Go to solution Solved by Brother-Chaplain Kage,

I loved 1st and 2nd ed Warmachine (and Hordes). It's a great game with nice models and a surprisingly deep setting, and I had a great time with it.

When I came back to GW, it was partly because I needed a break, but mostly because, from a hobby standpoint, I find Warmachine/Hordes to be extremely restrictive. Because you have to base your army around special characters and an ongoing narrative is an integral part of the game, you can't invent your own heroes and write your own lore for your own corner of the setting, or tell your own stories with the games you play. (Well, I guess you can, but they won't count.) It turns out that stuff matters more to me than game balance.

Assuming you come back to look at this thread again, where will you be posting pictures of your WarmaHordes stuff? I want to see what you come up with for it!

Its always bittersweet coming into a thread like this to find out that the artist is taking a break. I call you an artist because your conversions really improve the models you work on. I'll be keeping my subscription to this thread for whenever you return.

• 2 weeks later...

Its always bittersweet coming into a thread like this to find out that the artist is taking a break. I call you an artist because your conversions really improve the models you work on. I'll be keeping my subscription to this thread for whenever you return.

Thanks, that means a lot. :)

As promised, I have started a thread elsewhere with my Warmachine stuff that you can find in my signature. 

• 2 months later...

My hiatus didn't last as long as I thought, but I am powerless before the might of inspiration. Looking at Grotsmasha's future conversion challenges, I saw that the next one is planned to be psykers, and it got me thinking about what might be a cool subject that allowed for some good conversion possibilities? Something to push myself with. A Space Wolves run priest came to mind, pose and everything. The problem is that the next conversion challenge is in June and my muse doesn't reschedule for anyone, much less me.

After several hours of hunting bits, cutting, drilling, gluing, and tweaking, here's the initial sketch I'll build on.

zu5zGKH.png

The spear will become a staff, not to worry, but I left it as is to make sure the length of the weapon was right for the rest of the figure.

You try to get out, but it just drags you back in.

Interesting sketch build. Leave no joint uncut; when absolutely everything needs a to be tweaked or adjusted. I never have the courage. It will be interesting to see how you treat the left arm.

Leave no joint uncut; when absolutely everything needs a to be tweaked or adjusted. I never have the courage.

That's my motto, I think. :) And where you may not have the courage for such conversions, I'm the same with scratch building because I suck at it. I'm sure there will be more tweaking as it goes on and looking at the model with fresh eyes today I already want to chop the right leg at the knee at change it up a tad. I'm not sure what to do with the left arm yet, but it probably be opposite the right arm for balance in the pose and I'm still looking for a proper head to put on him. The theme here will be he's summoning his power for a big spell and there will be lots of implied movement with hair, cloak, and other stuff affected by the wind.

After digging out my small amount of Wolf bits I have (including my last SW marine head), I added the left arm, shoulder pads, and power pack to make sure everything fit properly.

LhJ9k2j.png

I need to do some planning on exactly what I'm going to do to this guy for decorations so the next update might be a while.

He's coming along well. Glad to see you back, too!

The only thing I'm not too sure about is his sword-arm. For some reason that arm seems... unnatural or out of place to me. Possibly because of the sword feeling a bit out of place for a Space Wolf, or maybe because it feels in a weird place where it's neither straight enough to be extended and too straight to feel natural to my eyes, but... there's a certain something missing to the pose to me. I'm earnestly not sure. Might just be my mind making odd connections when there are none to be made.

No, and to be honest, I was never completely happy with the sword arm and it only grew more apparent how out of place it was. I'm already getting ideas for a few more of these, maybe a Wolf Lord and a few Wolf Guard to go along with the Rune Priest. I've always wanted to do something inspired by this Adrian Smith piece and maybe a Wolf Lord would be a good fit:

LD1iWB8.png?1

Did some cloak work on this guy but not sure if I like it.

5QbPB3b.png

One interesting thing I tried differently this time with the tissue cloak was giving it a coat of Future Floor Wax (or whatever the new name of it is) after the initial glue dried and it really seems to have added more strength to it.

I'm afraid I'm not digging that cape. I doesn't look natural. There aren't the lovely curves and smooth lines there ought to be, and though I know why you're trying to make it look caught up in a psychic maelstrom, it kinda looks like he'd saying on a duvet (if the current angle was a birds eye view).

There really are no shortcuts to making a convincing cloak. Perhaps look at the limited FW Traitor Sorceror for inspiration, as he had a similar pose to this chap.

They say there's no school like the old school so I cannibalized a modified plastic cape from an old conversion that never solidified.

o6DZ0PU.png

And never throw anything away. That's what I say, because if I had tossed this failed cape it wouldn't be working on this this guy right now. It's going to need some adjustments, but I think that puzzle piece fit perfectly. Also put the original test head back on because I was getting tired of looking at the old and very 'meh' SW head.

Looks good, like he is calling down the tempests wrath..

The fist looks great, I almost thought you would have gone with a bearded axe. Almost like when you started a very cool viking style Space Wolves conversion, with the chain ail face pate.