Today in the hobby I....

Aegnor

TITH, I managed to save 10 Intercessors and a Lieutenant from some bad varnishing.

I used AK Interactive's Ultra Matt as I'd heard great things about it, and damn, is that stuff matt. It's too matt to be honest, it really dulled down the dark blue on my Crimson Fists. I'm not sure if dulled is the right word even, it made them almost a pastel colour. It killed the highlights too. I'd started a new squad recently that obviously hadn't been varnished yet and was comparing the armour colour and they looked like they'd been painted with totally different shades of blue.

After spending all day researching, as I really didn't want to spend another two weeks painting the squad, I sprayed a very thin coat of Lahmian medium over the top, let that fully dry and re-varnished with some Vallejo Satin which thankfully brought the colour back to the rich dark blue it originally was. Maybe I went too hard with the AK Ultra Matt or sprayed it wrong or something, but it had a really noticeable effect on the final paint job.

Still, they're fixed and I'm sticking to Vallejo Satin from now on!

TITH I did Intercessor squad three's kneepad numerals, plus loads of tilting shield details (script, crosses, VII, etc), plus did some work on my Ancient's banner. WIP shots on my IG, fancy shots to come when the whole-army polish and detail pass (what the Great Rebasing has morphed into) is complete.

TITH I played my first game of 40k in 2 months or so.  A friend visited from Utah and borrowed some of my Night Lords to make up a 1k list.  We played 2v2 Imperium vs Chaos 2000 pts with City Fight rules and a simple Dawn of War deployment.  I forget what the real name of the mission is but we played it off the top of our heads; six objectives and you roll to see if it's the "real" objective + First Strike + Line Breaker + Slay the Warlord.

By round four the entire 1k Leman Russ parking lot my teamate brought was gone, my visiting friend had only a Termi Sorcerer Lord and an Obliterater left from the Night Lords, and my other friend playing Iron Warriors was down to the remnants of a CSM squad plus five raptors split between two squads  I was playing Imperial Fists and still had a Land Raider Excelsior, Rhino Primaris, and two scout squads that were down to four men.  We finished round five with the only models left on the table being my tanks and seven scouts as one had died in combat after charging the Raptors to get them the hell off the objective.

For the majority of the game, sitting on top of a Sector Mechanicus gantry, was a Scout with Goliath head carrying a Heavy Bolter that I had jokingly called Mac Tundrish because the 40k Badcast has made it impossible for me to forget that Space Marine by Ian Watson exists.  With Height advantage, Blood in the Streets, Plunging Fire, the Devastator Doctrine, and exploding sixes on bolt weapons he was responsible for the deaths of both the CSM Lord on Bike and Terminator Sorcerer and several CSM besides.  I believe I owe it to him to move him up the paint queue and finish him beyond the yellow primer he's been sporting for six months.

Another quick update folks! :happy.:

My Wraithguard unit is assembled and base coated for a painting session this weekend at some point. Work been very hectic for the last week so I'm probably around 2 days behind schedule for the 9 weeks that I've got. :down:

But I should be able to catch up!

Anyway, Wraithguard unit below. I went for D-Cannons because although the axe/sword combo visually looks amazing, and the twin swords are more competitive I think, the guns are their classic look. Though I did alter this with the addition of the close combat helm fins as frankly they're rad! The bases have some extra details (hard to make out I know!) from an older GW basing kit.

23770BEC 5CE7 4FC7 90E0 7CC3819DF208

I have also almost finshed Faseer Zonayen. Zonayen is an Alaitoc Farseer mentioned in funnily enough Codex Tyranids and he explores the concept that the Tyranids are a punishment sent to the galaxy to make them atone for their sins. As its literally just a single throw away line I can do what I like with this character now! The base will have Milliput to fill the gap and build it up slightly. The head is a spare guardian one and the floating rocks are from a Stormcast character I had lying around. :biggrin.:

FF6C5D74 E4C0 4423 AC94 B7C24F5F4EC2

In the fluff for my army Zonayen will be a far more aggressive Farseer, using the battlefield itself as his main weapon, hence the nod to this with the rocks being drawn and cast by him. I will also have a Farseer on jetbike to add at some point but I love this plastic on foot mini and he had to be my Warlord! I've put him on a slightly larger 32mm base as befits his status and for the fact that he should be slightly taller and stand out.

