Shrineworld Garrison (what’s still legal??)

Kierdale

Great job on the weathering, not too much and not too little. :)

For cleaning brushes of that stubborn paint I tend to use brennspiritus (alcohol normally used in those fake fires) then clean again with mild soap. They only need a short soak for about 5 min or so.

Cool, I'll be sure tor reference this when I attack my Chimera's weathering again this weekend :D Perhaps if it goes well I might even face down the ever growing peril of returning to old tanks to upgrade the paint job? :lol:

It would be nice to get all one's tanks done and then weather them all at the same time, wouldn't it?

But then again, one never finishes collecting tanks...

I did finish the rough rider's horses today and will try to post the photos tonight.

Tomorrow I start on the riders!

Well, the horsies are done....though the quickly snapped shots at work aren't complimentary...

gallery_63428_8145_34348.jpg

The leftmost and next one are actually more different in hue. The beige-maned one is far darker than the light grey one. And the three brown ones are all different shades of brown. I did all five with different paint/shading combinations as an experiment.

Once the riders are also done, I'll do some quality photos.

The highlights on the saddlecloths are rough but they'll be under the riders' legs so I don't mind so much.

gallery_63428_8145_9678.jpg

gallery_63428_8145_24271.jpg

gallery_63428_8145_8046.jpg

gallery_63428_8145_4461.jpg

And my favourite of the five:

gallery_63428_8145_25527.jpgmed_gallery_63428_8145_24470.jpgmed_gallery_63428_8145_25425.jpg

When I do get around to doing the next five (not for a while! No more horses for quite a while!!) I think I'll mix up the left and right horse sides for some new poses.

It was around a month ago now I submitted my diorama to GW Jimboucho for the Battlefield Plot event. The event finished on 9/7 - unfortunately I couldn't go on the day - and it seems there was only my entry and that of the one staff. No mention of the event on their FB that day or since :(

I sent them a message asking about it and he just confirmed that the event had finished. Looks to me like it wasn't so popular so it was just brushed under the carpet.

He did mention that Armies on Parade doesn't have to be a 2'x2' area this year, so I asked if I can simply submit my diorama...he said t should be okay.

So, it looks like I unintentionally made an AoP entry :)

Will be able to go on the day (10/25), and will take photos. There were six entries last year (including two staff ones).

Rough riders are coming along nicely though it'll still be a week or two before they're done.

A shame about the competition, it's a real bummer to realise you've put in all that work and few others did, but hey, at least you smashed the competition in that case!

Good luck in the Armies On Parade contest, though I'm sure you won't need it!

Just a quick WIP of the riders.

gallery_63428_8145_18759.jpg

My scourge-commissar, 1kSons dreadnought and plasma command squad (plus standard bearer and master of ordnance) are in GW Nakano's Autumn painting competition. Entries closed yesterday and there were a lot this time so the staff's taking longer to choose the winners. I don't expect to win the Unit entry (I wanted to enter the riders, but couldn't finish them in time, so threw the command squad in). There's a great River Troll unit which will probably win that category. The Large category will probably go to a fantastic Nagash....so fingers crossed for my commissar as there are only three other minis in the Single Category this time!

Only four entries for GW Jimboucho's Space Marine painting competition (my Scythes being one). It's decided by public voting through this week. Fingers crossed!

After finishing the riders I've decided to get my Russ ready. ;)

Good luck! If there's one thing we know you can bet on it's a Commissar ;)

The Rough Riders look fantastic, a shame you couldn't get them ready as they'd stand out from the crowd. I'll get round to making my own one day when I get some decent free time and less of a backlog. Or maybe GW might release some models before then, to be delivered by flying pig... :P

Thanks!

Yes, it would be nice to have some proper RR models again.

Got the greens finished on them all today. Just browns (leather, wood) and metallics (weapons, styrups) to do and they'll be completed!

Am wondering what colour to do the hunting lance power cables. I will not be doing black and yellow stripes, that's for sure! 'Twould be a nightmare!

Edited by Kierdale

No photographic update, but they're coming along.

Greens are gone, skin's done. `Steel`ish metal is done. Just woodwork, melta barrels, pistols, lance tips and various decorations still to do...which will probably take me over a week's worth of lunchtimes.

I'm leaning toward a dark red for the power cables. The rider sergeant will have some yellow on him to designate him as the unit commander...and blue is my support colour (sure, I could do a light blue instead...but that doesn't feel right).

Did see a couple of potential future purchases in my hobby shop:

med_gallery_63428_8145_61437.jpg

Metal primer. Specifies white metal, even. Under 500 yen, too. Will pick some up if when I get some more Mordians.

med_gallery_63428_8145_59656.jpg

Oxide Red basecoat! Again, under 500 yen.

• 2 weeks later...

Nearly done...nearly done!

Just need to do:
stones on bases.
Black edges of bases.
Melta bomb in the barrel of sergeant's `applicator`.
Parchment of purity seals.
Touch up green on capes and boots.

Fur of sergeant's coat.

gallery_63428_8145_15839.jpg

gallery_63428_8145_35801.jpggallery_63428_8145_40501.jpg

After they're done I'll either get started on constructing my second Russ...or perhaps start converting up an inquisitor as a short break and a bit of fun.

Great work Kier.. My favourite is the firing melta gunner as the pose is fantastic but I can't help but feel sorry for the horse... Anyone for crispy horse ear?? :)

Thanks!

Yes, the melta-gunner who's actually shooting is my favourite too. I thought about having him shooting off to a side but, since the rest are (but for the polo-player) charging and looking forwards, I thought it best to have him shooting forwards.

When I do get around to doing the second squad (with six members. One will be...special) I'm going to give them flamers and have them shooting off to one side.

But that'll be after a Russ, inquisitor, enginseer, scions...

Must build a special storage box for the riders. What with a polo mallet sticking out one side, lances here and there and flimsy feathers (which do admittedly look like leaves!) they're not easy to pack.

Oh, they'll get done eventually. I have the models already.

Boxes in the cupboard:

Russ (demolisher box)

Wyvern

Scions

Enginseer

Six more rough riders

Shotgun veterans to finish

Valkyrie/Vendetta full of LEDs

Should have the riders finished this Saturday. If not then perhaps I'll take them home to finish there (cutting into my CoC VII brush time).