Shrineworld Garrison (what’s still legal??)

Kierdale

Nonsense! During the ETL did you not find us both leading the charge? :lol: A good Commissar leads by example and only follows with the bolt pistol when he must ;)

I can't wait to see this done, it already looks like it's going to be amazing! I've sometimes thought of doing my own diorama but I don't have the models or talent spare... something to aim for one day! :D Keep the pictures coming this is inspiring stuff to see! :tu:

My only worry is it almost looks as it your commisar is about to get splatted br the guys at his end of the firing line! looks like their eyeing him up as an 'accident'.

Thats looking like some mighty fine diorama though, cant wait to see more :)

Great work on that diorama, and especially the statue. What model did you use for that?

While I agree that commissars lead from the front, standing outside the trench where he is, he does look like he's about to "accidentally" get shot by the trooper at the end of the front row.

Don't worry, I positioned the guardsmen so they're not aiming at him that closely. They're just placed in position anyway, so I'll be careful when I unpack and place them all on the competition day.

And with the bugs that close I doubt the guardsmen have time to think about settling old grudges...

The statue was from the 54mm(?) Inquisitor game GW used to sell.

I do love a good diorama, they just tell a great story and are a handy opportunity for for cool conversions and alterations. Loving the blood effect by the way, I've often pondered making some Objectives up to use at the store during my games, a Guardsman Sergeant clutching a lost arm may make the cut! (hehe)

Keep us posted on this, I'm eager to see this display of Mordian grit and discipline!

Diorama progress.
Not sure why the photos have come out so bloody small:sad.: but I've got to hit the sack soon so there's no time for retakes.

There is an insane number of leaves on there now. Each individually glued in place. My room stinks of oregano!

The leaves make for a good way to cover up mistakes (such as bubbles in the river).

Also the bullrushes/cattails are made of paintbrush hairs topped with cinnamon. If the diorama doesn't win the competition I'll at least know it's the nicest smelling entry. :tongue.:

The river came out nicely. When I have the full thing done I'll take the time to get some better photos.

gallery_63428_8145_2568.jpggallery_63428_8145_13145.jpggallery_63428_8145_5986.jpggallery_63428_8145_15709.jpggallery_63428_8145_28075.jpgmed_gallery_63428_8145_4413.jpggallery_63428_8145_71984.jpg

The trench here looks a bit bare as it'll mainly be filled by the bases of the guardsmen, though in the far end I intend to stack some ammo crates, supplies...oh, and something else I quickly threw together...

gallery_63428_8145_15146.jpg

Excellent progress! To think I was pleased with my advance in basing just by sticking a Midlands Grass tuft on the water effect on my HWT base :laugh.: Maybe you can sneak some more favourable points ratings in with nice odours? Vanilla is nice I think :tongue.:

The little 2nd Edition rulebook is great too and it'll all look so much better once it gets the models on :biggrin.: You'll have to give us some good detail shots of the splattered 'nids when you get round to it, I've got the taste of dead enemies on my bases now and I want to expand it :smile.:

Excellent work. The random tufts of grass, the water and the overall layout all add up to a woot!. 

I just have to say that if you had mixed coffee with your water effect not only would it have got you extra points for the nice smell but would have made the stream look a little muddy too :biggrin.:

Thanks, all!

I'm a bit knackered after doing a big project like that, so I'm working on something relaxing and fun next. Shall I say more?

Neigh!

Great work, the attention to detail is once again fantastic! I like the classic 'stealer scheme too, though I'd probably have evacuated most of the head to really show the impact of a bolt shell! I don't do subtle :lol:

True, I could have made the bolt shot more 'realistic' with more gore and less head...but I didn't want to have to use that many eyebrow hairs! :D

Perhaps the warhead of the shot fired was a dud, but the rocket propellant took it through the back of the stealer's head anyway ;)

I love the attention to detail as mentioned and it is very fitting. Shame that the genestealers are too close to survive the onslaught.....

Also true!

Even with a blast from that flamer and a round of FRF,SRF I think the commissar is chow for sure! The squad too probably.

gallery_63428_8145_15146.jpg

How does one get mini pictures like that for the model? Tutorial maybe.

Btw that is the most epic commissar I have seen in a long time.

Exceedingly easy, to be honest:

I found the cover image via Google (easier than scanning my own copy), shrunk it via Paint and printed it out. I could do a tutorial on making small books but it's just wrapping the cover around a stack of small blank pieces.

Looks fantastic, the only thing I would say is the Commissar looks slightly out of place (and I don't mean his positioning) I mean his base, with the troopers you have them it what looks like a shallow trench/foxhole type of thing which is great. But, the Commissar looks like he was just plonked on top of the diorama as an after thought. In my opinion he needs to either sit flush with ground level, which may be difficult now its fully painted, or you could raise the ground up around him. You could go all out and do it with the guardsmen as well, but I don't think that's necessary.

Otherwise fantastic work and a best of luck!

Thanks for the comments.

That's a good point, Barbarov. Had I had more time it would have been best to cut areas for the guard bases.

The only real reason the bugs are not also on bases and the guards are is that the guards are an army I actually use while the bugs were bought for this project/for use as basing materials for my Emperor's Scythes.

I do hope to do a big display base for my Psychopomps and will 'sink' their bases in that.