As always thanks for reading and comments etc always welcome!

BCC

TITH I dusted off a classic Hive Tyrant, drilled holes for magnets, glued said magnets, found out they were not strong enough for the barbed strangler and venom canon, removed the magnets (after drilling and cutting a bit more), drilled deeper holes and, instead of magnets, added brass rods. Now I can easily swap weapons. I just need to find a lash whip as it was missing from the mini when I bought it on eBay a while ago. Slowly but surely making some progress :biggrin.:

I also reconciled my inventory of magnets.

TITH I did a game with my loyalist Iron Warriors against Orks. Lost due to a misplay.

.... I also broke the spear on my Sanguinius model when moving it to brush off some dust on it.

Rough man, rough. Is it a just glue it back or I hate my like kill me now I have to pin and sculpt it back to normal bad? 

TITH I assembled one whole Custodes vertus praetor jetbike, five to go. If I build one everyday, maybe two on Fri I can work on them over the weekend. I got all the Custodes infantry done, they just aren't speaking to be to be painted first though. 

TITH I did a game with my loyalist Iron Warriors against Orks. Lost due to a misplay.

.... I also broke the spear on my Sanguinius model when moving it to brush off some dust on it.

Rough man, rough. Is it a just glue it back or I hate my life kill me now I have to pin and sculpt it back to normal bad?

The latter. I was able to secure the pieces with super glue. I'm going to hide the break with what'll essentially be a trailing ribbon on the spear.

TITH I continued with the polish/detail pass on my Templars - each squad is now getting the following:

• Base edges
  • Clump foliage
  • Ruins and/or razor wire
  • Screen and lens improvements
  • Face highlights
  • Parchment shading
  • Tilting plate freehanding
  • Squad numerals
  • Neaten shoulder pad insignia

It's turned into such a big project that I've had to add an extra page to my hobby OneNote to keep track of everything, as some of the ideas came to me after I was a squad or two in and things were starting to get desynchronised. Then, I was brave and did my first helmet cross on my Primaris EC. He's by no means perfect, but I'm still really pleased with it.

VCC1hLT.jpg

Also, my hobby IG that I started less than a week ago is going really well - my Invictor is well north of 200 likes, and I'm nearly at 100 followers :D

I finally picked up the new Mephiston and the missing tactical objective card decks for Chaos and Demons I needed.  Those new Maelstrom of War missions have me motivated!

Plus I hope to finish my 20 custom Death Company Intercessors this weekend.  I have the urge to use them ASAP!  Then I have to finish their "ride"...:wink:  Also Death Company themed...

V/r,

Dan

Ugh, today in the hobby I broke my cardinal commandment and only limitation in 30K: "Thou shalt be done after one transfer sheet" which took me to 16K points...

So of course I bought a second, which sets me up for another 180-ish astartes and 15 vehicles. -rubs eyes- I need to be committed in more ways than just defined as 'dedicated'. 

TITH I undercoated a 10x man Seeker squad, 10x man Tactical Support squad, Morturg, Consul and my two Apothecaries for my 30k DG in preparation for my first time in making a vow.

Yesterday ITH I painted a DG Delegatus as a trial run for how I'm going to paint them, still to do his eyes, weather powders and decide on a glow for the volkite (my airbrushing OSL turned out aweful and I scratched it in the end).  I'll try to get some pics up in a thread at some point.  Might have made him too dark though (overkill on the oil washes and such).

Oh, yep, I really have issues with Vallejo Primer through my airbrush.  Always clogs up so easily, had to clean it three times and mix up flow improver and thinners into the mix to help it.  Takes a while to find a balance, but I'm always having to burst through the first bit to blow out the drying paint.  Must find a new primer at some point that's good for an airbrush.

TITH I finished my third Vindicator for my Iron warriors:
ifz8vqi.jpg

... Though I'm going to have to source a new dozer blade because the one on the rightmost one (the first one I got) is kind of wonky, as whoever built it originally did some weird gluing on it.

I also ordered Warlord: Fury of the God-Machine (hardcover edition) today.