Today in the hobby I....

Aegnor

Today in the hobby I had a go at making my own weathering powders from chalk pastels... and I was pleasantly surprised.

Ohh, I'd love to hear/see more about that!

Today in the hobby, I assembled two Squads, extra weapons for my Dreadnought and experimented with liquid greenstuff on the brave Sir Testmarine.

Today in the hobby I had a go at making my own weathering powders from chalk pastels... and I was pleasantly surprised.

Really? If you do a search on here there would be a tutorial somewhere.

Or, Simply get a chalk pastel, in the colour you want your effect to look, cut a piece off the end and grind/crush it carefully till it becomes powder like. I did this on a mat with a small hammer and spoon, but used kitchen towel wipes to prevent being messy!

Then just softly apply straight to the area you like with dry brush. Whilst I doubt this is as good as the FW weathering powders, for lots of vehicles to apply rust and earth it is a bit cheaper! Being art pastels the colours will blend together reasonably well too. If you want to seal it, look for a proper chalk pastel sealer, as a spray will make the effect disappear.

My experimenting should appear next week in the DA forum. Good luck experimenting too!

Today I almost made a sacrifice to Khorne, some guy was beating me at pool so I - oh wait! That's another story.

I cut myself with a hobby knife (modelling CSM, funnily enough) but it didn't bleed at all, deep cut too!

Don't know who to call on that one.

Samitte, on 30 Jan 2014 - 06:10, said:http://bolterandchainsword.com//public/style_images/carbon_red/snapback.png

cod_lover, on 30 Jan 2014 - 05:35, said:http://bolterandchainsword.com//public/style_images/carbon_red/snapback.png

Or, Simply get a chalk pastel, in the colour you want your effect to

look, cut a piece off the end and grind/crush it carefully till it

becomes powder like. I did this on a mat with a small hammer and spoon,

but used kitchen towel wipes to prevent being messy!

Then just softly apply straight to the area you like with dry brush.

Whilst I doubt this is as good as the FW weathering powders, for lots of

vehicles to apply rust and earth it is a bit cheaper! Being art pastels

the colours will blend together reasonably well too. If you want to

seal it, look for a proper chalk pastel sealer*, as a spray will make the

effect disappear.

My experimenting should appear next week in the DA forum. Good luck experimenting too!

I have been having good success with these as well. In particular, I've been using artist charcoal's to add depth to recesses on vehicles and various browns for stains and rust on exhausts. Examples can be seen on my Templars thread, recentlyost on Land raiders and my Elysian Drop Sentinels. In fact, on the Sentinels, all color was used with artist charcoals/pastels except for the basecoat of grey and the metallics.

* I use common hairspray (AquaNet) to fix my powders. When that is done, then seal. For some reason, spray sealer coats have the annoying property of absorbing the pigments and literally making them either disappear or greatly reduce their effect.

Today I start on my Centurians.

Edited by Honda

Today in the hobby I continued to paint the first 5 members of my Ultramarines tactical squad. The same 5 members I have been working on sence deciding to start a 40k army which further proves what my friends who knew me playing fantasy already knew, I may not be the best painter but boy am I a bit detail obsessive lol.

Today I started painting the sergeant for my first tactical veteran squad. Plan to have him finished sometime toworrow.

Oh, and the combination of brownish-grey carpet + plastic part is not a good one.

I know your pain, brother.

The worst part is finding the missing piece later with your bare feet!:pinch:

Today I started painting the sergeant for my first tactical veteran squad. Plan to have him finished sometime toworrow.

Oh, and the combination of brownish-grey carpet + plastic part is not a good one.

Bane of my very existence. I have a similar carpet and I swear its actually a selectively permeable membrane between this world and the plastic bits world.

I lost a servo-skull to the carpet-void once. I looked for it for a year. Not all at once, of course. ;) But seriously, I know EXACTLY where it fell, and I had 4 other people looking at the same time. It felt supernatural. 

My carpet isn't even grey but it is quite dark, and covered with swirls of dark tan, green and red. My heart stops when I drop something... most recently it was a Warp Talon foot >_>

Last night I used Dot 3 to strip a contemptor for my carcharodons. Walmart was out of super clean.

Today though, I had a horror story. I used a sink sprayer and dish soap to remove the paint, primer and all and a toothbrush and tooth pick to finish it. Then spray primed and painted it all up Carcharodon like, blood and all. I noticed the resin was softer, I guess I left it in too long. The paint felt weird too. Like it was rubber.

Then the edges started peeling revealing resin below.

I took it to the sink sprayer and sprayed it lightly. All the paint and primer came right of like it wasn't even attached. The resin was also noticeably harder.

Yes, it's exactly what you're thinking. SO now its soaking overnight in dish soap and water.

Don't be like me. Dot 3 works too well and all the other reasons not to use it stand.

Edited by Nusquam

I only use Simple Green.  I've heard too many horror stories about what happens to "really good" paint strippers.

Sometimes SG takes a little longer or multiple baths, but it never damages the model. I've had stuff in a bath for 6+ months and it was just fine. Now, I will not make that claim for resin, but I have left stuff in there for several weeks with no damage to the resin.

I'm very sorry to hear that you experienced this.

Or, Simply get a chalk pastel, in the colour you want your effect to

look, cut a piece off the end and grind/crush it carefully till it

becomes powder like. I did this on a mat with a small hammer and spoon,

but used kitchen towel wipes to prevent being messy!

Then just softly apply straight to the area you like with dry brush.

Whilst I doubt this is as good as the FW weathering powders, for lots of

vehicles to apply rust and earth it is a bit cheaper! Being art pastels

the colours will blend together reasonably well too. If you want to

seal it, look for a proper chalk pastel sealer, as a spray will make the

effect disappear.

Thanks, I'll look up the tutorial as well.

As someone who plays Vampire Counts and likes skeletons and walking on bare feet.. I know, ohh I know.

Today in the hobby is a good one so far though! Got my basing materials in via the mail, and a ''very late sorry i forgot'' birthday present from my ex. A techmarine + servitors! Next up will be finishing the assembly of my tactical squads and then primetime.