Impressive! Both quality and quantity :smile.: Have to admit I'm quite jealous, because after an initial boost my lockdown painting output has become the same as ever.

Thanks! It suffered a little once I rediscovered my PS4, but after the initial bout of gaming I'm portioning my time better and getting a couple of hours a night in front of netflix.

Good job on the Librarian and the LT.

Thanks Bjorn!

Finished off some Termagants last night so got started on the plasma cannon dev squad, currently touched up the red primer and getting the base colours down.

gallery_58096_16375_251734.jpg

Edited by Xenith

More progress on the Dev's last night, all red and black is done, just need to get the metals in

gallery_58096_16375_126783.jpg

And a little blast from the past that some might enjoy, now I'm back in the UK I have all my old paint stuff to hand, including my fine detail brushes, two of which are these:

gallery_58096_11765_54909.jpg

That red brush is an old school GW one from ~2000 when they were actually made with sable and were *really* high quality. I think W&N may have actually made them. 20 years of hobby and it's still going strong, more a relic now than anything. The blue one is from ~2004/5 maybe and still decent. You can see the change in nomenclature between the two generations of brush.

gallery_58096_11765_81680.jpg

The Red brush unbelievably still has a point after 2 decades of (ab)use.

gallery_58096_11765_120510.jpg

I just thought I'd put these up to share some history with you, but also draw vague attention to to poor quality of GW's current line of detail brushes. I dont know what it is but these things seem to die after ~6weeks. Fine detail ones split and I get 2 points, med base brushes are a super useful size, but turn into christmas trees after 2 months. For that reason I've been using army painter regiment and character brushes for most of my work, and switching up to a Windsor and Newton series 7 00 gague for the detail work.

I also did a thing and ordered this from ebay:

s-l1600.jpg

I love the old school and this was a steal at Edited by Xenith

Got my order for Indomitus in, as well as Chapter Approved 2020, and the new runelord brass base paint and tesseract glow  - these look fun to use and give me some nice alternate metal colours.

I'm on the fence about ordering another indomitus. I'd ideally like another 3 bikers and a second assault squad, but then have to go to the trouble of getting rid of the rest. However Ebay sellers are probably charging half the price of the box for those two units alone... Might just have to wait until a multipart kit release. 

Looking good Xenith! Silver death mask is something new. I like it.

Got my indomitus box, too. Still two weeks till we get it though. In the end I decided for me, that 10 assault intercessors and one bikesquad is enough. I mean, stuff is going up in points and there are many cool BA specific things I want to squeeze into my lists.

Looking good Xenith! Silver death mask is something new. I like it.

Got my indomitus box, too. Still two weeks till we get it though. In the end I decided for me, that 10 assault intercessors and one bikesquad is enough. I mean, stuff is going up in points and there are many cool BA specific things I want to squeeze into my lists.

Thanks! I did one on this guy also and I quite like it:

gallery_58096_11797_251962.jpg

My thinking is also that while death masks are prevalent in the chapter (any character I think could have one in 3rd ed), gold is still reserved for the highest echelons of the chapter. This sergeant of a plasma gunner squad unsurprisingly got his face burned off, so has an iron mask in place of his ruined features.

Agrre on Indomitus. I have a habit of buying multiple starter boxes and never painting them - I'm still working on models from Assault on Black Reach, which I think was 4th edition? I bought 2 and swapped the orks for more marines so ended up with 40 monopose tacticals which I have zero desire to paint right now...but also 4 dreadnoughts which I do! I think I'll just stick with one box, paint them up, and wait for multipart bikers.

Edited by Xenith

I've seen that over the weekend my thread has hit 100,000 views on B&C, which is pretty awesome, thanks all for joining me on this journey into collecting the chapter company.

More progress on the Devs - getting all the base colours done and now done the shading and working on the plasma - they're more than TT ready at the moment, I'm going to base them soon and glue the guns on.

A lot of my time has been sucked into doing this plasma effect - I'm trying to go for a blue-white hot plasma glow but not quite getting there - maybe it needs the OSL effect to make it pop? Either way, I think I'm hitting my skill ceiling - I can blend and do plasma, but combining blending with OSL seems too much - if anyone has any good tutorials for plasma glow I'd appreciate a link!

gallery_58096_16375_203373.jpg

gallery_58096_16375_40452.jpg

gallery_58096_16375_24277.jpg

Edited by Xenith

That's a great plasma glow already! I think I've seen someone here on the B&C using the same method to great effect - if I remember correctly, the top of the plasma coils were quite dark in contrast to the bottom glow - I'd give you a name, if I could remember. I think "Grimdark" was in the thread title!

Great to see the squad coming together nicely, keep going!

That's a great plasma glow already! I think I've seen someone here on the B&C using the same method to great effect - if I remember correctly, the top of the plasma coils were quite dark in contrast to the bottom glow - I'd give you a name, if I could remember. I think "Grimdark" was in the thread title!

Thanks! Yes, I think that was @neonmole's BAngles - I'm not quite at that level yet, and the plasma cannon coils are too fine for me to paint darker individually, but it's getting there.

Thanks! Yes, I think that was @neonmole's BAngles - I'm not quite at that level yet, and the plasma cannon coils are too fine for me to paint darker individually, but it's getting there.

Yes, that's the one!

Just keep trying, eventually you'll get there. Ive been toying with that plasma coil effect as well, but I don't have a repulsor to try it out on. :D

The plasmagun and the death mask-wearing Marine are well-painted.

Thanks Bjorn!

Quick update, this squad is nearly done!

