Today in the hobby I....

Aegnor

TITH I finished two heavy weapon marines. Their weapons need highlights but they're good enough for Calth.

BlHXKd4h.jpg

I always loved that missile launcher design, it looks phenomenal. I like it much better than the current design.

TITH, I finished my half-painted Ulthwé and Custodes armies, and finished basing the Raven Guard that needed it.

IMG_20200302_013639581.jpg

IMG_20200302_013846910.jpg

TITH, I started work on my first terrain build. I went with a three-floor ruin, and, so far, have used nothing but cardboard, sprue and superglue. The fumes are unholy, but the terrain itself is looking good thus far.

IMG_20200302_213712305.jpg

very playable terrain is possible from cardboard.

You wouldn't want to photograph it and put it in a magazine but for gaming, it's just fine.

I'm working on an industrial terrain project where the basis for all the pieces is 3mm hardboard and 10 x 10mm pine sticks.

I stick them together (in a regular grid pattern so they all interlock and stack) and cover them with a texture paint of my own recipe.

It's not Golden Daemon but for gaming it's ace.

TITH, I started work on my first terrain build. I went with a three-floor ruin, and, so far, have used nothing but cardboard, sprue and superglue. The fumes are unholy, but the terrain itself is looking good thus far.

I wonder if you should consider gluing some sprue supports to the walls and between the floors? Over time I could see the glue failing and the floors coming unglued. Having some 'wall studs' might help give you a little more support. You could even run a piece of sprue along the underside of the floor but resting on the wall sprues like a header.

And yes, I tend to over-engineer lots of things in my life :tongue.:

I wonder if you should consider gluing some sprue supports to the walls and between the floors? Over time I could see the glue failing and the floors coming unglued. Having some 'wall studs' might help give you a little more support. You could even run a piece of sprue along the underside of the floor but resting on the wall sprues like a header.

And yes, I tend to over-engineer lots of things in my life :tongue.:

An alternative is to double the thickness of the walls, with the inner ones supporting the floors.

You are not alone over-engineering some things :biggrin.:

And, after an evening of work on it and a good night's sleep, here's what I've come up with. I intend to make a few of these, so I have more than just the "Armorium Containers" and "Imperial Building" that come with the First Strike and Know No Fear sets.

IMG_20200303_104829602.jpg

IMG_20200303_104816719.jpg

I'm going to go with "great minds think alike" since that was such a fast turn around on the couple comments... :tongue.:

Also I love the tank traps! I'm going to have to make some of those for Kill Team games.

Yeah, I put the supports in last night, then you made comments. However, they're just cosmetic, the walls are the structural part - for the next one, I'm gonna actually make the sprues a structural bit.

The tank traps are just whittled, weathered bits of sprue. I'm gonna make some more of them, and probably some barricades, for scatter terrain.

TITH, I did two things.

First of all, I did some weathering on my Redemptor. It's a big thing, and - inspired by Fulkes' work on his Redemptor - I went ahead and did some sponge-brushed weathering, as well as some drybrush soot and dirt. I kinda went overboard with the soot on the plasma, and clipped the coils a bit in one spot, but in general, the weathering all looks pretty okay for my first try. Not like it ruins the model or anything. I also went ahead and applied/varnished a decal to his pauldron, in the normal spot you'd see on a regular Marine. We Blackmanes, lads.

IMG_20200303_235849911.jpg

Second, I did up a bits box Primaris Battle Leader with Stalker Bolt Rifle build. Parts list is as follows:

Power pack and head are from the regular Wolves Pack box, though I got them secondhand before I even played 40k. They're neat, and I actually added them to this body before I played Wolves proper.

Body's one of the monopose Intercessor bodies out of Know No Fear and Dark Imperium. He's specifically my old one out of Know No Fear.

The arms, gun, right pauldron and Stalker Bolt Rifle insert are all from the multi-part Intercessor kit.

The left pauldron is off the Primaris Wolves upgrades; Tooth and Claw comes with it, and it comes with six Intercessor pauldrons, one of which is a bit more ornate. The pose I picked for my pack leader didn't like this pauldron, so I'm using it here instead.

