Today in the hobby I....

Aegnor

TITH, I resolved to pick up a box of Harlequins and a box of regular Firstborn Wolves, in order to expand my collections of both Eldar and Wolves. I can make a 10-model Firstborn Wolves box go pretty far, after all. I can get 242 points out of them, maybe even more, and it'll let me make use of my, like, four HQs, too. With the Harlequins, I can make them exactly fit 150 points, to patch up a hole in my current Eldar collection, in a single box. Neat stuff.

TITH I learned matte varnish dose exactly what it says on the can, making things- well matte. RIP my shiny highlights I did on my IW praetor. :cry:

I recommend doing metallics after you varnish for that reason.

Yeah a hard lesson definitely. At least the dull metallics look the same at least. 

TITH I learned matte varnish dose exactly what it says on the can, making things- well matte. RIP my shiny highlights I did on my IW praetor. :cry:

Yeah a hard lesson definitely. At least the dull metallics look the same at least. 

Dull metallics can have a charm of their own, if you want a more aged metal look.

TITH I changed my lightbox/camera setup to make picture taking better, as well as restarted working on my Ork skin tutorial. I've also built a Krieger with a standard.

Dull metallics can have a charm of their own, if you want a more aged metal look.

TITH I changed my lightbox/camera setup to make picture taking better, as well as restarted working on my Ork skin tutorial. I've also built a Krieger with a standard.

Question on this to those that may know, having not tried it myself either way... would a coat of something like lahmium (spelling?) medium 'revive' the original look of something that has been matte (or gloss) varnished?

Question on this to those that may know, having not tried it myself either way... would a coat of something like lahmium (spelling?) medium 'revive' the original look of something that has been matte (or gloss) varnished?

Do you mean 'Ardcoat? Lahmian Medium is for thinning, not for direc application.

A semi-gloss can bring back the normal satin finish of GW paints, but it won't have the same look as metallic paints.

It's kitbashed from Tzaangor, Acolyte, and power axe bits. It's my Teeth of Terra relic. I've got a TH as well but that's behind the body. I wanted both because thermically a sword fits my army better, but sometimes you just need to crush skulls.

TITH (technically Yesterday) I finally managed to make some progress priming minis for by IG and Death Guard projects!

t9CW1QK.jpg

Looks like a clean coat, well done.

TITH, I basecoated my Jump Pack Wolf Lord and Phobos Rune Priest in preparation for tomorrow's delivery - I've got some Wolves and Harleys coming in the mail, and I'm going to paint up all the Wolves together.

Seeing more of Apologist's work on FB and catching up on the Praetors of Calth thread and seeing all the amazing Word Bearers in it as well inspired me to get back to my truescale. I've not worked on them at all since the last update, but I've decided to work on a small combined force of Sons of Horus and Word Bearers. So I dug out an old Chapterhouse Studios torso/legs that had once been used for an abortive attempt at making the magus of the Infernal Carnival, and decided to repurpose it.

It's not easy to tell from this angle but his head is angled back just slightly as if he is orating to cowering humans, and the marine on the right of the pic is my attempt to use some of the spare Tartaros/Cataphractii bits lying around. My only concern is that the normal Mk III/IV arms are too small for these truescale marines, but my only options are either to use the termie arms I've gathered since starting the whole project, with no ability to pose them holding a boltgun with both hands, or to use the handful of Intercessor parts or the load of Reiver boltcarbine arms I've got.something_w_ritten_icked_this_way_comes_

Do you mean 'Ardcoat? Lahmian Medium is for thinning, not for direc application.

I did mean the medium. I'm aware it is for thinning but wondered if giving a coat of this would have any affect if painted over a varnish as a direct application.

I did mean the medium. I'm aware it is for thinning but wondered if giving a coat of this would have any affect if painted over a varnish as a direct application.

I don't see how it could do anything like that when applied directly except for making it wet for a few seconds/minutes. :sweat:

[snip]

Lahmian Medium is essentially GW paint without pigment. If you paint it over a glossy varnish (for example), the medium shouldn't affect the colour of the layers beneath, but it will dry to the same "finish" as regular GW paints, so it will be less glossy than 'Ardcoat, say. As an example, I've done a few transfers by putting down a layer of 'Ardcoat, putting on the transfer, putting down another layer of 'Ardcoat, then a layer of medium to knock back the shine.

+ Edited to add +

As a visual example, check out the shoulder pads of my imperial knight, especially the one on the left of the picture:

gallery_38471_13552_159369.jpg

Edited by Brother Casman
adding picture

Technically TITH (as in, the same 24-hour day, legally), I did most of the paint work on my Phobos Rune Priest, my Wolf Lord with Jump Pack and my ten Grey Hunters (divided into two five-model squads with different poses but identical loadout - I'm plasma-spamming like a Dark Angel because that's what's in the box and loadout options). Today, I plan to finish up all the remaining paint work that needs done, base them and maybe take a few pictures.

Edited by Zephaniah Adriyen