Squad unit markings are done, and some heraldry on the opposite knee/greave, and the odd other marking or script here and there. I

gallery_58096_16375_6326.jpg

gallery_58096_16375_17076.jpg

gallery_58096_16375_32235.jpg

gallery_58096_16375_40166.jpg

I tried to emulate the Ultramarines 9th co banner with the sergeant's banner, namely the big stylised explosion. I think it came out ok, and a bit of latin/high gothic googling gave me the motto 'Omni set unum' (everything but a one), which is appropriate for the unit.

UltraBanner9.jpggallery_58096_16375_73823.jpg

Edited by Xenith

Great progress! 

LOVE the Eviscerators!! Yesss :D
Banner is great as well. I really like how you add different colours and bits to your models!

I see what you mean with the plasma. It's a high standard technique you're trying to replicate, so don't be too hard on yourself. Gotta practice and experimet. I'd say the white area is too broad perhaps. But I'm in no way expert and still haven't attempted this kind of effect myself.

What does the motto "Everything but a one" mean? Kill all enemies EXCEPT one, who will then pass a message to his/her compatriots about what the Blood Angels will do to them, to demoralize enemies of the Imperium? (I'm taking inspiration from the Basterds.) That no matter the enemy numbers, the Angels will face them as if they were one, showing no fear of enemy numerical superiority and/or confidence in the Angel's ability to defeat them all?

Great progress! 

LOVE the Eviscerators!! Yesss :biggrin.:

Banner is great as well. I really like how you add different colours and bits to your models!

I see what you mean with the plasma. It's a high standard technique you're trying to replicate, so don't be too hard on yourself. Gotta practice and experimet. I'd say the white area is too broad perhaps. But I'm in no way expert and still haven't attempted this kind of effect myself.

Thanks! I wasnt too sure on the un-uniformity of them, and was considering replacing the blades with shorter more marine likes ones.

What does the motto "Everything but a one" mean? Kill all enemies EXCEPT one, who will then pass a message to his/her compatriots about what the Blood Angels will do to them, to demoralize enemies of the Imperium? (I'm taking inspiration from the Basterds.) That no matter the enemy numbers, the Angels will face them as if they were one, showing no fear of enemy numerical superiority and/or confidence in the Angel's ability to defeat them all?

"Anything but a one" is a hymn of luck chanted when firing any plasma weapon on overcharge - they'll need it with 4 plasma cannons in the unit!

That banner is great for such a small canvas. Well done!

Thanks! It's a little fiddly nd not perfect, but you get the idea from a distance. Needs a little tidying, maybe some yellow in the blast, then calling it done!

Banner looks great mate, also loving the the motto used - that’s class :biggrin.::biggrin.:

Thanks! Very fitting as I'll be saying it every time they shoot!

gallery_58096_7522_859429.jpeg

Finished (56 66 models)

Blood Angels (23 33 models)

1x Phobos Librarian

1x Phobos Lt

5x Incursors

5x Infiltrators

5x Reivers

5x Vanguard Vets

1x Intercessor

10x Tactical Marines

Chaos (25 models)

5x Scarab Occult Terminators

20x Chaos Cultists

Tyranids (8models)

8x Termagants with Devourers

Undercoated

1x Land Raider Crusader

1x Stalker tank

1x Rhino Primaris

1x Megatrakk Scrapjet

1x Broodlord

5x Assault Marines

When I made this tally, I totally forgot about the 10 tactical marines I did early into lockdown - they hadn't been based, so they were in the case. I'm remedying that and the tactical and devastators have their stirland battlemire drying overnight. Overall pretty happy with the progress on the company - I just need to make another 10 tactical marines and a missile launcher dude then I'm done!

15 Marines getting based

gallery_58096_16375_538819.jpg

Edited by Xenith

Finally got my tac marines based and drybrushed, along with the Devs, big achievement! This style of basing is a pain/fiddle, and I'll definitely be going with sector imperialis bases where I can with my Primaris and Nids. Chaos are still on the texture style bases, and I dont think Iron Warriors will go to well with metal imperialis bases, so I need to think of something there.

EDIT:

Plasma Cannoneers finally battle ready. They still need some highlights, but these can come later.

gallery_58096_16375_22074.jpg

Plasma glow

gallery_58096_16375_103227.jpg

Gunner

gallery_58096_16375_65088.jpg

Sergeant Plutaxo

gallery_58096_16375_54948.jpg

gallery_58096_16375_88422.jpg

And the tactical squad is now all based and done to a similar level as the dev squad - just missing highlights.

gallery_58096_15988_28065.jpg

Sergeant Santurini and combat squad leader [unnamed] with combi plas for when they split into two units.

gallery_58096_15988_45424.jpg

Lucky '7' on Brother Asher's knee pad. Needs a tidy up, then pen smudged.

gallery_58096_15988_86447.jpg

Edited by Xenith

• 2 weeks later...

Woop, I've finally picked up my copy from my local GW. I've already poked through the box, and my original plan of ditching the necrons might fall by the wayside, they're so pretty!

Lots of plans for the marines also. I'm thinking Angels Sanguine for the Bladeguard, and Flesh Eaters for the bikes. Assault marines will my 5/5 Death company and FT'sor F/E's.

gallery_58096_11765_138354.jpg

In non-marine news, I've been working on a Scrapjet to go with my Shokkjump Dragsta, part of my fledgeling Bad Moons Speedmob.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/354323-xeniths-bad-moons-speed-freekz-scrapjet/

The Scrapjet is one of a few kits of 'gift' warhammer that have languished unpainted for too long, and I'm trying to do before I really get back into the marines.

Gifts to paint:

Red Gobbo XMas edition

Noise Marine

Tyranid Harpy/Hive Crone

Be'Lakor

BroodLord

Mephiston Primaris.

Most of these are single models, but I'd like to take my time on them and do them well.

Edited by Xenith