The purity seals on the right leg might be from the Aggressor or multi-part Intercessor kit, but... realistically, it doesn't matter, they're purity seals. The purity seal on the left leg is molded into the body, for anyone who's curious.

The base is actually off of the Scarab Swarm; I picked some up for cheap once, never did anything with them, and the base was the right size, so I snipped off those little mounds, which were glued onto the base already when I got 'em, and glued the guy down, done and done.

Every part was out of my bits box, so it cost me "nothing" to put together. He'll be fully painted and added to the force.

IMG_20200303_235859214.jpg

TITH, I did two things.

First of all, I did some weathering on my Redemptor. It's a big thing, and - inspired by Fulkes' work on his Redemptor...[rest ommitted for length]

I don't think I've been named as an inspiration before. I'm honestly happy I could spark some inspiration. And he's looking pretty snazzy to boot! :yes:

Mhm! Like I said, heavy weathering is pretty rare around where I live, and I kinda wanna do some weathering with my Wolves. Maybe not too much, but definitely some, to make them look more realistic than toys. I think I've got that with their armor color and washing over the yellow, but I dunno.

Here's the bits box Battle Leader all finished. I painted him last night and pretty much immediately went to bed.

IMG_20200304_105641660.jpg

TiTHI managed to buy a Dominus Tech Priest instead of a Manipulus because I'm a muppet. A moment of laxity spawns a lifetime of heresy and all that jazz. :p

I'll see if I can return it since I have three Dominii built, one unassembled and the new one I just purchased. That's a tad excessive.

TITH, I took my ETB Reiver squad (five-model, one got scrapped long ago) and started the process of converting it for my Wolves. I have a bit of a question for the forum - if I put a model with a mix of Tacticus and Phobos armor on the table, a chainsword at his hip and a shotgun in his hands, and told you it was a Reiver Pack Leader with a bolt carbine and combat knife, what would you do?

Say "my what a big combat knife you have grandpa pack leader" or was that a trick question?

TITHI Worked on some more grey knights got ten more strike squad guys heraldry done, starting to run out of ideas for new patterns i can pull off on a shoulder pad though

I painted an Ork boy's skin for a tutorial and then found out half of the images came out just slightly out of focus so now I need to do it over again.

At least kitbashing an Intercessor with a Powerfist and helmet from the Sanguinary Guard sprues looks good.

EDIT: Took a quick picture. Still need to drill out the barrel on the auto bolt rifle.

ugiq3S1.jpg

Edited by Fulkes

TITH, I took my ETB Reiver squad (five-model, one got scrapped long ago) and started the process of converting it for my Wolves. I have a bit of a question for the forum - if I put a model with a mix of Tacticus and Phobos armor on the table, a chainsword at his hip and a shotgun in his hands, and told you it was a Reiver Pack Leader with a bolt carbine and combat knife, what would you do?

I'm assuming by 'pack leader' you mean Sgt/LT? If it's clearly identifiable as that and it's unique (you don't have three other similar looking models counting as different units) then I'm all for it. I don't mind proxies if they're converted up. I do mind them when you have multiple identical models representing different things. I should not have to keep track of what units are what from your army.

I'm assuming by 'pack leader' you mean Sgt/LT? If it's clearly identifiable as that and it's unique (you don't have three other similar looking models counting as different units) then I'm all for it. I don't mind proxies if they're converted up. I do mind them when you have multiple identical models representing different things. I should not have to keep track of what units are what from your army.

Sergeant, yeah. Wolves Sergeants are all called Pack Leaders. And, uh... yeah, the squad's pretty distinctly a Reiver unit. The most non-WYSIWYG model is the shotgun dude. The way I figure it, Chainswords and Reiver combat blades are the same thing in the rules (effectively +1A for carrying it) so I swapped out the combat blades for chainswords on my Reivers when I swapped them over to Wolves, and the shotgun's at least an Astartes Assault weapon.