Shrineworld Garrison (what’s still legal??)

Kierdale

And...they're done!

gallery_63428_8145_14939.jpg

Sergeant

gallery_63428_8145_49061.jpggallery_63428_8145_7976.jpg

gallery_63428_8145_10843.jpgmed_gallery_63428_8145_6561.jpg

Melta bomb probably would have been better quartered yellow/black, but nevermind.

Polo player.

gallery_63428_8145_30033.jpggallery_63428_8145_19238.jpg

Melta gunner 1.

gallery_63428_8145_25557.jpg

Lancer.

gallery_63428_8145_11935.jpggallery_63428_8145_7662.jpg

Melta gunner 2.

gallery_63428_8145_24681.jpggallery_63428_8145_49911.jpg

While I will be doing another squad to go alongside this one, if I ever did some as non-Kierdale's Worlders...straight Cadians, for example...I'd consider combining the Empire Pistoliers kit with a Cadian infantry squad. I think you could sand down the detail on -for example- the outrider legs to make the thigh plates flat like Cadian flak armour, perhaps use Cadian torsos and helmets. The cloaks could be done up camo very nicely indeed.

Anyway, time to get to work on an Inquisitor...

Aha, I was waiting for these. I spied them in your gallery before you posted ;) Excellent stuff as ever, the details all turned out great like the melta gunner's holstered pistol and the little aquilas :) I think the sergeant came out brilliantly, his cloak and the meltabomb especially :D

I can't wait to see your Inquisitor, will you be modding him up much or will he be an off worlder?

Thanks, WarriorFish, Vash.

One reason for using the given bases was simply cost (a few hundred yen spent on biker bases is money not spent on other models/paints) and secondly how often I expect to actually use the squad: not so often! So those bases will suffice.

The inquisitor will be based on the WHFB Empire Witch Hunter. How much I sci-fi him will depend on my bitz box and how everything goes together. The general look of the mini is undeniably 'Kierdale's Shrineworld-ish', though I'm tempted to base him on something similar to the Necromunda guardsman I did a while back: metal grill and pipes, techy. Likewise I might paint him with inks and a heavy Agrax wash for a different look (that might push me to make a bit of a =][= warband too in the future). Experimenting with another paint scheme/technique is a nice change.

I'll be taking the Inquisitor model to work tomorrow to get started on him, along with my box of scions to dip into for bitz. Some of their own parts might get cleaned and prepped if I have time (unlikely!).

Well, I'll try to squeeze the riders into some games when I am playing again. Merely putting them on the board will probably surprise am opponent. :)

Marshal Argos, it's good to see you over here!

Please do post your riders! There are far too few people making them, which is a shame as they can be such a characterful unit.

The capes really do help. The Empire Outriders is a fantastic box.

Thanks, NightHunters. I'd love to get more riders in the future.

I wonder how they'd fare in a Kill Team game?

It seems the =][='s modelling challenge is for a henchman, so I'll be putting my Inquisitor back in the cupboard for a while and getting started on my second Russ instead.

Hope to:

1. Make all weapons swappable.

2. Make it so Pask and my 'drive me closer...' commander can go in the turret (not at once!)

3. Make it so the Empire Great Cannon I received last year can be a counts-as-Vanquisher (or standard Russ) barrel.

and perhaps

4. Make a crewmen/servant to sit on the outside. I have some spare kneeling Cadian legs. Perhaps GS a breastplate onto him a-la my plasma command squad. Make him a standard bearer, piper or drummer (crazy as he'd be drowned out by the tank's engine noise, but that matters little) or just along for the rider...?

Sadly I don't think they will be good in Kill Team, combat isn't that viable I don't think and running around as single model units with T3 and a 5+ isn't great :(

I like the sound of your Russ, seems like it'll be a great tutorial for my magnetised Pask for Big Guns ;)

On my way to (Armies on) Parade Day now.

