Shrineworld Garrison (what’s still legal??)

Kierdale

What I've been working on since finishing the diorama:

Pardon the snapped-at-work photos!

Members of the Lord`s Own Lancers (or would `Dragoons` sound better than `Lancers`?)

gallery_63428_8145_26032.jpg

gallery_63428_8145_28994.jpggallery_63428_8145_10620.jpg

Playing polo with someone's head...

gallery_63428_8145_36233.jpggallery_63428_8145_34436.jpg

The four-barreled pistol is rather cool and since you get about four of them in the kit, I've cut one down to make a sawn-off shotgun for use on a model in the future.

med_gallery_63428_8145_19918.jpg

med_gallery_63428_8145_59938.jpg

And the sergeant with lance and `melta-bomb applicator`.

gallery_63428_8145_2646.jpg

Still some GS filling to do and basing of course, and then I'll undercoat them.

I do have another six (five regular and one...special) to do but rather than working on 11 cavalry (which'll feel more like 22 models!) at once I want to finish the first five. Perhaps I'll do another model before tackling the second squad. A character or vehicle. Either way the second squad will probably have two flamers rather than the first squad's two melta guns.

Dragons don't fight on horseback they just use horses to move from place-to-place but otherwise function as infantry so they're definitely lancers.

EDIT: they look awesome either way.

Edited by Nicodemus Dolorosus

It's bucketing down here so there goes the plan to spray on the undercoats tonight. :(

Just visited my two GWs:

Jimboucho to drop off the diorama and my Scythes (and their rhino) for their other painting comp (Space Marines).

(Link to their FB page with my diorama: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=682028035208388&substory_index=0&id=120622048015659)

Nakano to pick up some stuff for my Psychopomps.

...met the Asia manager while I was there (a nice bloke called Chris, based in the Shanghai store apparently) and found out that they're holding Armies on Parade this year here again...but it doesn't have to be 2'x2'. Smaller is okay.

Very tempting!!!

Edited by Kierdale

You might spend all your time on dioramas at this rate :P

After doing a lot of events so far this year, that's something I'm trying to avoid!

On the other hand it's so tempting as the army is already painted (but for the riders who is like to add) I'd just need to make the base. Wouldn't be too hard, I suppose...

Though the Parade Day is a Saturday and I woke Saturdays...

Might be able to get the day off...

Well , I took off a day for Golden Demon the last two years...it seems there won't be a GD here this year so instead AoP.

Hmmmm...still undecided. Might try some sketches or kitchen-tabletop-simulations of layouts.

On my way home after work now so hopefully I can get the riders basecoated.

I've been rereading Mike McVey's guide to painting horses (which, IIRC, I have you to thank for, WarriorFish). :)

Edited by Kierdale

I know bits about painting horses from my sister, but don't remember sending that pdf! Was it part of the pdf cache I uploaded that time? I'd love to get round to making my own RRs one day once I have less on my plate :) I'm hoping that since we have so many kits that they'll be part of the next update - maybe with cool stuff like extra options like carapace... whoops, who put that soapbox there? :lol:

Victoria lamb has a kit for it too, legs to go with cadian bodies and empire psitoleer horses.  I've been tempted for a while now...

EDIT: 'ere's da link: http://victoriaminiatures.highwire.com/product/rough-rider-legs-x5

Edited by Cap'm Heckus

• 2 weeks later...

I have been working on the rough riders at work, snip

You must have a very understanding boss

Maybe he is as impressed with your modelling skills as I am ;)

I have been working on the rough riders at work, snip

You must have a very understanding boss

Maybe he is as impressed with your modelling skills as I am ;)

Flattery will get you everywhere.

I paint/model in my lunch hour. Scoff my bento in about ten minutes and the rest is spent painting horses recently.

I think I started modelling at work a bit over a year ago and at first got a lot of people looking over my shoulder and asking what I was doing, but everyone's been cool with it. Even had the GM compliment my work.

Once the horses are done (probably Tuesday or Wednesday next week) I'll snap some photos of them and get onto the riders.

