Go to solution Solved by Brother-Chaplain Kage,

My goodness, you're a butcher, in the best possible way.

7jlnsGA.png

"Steve Austin, astronaut. A man barely alive."

"Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to make the world's first bionic man. Steve Austin will be that man. Better than he was before. Better...stronger...faster."

I dunno, with the mohawk, could be Chuck "The Iceman" Liddell

The others didn't like the arm? Well they're wrong. I would leave it unarmed, though... perhaps slightly bent arm with palm facing to the sky, like he's generating lightning or some sort of filthy mutant power. Edited by DuskRaider

My goodness, you're a butcher, in the best possible way.

Out of chaos comes order, or something really deep sounding like that, right? I tend to look at it as more freedom to do the crazy stuff I want without having to compromise. :D

I dunno, with the mohawk, could be Chuck "The Iceman" Liddell

The mohawk won't be staying and he'll be getting even more hair and beard than Thor did.

The others didn't like the arm? Well they're wrong. I would leave it unarmed, though... perhaps slightly bent arm with palm facing to the sky, like he's generating lightning or some sort of filthy mutant power.

If I still had one of those Grey Knights hands I most definitely would.

Here's a few runes I had a go at sculpting for use on the rune priest.

Z0fi3B0.png

Not the greatest pic but I wasn't ready to remove them from the sheet plastic yet, which is probably why it came out so funky.

Thanks, guys.

As much as I like the cataphractii shoulder pads, he's supposed to be in power armor and it looks odd to me because of that. I had forgotten how difficult it can be to pose a long weapon like a spear or Nostraman chainglaive and still look interesting.

It looks like he's supposed to be casually walking, so the current pose you have works. You could also have him resting it on his shoulder which would give him a bit of swagger as well. As far as pauldrons, Master Crafted Miniatures makes truescale pieces that could work as well. 

I've been working on Odin Allfather over the past week or so and it's turning into Odin Allproblems. Once I started working on the legs it quickly became apparent that his legs were too far apart for his hips, and his hair and beard have been a constant headache. I finally got something I'm somewhat happy with and I believe this is hair attempt #8, but since I had the bright idea of doing hair on all of these guys and have only sculpted it a few times... here we are.

HDkn5Lv.png

The beard is just a foundation form so I have something solid to build on, but what do you think, brothers?

Hair can be a real bastard to sculpt for sure. Odin's hair as is isn't too shabby, but some 'strands' look a little chunky, like a dreadlock. How long did you wait for the GS to cure before starting sculpting? I find it can help to let it harden slightly so it is less malleable and therefore holds together better.

In addition, it can help to go over the indentation lines (looks like you've used a colour shaper?)with a scalpel blade to get a little more depth and variety.

Either way, I feel your pain, but persevere and it'll be a useful skill acquired for life.

After several beard attempts with some funky Viking-like styles, I settled on a good ol' tactical beard for the Allfather.

dqqM6qI.png

And I may end up doing the hair again. *sigh*

It may not look like it, but I've had to do a lot of reworking on the legs of ol' Odin.

4xDWU00.png

In my initial pinning of the legs to the hip area, I made them way too far apart and it didn't become apparent until I started to rebuild the upper thighs. Plus, more angles on the beard.

I've also made the decision to try sculpting my re-imagined Phoenix Lords from scratch using Fimo and hopefully get at least one entered in the upcoming ETL.

I took the plunge today and started on making my first armature to sculpt a figure from scratch, for which I used my Karandras conversion to model it off of.

xGU2yUJ.png

My armature is a bit larger than the conversion but I think I got the pose pretty close and was able to correct the forward lean I didn't like in my original version.

2GEczow.png

For those interested, I've been watching Tom Mason's youtube channel and made a little wood vice sculpting stand from one of his vids.

sIlULjS.png

It's a 1.5" x .5" x whatever length piece of wood that he suggests you cut into 1" sections, drill a hole through and put a bolt in, but I tried that and the 1" sections seemed a bit small to me so I went with 1.5" wide sections.

So far, I like where it's going, but I'm still very nervous about a lot of this. The next step is to cover the armature in a very thin layer of greenstuff, which you have to do so the polymer clay of your choice has something to stick to (won't stick to the metal). I haven't been able to find a definitive answer to if you can bake the figure in sections (kind of like what I'm used to with GW), but Tom Mason and some of the other sculptors I've been looking up have all said they sculpt the entire thing and then bake it. And I was also surprise that even with steel wire, the armature is still extremely bendy and makes me worry about shifting it when I'm sculpting.

Oh yeah, and just to make it even more fun, the effect of clay shapers and metal tools are essentially reversed with polymer clay - the shapers will very lightly grip the clay while the metal tools slide ride off it. Should be interesting.

I got the armature skinned and I may have been a little overconfident with how easily I would transition to a different sculpting medium. It's not quite as bad as trying to use greenstuff for the first time all those years ago, but I really don't like it so far. I do 90% of my sculpting with with shapers and on clay they grab hold of the clay and drag it, forcing me to use metal tools that I am not all that familiar with, so the options for the Phoenix Lords in the immediate future is to continue with the conversions or maybe try sculpting them from scratch with GS instead.

There's not really a good way to put styrene on the armature. 

I dusted off Jain Zar today, literally, and finally got her larger spear blade I made a while back attached. Here's a comparison of the two blades. 

zc7Fh4C.png

And all posed up. (BTW, the lines on the new blade are fingerprints I didn't notice until I saw the photos.)

Hlpr50T.png

I'm going to start working on a sash around her waist and I'm contemplating a loincloth similar to the original, both sculpted to indicate movement. 

After several beard attempts with some funky Viking-like styles, I settled on a good ol' tactical beard for the Allfather.

dqqM6qI.png

And I may end up doing the hair again. *sigh*

By Odin's beard! I hope I can get my scratch work up to this! This is AWESOME!

HAHA we hae your prints now!! 

Sans kidding, that armature work is inspired. I hope you can make greenstuff to work on it - I may be a complete noob when it comes to sculpting, but I don't see why you should force yourself to a particular way of doing things or a particular material when you already have something that works for you.