp and clean. The freehand hydra is fantastic, but with the VII symbol I have the impression that it's a bit awkward. Maybe because of the shoulderpad (after all it's not an even surface) but it seems a bit misplaced on the photo.

But generally keep it up :tu:!

Thanks for the words fellas!

@Captain Semper- Thanks man! I had actually thought about the LPC! Quick question, does the Horus Heresy count as a sub-forum in terms of the LPC? I think that is the only sub-forum that would work for these guys!

@Battle-Brother Ludovic- Thanks Ludovic, it is nice to be back! You can expect quite a bit out of me this time around!

@Behir- Thanks! I see what you mean about the numbering, but I think it's just the picture that skews it. I looked at it in person and it's pretty darned centered. That said, I am planning on varying that pad with different styles of "7" numbering (sizes, roman numerals, areas of the pad, etc.), so hopefully it will look a little less funky in the future!

Update time! I'm happy to say that I managed to crank out these bad boys (or rather these sneaky, conniving, subtle boys)!

gallery_47732_7984_913151.jpg

gallery_47732_7984_3062601.jpg

gallery_47732_7984_2211670.jpg

gallery_47732_7984_4723782.jpg

I actually noticed while painting them that the one model has different elbow guards than the others! Obviously, upon further inspection, it was true of the 4 unpainted ones as well so I guess it is one of the main differences between the 2 mk IV armour sets (besides the posing and plethora of rivets).

And the ever-popular [small] group shot, this time posing, looking dramatically into the sunset [lamp].

The First 3 members of Vanguard Squad, VII Company, Legio XX Alpha Legion:

gallery_47732_7984_4665581.jpg

Some of you may also notice I changed the company number yet again! :D I felt the previous was rather big, so I made it a bit smaller and decentralized it.

I'm gonna start assembly on the other fellas tonight, so hopefully I'll have some progress to report tomorrow! C&C welcome, as ever!

Like a shopoholic to a sale, I am drawn to this thread...

Your legionnaires are looking good, I have gotten my mk4 armours in the mail now and is just trying to gather info on colours. Always good to see some awesome examples out there(though mine are hopefully going to be a bit more on the purply side)!

Hydra Dominatus!

@Rob- Thanks man! Well, right now I'm taking it awfully slow, but hopefully being painted into a solid 1250 point army (using the SW dex', since I feel it best represents a legion [without going the FW book route]).

@Excessus- Cheers! Yeah mk IV is my favorite armour personally :lol: Stay sneaky my friend...

@Captain Semper- Haha thanks! In my defense, the pictures make the numerals look kind of funky :D That said, I am certainly giving decals more thought since several people have suggested it!

@Olisredan- Thanks mate! Unfortunately all I have is Umbra and Umbra Ferrox, but if I had some volkites you can bet I would name a squad Olisredan Squad! ;)

What with the New Year here approaching, I will be hard pressed to get too terribly much done today, but I'm gonna try to at least assemble another couple of fellas! Happy New Year all!

Howdy guys! Happy New Year to all! I did, amidst family and friend celebration, manage to get a couple of marines set for priming and paintin'! You'll have to forgive the ugly pictures:

gallery_47732_7984_404197.jpg

For this army, since I am using the SW 'dex, I will have GH squads. This particular squad is going to have 2 Plasma guns and a power weapon (have not decided on axe vs. sword yet, but probably sword). So the rather mundane process of painting bolter marines in this squad will be soon over! I also plan on having a communication marine in each squad, who will use the com head and backpack from the mk IV command set, along with other conversions. Anywho, all further ideas for marines are warmly welcomed! Thanks! :eek

Thanks for the replies guys!

@Demon2027- As a matter of fact I will be! I posted a photo of the mk IV command set (the crested helm and communication accessories) and plan on making/converting my first com guy/sergeant as the last 2 models of this 10 man squad ^_^

Small update for now; many of ya'll had said that the numbers could use some work on the shoulders, and having gone through a couple of changes, I decided to change them all to small, roman numeral VII in the lower corner of the pad. Now they all look like this guy's:

gallery_47732_7984_192615.jpg

I am hoping to make some progress on the current 2 astartes tonight! Updates then! All C&C encouraged! -_-

@Demon2027- As a matter of fact I will be! I posted a photo of the mk IV command set (the crested helm and communication accessories) and plan on making/converting my first com guy/sergeant as the last 2 models of this 10 man squad

Can't wait to see them. I'm afraid my Legionnaires may end up looking similar to yours, that paint scheme is just to good, and I think we are working from the same bits.

Cheers fellas! ;)

@Batu- You're too kind mate! :devil:

@Tellos05- Thanks man! Weathering, oddly, has been creeping further and further into my mind.

@Demon2027- Not a problem! I have always found the navy blue with a steel silver to be my favorite color scheme (hence my previous Crimson Fists and traitor AL works).

@Chaeron- Thanks for the kind words man!

Touching on the weathering idea, I am tempted to do so, but I am afraid of potentially ruining what [small] amount of work I have finished, not to mention fluff wise it may seem slightly funky; my VII Company is a complete drop pod list, and is supposed to be deploying on Isstvan V for the dropsite massacre, so it seems that since they are just entering the fray, their armour should be nice n' tidy. :P Any thoughts on this are extremely welcome!

If they are just arriving then you don't really need to weather them to much. I got the impression from the First Heretic that the 4 traitor legions had time to land and prepare their lines before the loyalists got to them. Even if your company are reinforcements coming in slightly later I doubly thier landing would have been too contested.

Archived