After doing this squad I think I'll do either a character (one of my two primaris psykers, my enginseer -might put an LED in him-, or an =][=) or open up my Wyvern!

Plenty for us to look forward to! I'd go for the Enginseer first, then the Wyvern. It'd a fun kit that I enjoyed for the ETL once I'd figured it all out - different from all the others :)

I'd had to put my painting at work on hold for the moment, maybe when things improve I can worm it in somehow...

Yeah, you can get a lot of painting done just by doing 45 minutes or so every lunch break.

Fortunately I'm self employed so I can paint as much as I want (so long as I'm willing to lose out on the billable hours) but even if I go back to working for the man, lunch breaks are usually not an issue. It is your break after all and you can do what you want with it. Just don't play with your toy soldiers when you're supposed to be working :wink:

I thought I'd redo the weathering on my Medusa and give it some Typhus Corrosion and weathering powders last night.

Not quite a tutorial, but I took a fair few photos of what I did.

First up, the original weathering: just Boltgun sponged on, and it looks like I gave the tank a dusting with weathering powders at the time (a year or two ago).

gallery_63428_8145_1578.jpggallery_63428_8145_31706.jpggallery_63428_8145_1144.jpg

Then sponged on some Mechanicus Standard Grey and with a fine brush added Leadbelcher within those chips.

gallery_63428_8145_11925.jpggallery_63428_8145_10357.jpg

Note the crewman lost his head. Intentional, as I plan to give him a new one. :)

Then came the Typhus Corrosion. Put on heavily. At the bottom I pretty much lathered it on, while at the top I put a bit on the bolts then smeared it downwards with my fingers.

gallery_63428_8145_38502.jpg

Here on the underside of the rear door I put a lot on, then with my fingers wiped it off from raised areas.

gallery_63428_8145_32596.jpg

gallery_63428_8145_14362.jpggallery_63428_8145_23711.jpg

gallery_63428_8145_6049.jpggallery_63428_8145_363.jpg

Also, with a finer brush, did some streaks down from rivets and the hooks holding tools onto the side. Drew it downwards with the brush, then smeared the end away with my finger. I tried some Ryza Rust (you can see on the right photo above, on the petrol-cap like bit under the gold Aquila) but it comes out rather bright for my tastes. Has anyone tried an Agrax shade on it to tone it down?

I do have some Rust weathering powder somewhere. That's darker. Will have to try that sometime. Easier to apply a powder into a crevice too.

Then started with my Tamiya weathering powders. Mud and Sand (the latter simply to add a lighter shade).

gallery_63428_8145_27267.jpggallery_63428_8145_3976.jpg

Finally, though I'd put a lot of powder on I've never had a problem with it coming off, but as a further experiment I borrowed some of the missus' hairspray as an easy way to seal it on.

gallery_63428_8145_21478.jpggallery_63428_8145_45937.jpg

gallery_63428_8145_28101.jpggallery_63428_8145_18512.jpg

gallery_63428_8145_55436.jpggallery_63428_8145_56557.jpg

Still need to redo the vision blocks (I prefer a deep red now rather than blue).

I think if I'd left the dirty at Typhus Corrosion it would have looked like fresh mud.

With the Mud weathering powder it looked like dry mud caked on.

Adding some of the Sand powder made it look very dirty, but also quite dry.

If I have time tonight I may have a go at adding more Typhus on top to reflect fresh dirt, leaving the dryer powders showing in places. Will then take some decent photos with a plain background. Either way it was a good bit of experimenting.

Also at the weekend I picked up some brush cleaning fluid at my local craft shop (Yuzawaya). The bottle said soaking brushes in it overnight would remove any paint type, no matter how old.

A bold claim.

I set up six of my brushes in a low tray, Blu-tacked so the tips wouldn't get bent but would be submerged and left them overnight...

My larger, older brushes and my drybrush didn't come out gleaming, but it did a good job on them. My two finest brushes -my most expensive brushes, naturally- we're cleaned a treat! :D

Very satisfied.

Really should have taken some before/after photos! Sorry!

Then again I'm not sure I want you knowing how I abuse my brushes.

Edited by Kierdale