I plan to enter my Psychopomps next year, so I'm interested to see how everyone else's entries are.

Will post photos later (with a busy weekend ahead it'll likely be much later).

I got the Russ's hull put together and all the sponson weapons cleaned of mould lines and barrels drilled. Sponsons built. Next will be magnetising them and the side hull plates they attach into.

I'm tempted to have the rearmost of the two hatches on one side open and put some detail in there for fun. No sensible train it would be open during combat. Perhaps knocked open by a glancing hit ;)

I managed to visit both Parade Days in Japan (GW Nakano store and GW Jimboucho, 4 entries at each) on the same day. Purely by chance the entries at Nakano were all true armies on parade, while those at Jimboucho (including my guardsmen-and-commissar versus bugs) were all smaller dioramas (all around a foot square).
I've added all the photos to my Flickr account in albums:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/74708217@N03/sets/

Results:
Nakano
Gold - Grey Knights
Silver - Undead
Bronze - Lizardmen

Nothing - Chaos

Jimboucho
Gold - Cadian guardsmen
Silver - High elves
Bronze - Fantasy tower

Nothing - Me! :sad.:

I entered my diorama after having entered it in Jimboucho's 'Battlefield Plot' event back in September and, not being able to get to the store so often, left it in the store between the two events. I went on the day not expecting to come home with a medal and so shouldn't be disappointed to return exactly so, but arriving to find only the staff's fantasy tower and an acquaintance's entry (the Cadians) I at first thought both:
A. Only three entries including mine? Nice one!
B. Only three entries including mine? Will they even hold the event next year??
A fourth entry (the high elves) showed up late and borrowed some of my acquaintance's superglue to stick their entry together. Blu Tac too.
The elves themselves were nicely painted, yes, but that it when on to win silver is just...confusing. Baseboard partially unpainted. Caked in dry glue. Blu Tac showing.

The staff said that, with my entry having been in the store's display cabinet for a couple of months, everyone had already seen it.

Ah well. Next year!

Work is coming along well on the Russ. Opened one hatch and have a piston and spring visible. I should be able to get the side panels glued to the hull tomorrow and start thinking about the turret. There'll be photos when there's something worth showing.

I think you exhausted the impressions by having it already on view so it wasn't anything new to people, something to consider for next time!

Indeed. Next year's entry won't be entered into any other competitions beforehand. Not even piecemeal.

In IG news:

Work is coming along well on the Leman Russ!

Sponsons magnetised.

Dozer blade detachable (via a pin rather than magnets).

Main weapons magnetised.

Turret halves magnetised...which I just realised was completed unnecessary so I'll be digging those magnets out of their beds of superglue tomorrow! :D

I wanted to have my commander miniature...

gallery_63428_8145_34723.jpggallery_63428_8145_25992.jpgmed_gallery_63428_8145_39240.jpg

...as an optional tank commander (for when his arthritis plays up) hence I didn't glue him at the waist and instead double-pinned him, however even with a new abdomen and a bit of leg to raise him out of the hatch, that big coat gets in the way.

So I made a new tank commander!

And the option for he or Pask to fit in the hatch.

I think the new one is sufficiently 'Kierdale's Worldy'...in fact he's got me thinking that my metal Pask isn't very 'Kierdale's Worldy'... might have to see about converting my Pask. Might be difficult to remove the head...

As you've noticed: no photos yet. I will post some tomorrow or the next day.

One point I'm looking for advice on is the turret shield I've made but not yet attached (Panzer-style wrap around job). How to attach it...whether to make it removable...and if it would actually fit my theme or not...with it I don't have space for any crew standing on the track guards...

Must get off to bed now though!

That's a great idea, I thought about it but I wanted to have separate characters for company and tank commanders :) Your commander looks good I expect him to lead the garrison in to many victories!

I'm looking forward to the pictures too, might be the boot up the backside I need to get started on my Pask...

First things First.  I really like the new Commander.  Is the jacket Green Stuff? and if not, where did you pick it.  I'm been looking for something along those lines.        

But still, for some reason he really reminds of this guy.  

http://georgesjournal.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/flash_gordon_brian_blessed.jpg

And yes, I know the film, and yes as a Kid I thought it was pretty cool.

Painting competitions are a funny thing. I find that there's a lot of cronyism, meaning if you aren't in the circle of those who hang out at the store, you're a nobody even if you're entry is top notch (like your diorama was). Especially when most of the voting is peer based. Your Nid/ Guard Diorama is Aces, and should have placed near the top. 

Those Riders, and your army as a whole, look fantastic!

Keep up the great work!

our_baz, just practice, practice, practice, and steal others' ideas/read people's tutorials. I'm not that good and some of these models have been done in a hurry, though having painting competitions to enter does encourage me to take more time over potential entries. Thankfully my two local GWs (okay, the only two GW in the country!) have lots of painting comps.

Marshal Argos, I love that film! Damn, now I really want to watch it again.

I'm not too keen on calling that commander 'Brian'...it brought to mind the following image:

Dark Eldar confront Kierdale's World garrison before combat. Xenos leader steps forward and speaks in broken Imperial Gothic through tattered lips.

"Where is your commander? Who is 'Brian'?"

Commander steps forth, "I'm Brian."

Bodyguard steps forth, "No, I'm Brian!"

Infantryman steps forth, "I'm Brian!"

Rough rider sergeant steps forth, "I'm Brian, and so's my horse!"

...so I'll go with The Blessed lord commander Kierdale.

I'll also give him a hearty laugh when I win, and try to do his voice should I make any challenges.

Does that satisfy?

I'm not sure my last message was clear (as I wrote it before heading off to bed) but that mini isn't the new tank commander (though I initially intended him to be), it's one I completed for this year's ETL. The coat (in fact much of the mini) is from the Empire Pistoliers/Outriders kit. A fantastic box of bitz!

The new tank commander will be posted tonight. Made of bitz from four kits, I think...

Here she is so far:
gallery_63428_8145_5426.jpg

Open panel on the right. Spring and piston (barely) visible.
gallery_63428_8145_25840.jpg

HK rail atop left sponson (missile removable).
gallery_63428_8145_25144.jpg

New tank commander :wink:
A mix of the Mordian and Empire look. Can't really see it in any of these photos but he does have a skull-decorated shoulder pad on his left side.
gallery_63428_8145_8307.jpggallery_63428_8145_17266.jpg
Prayer parchment wrapped around sword.

Turret main weapon magnet. Small but strong.
gallery_63428_8145_6026.jpg

Sponson magnets encased in alien excretion epoxy resin. Overly large! Similar ones are inside the hull. Weapons simply slot in.
gallery_63428_8145_18695.jpg

Executioner.
gallery_63428_8145_3075.jpg

Demolisher and view of the hatch. The inside of the hatch will be painted black. There are three holes (one used by both commanders) so I can put in Pask or the above new commander (as their poses are quite different).
gallery_63428_8145_10864.jpg

Pask in his Punisher.
gallery_63428_8145_10332.jpg

And lastly the should-I-do-it-shouldn't-I-do-it-? armour. The more I look at it, the more I'm inclined to say `no`.
med_gallery_63428_8145_102537.jpg

Still to do:
add rungs up side of tank. Add stowage (boxes, bags, petrol tanks, etc.)

Not sure whether to keep the telescope you can see in the earlier photos too.

Any thoughts?

I agree, the skirting is a no as the model has plenty of cool bits on and this would detract from that. Both tank and commander look good (not a fan of the official Pask model though), just needs some paint on it now! :biggrin.:

No game this weekend, so I am going to start work on my Pask Saturday. I plan to try and magnetise every Russ variant which will be interesting. I've been planning this model for ages so with all the awesome models people are doing I've got no excuses! I might be stealing your removable commander idea too :tongue.: