I may have to name a figure after you, Vazzy.

What the hell am I, chopped liver?   :tongue.:

In seriousness, though, expect a PM soon. Well, as soon as I finish kicking the 33rd's ass out of Dubai....

EDIT: Nevermind, got smoked for the zabillionth time. Suicide Difficulty ain't no joke. PM en route.

Edited by 1000heathens

I say go with the Breacher, you can do some badass effects, like, say, the Legion Symbol weeping blood...

Agreed again, plus the flat breacher surface can be an excellent way to show off that fancy-shmancy acid-rain effect you got goin.'

Huh. The more I think of it, the more I like the idea of the winged breacher shields used as storm shields. Might need to try that out.

I thought Everyone did this? I bought like 10 of them to do it. 

Where did you get ten of them to experiment with?  I'd like to give that a try some time soon if they aren't that expensive.

Aliexpress, if you look at my Ultras thread I got the whole marine for around 6 bucks, and requested if I could just get the shields, they were like 2.50 a pop

Oh neat, I'd like to be a Crimson Son.

Edited by Vazzy

I may have to name a figure after you, Vazzy.

What the hell am I, chopped liver?   :tongue.:

Actually, I was planning on opening up the Crimson Sons to adoption by members of the board to name each one, but first I have to get some more cash flow to buy more resin. Right now, I'm converting everything I possibly can with the bitz Mikhail sent for his commission. You've definitely got a spot reserved, never fear.

In seriousness, though, expect a PM soon. Well, as soon as I finish kicking the 33rd's ass out of Dubai....

EDIT: Nevermind, got smoked for the zabillionth time. Suicide Difficulty ain't no joke. PM en route.

Sounds good!

Oh neat, I'd like to be a Crimson Son.

I think I can swing that, no problem.

On that front, I've been talking to Mikhail about doing a figure in his honor, for all the help and generosity with the bitz he's sent me, and we've decided on a Techmarine. In terminator armor(I know they can't have TDA by the rules, but I'm doing it anyway). With a conversion beamer and a volkite weapon.

Now, the head will be different, and since I probably won't be getting back to my Angels of Vengeance for a while, I'm gonna use the terminator chest conversion I was working on as a base. Here's the first tentative steps for Armorum Forge Lord Khail:

http://i.imgur.com/SLlfkQY.jpg

This is bare-bones, so expect a lot of greenstuff work in the coming days.

That is my favorite veteran mini GW has ever produced Kage, so I'm really excited to see what you do with it!

Same here, I wish the helmet was swappable.

Man, I can't even fathom the level of patience it would take to bore that head out. I've seen pictures of that body with a korvydae head- and while it looked awesome, I just don't have the nerve to do that.  If it was resin, absolutely, but metal makes me lose my nerve right quick!

That is my favorite veteran mini GW has ever produced Kage, so I'm really excited to see what you do with it!

Man, I can't even fathom the level of patience it would take to bore that head out. I've seen pictures of that body with a korvydae head- and while it looked awesome, I just don't have the nerve to do that.  If it was resin, absolutely, but metal makes me lose my nerve right quick!

You don't remember when everything was metal?  We used to cut all out metal minis up and bore the necks out with drills to convert them.  Hell, I used to buy the bits for my pin vise in bulk just to pin every model together.  This new resin stuff is spoiling you kids now a days.  

You don't remember when everything was metal?  We used to cut all out metal minis up and bore the necks out with drills to convert them.  Hell, I used to buy the bits for my pin vise in bulk just to pin every model together.  This new resin stuff is spoiling you kids now a days.  

I remember breaking at least 4 pairs of pliers on metal models, and lots of bloody little accidents and mishaps involved with them.  I remember it was such an endearing memory that I left the hobby for a while as I awaited finecast and did custom gunpla/plamo for friends for a while. Never had one of those fancy schmancy drills either- did everything with clippers, or an xacto knife.  It did improve my grip strength quite a bit though, admittedly. 

And now that finecast is being phased out for more durable plastic? We're spoiled rotten, eh Mikhail? Hehe.

But enough sauntering down memory lane, back to the topic at hand. Can we get a side shot of armorum lord Khail? How would you rate the sculpting quality of that brownstuff? does it dry more or less quickly than the greenstuff we all know and love/loathe?

I had a "You kids get off my lawn" moment after I read my post.  I'll gladly get back on topic now.

Chaplain, I can't speak to the sculpting qualities of the "brownstuff" putty having never actually used it myself but I have used a product called "ProCreate" and I liked it much better than greenstuff.  I'm no sculptor though so I'll let Kage give you his thoughts on the subject.

One of my favorites of all time as well, and I hear ya on the swappable helmet.

Are those purity seals covering up something unsightly? :happy.:

Not exactly. The armor plates over his abdomen were slightly miscast when I bought it ages ago, and I just filed it flat. Boring, maybe, but not unsightly.

I have done conversions that were that much of a PITA before. With a Dremel, it wouldn't be that hard. 1) Clip off the helmet above the collar. 2) Drill some starter holes in the center of the "neck" with a pin vice, then load the largest drill bit your Dremel can hold and bore them out. 3) Use a grinder bit and/or files to clean up.

It did take me a while to build up to stuff like that, as I was terrified of destroying my minis, but like some mad scientist, each new monstrous creation only spurred me on to bigger and better conversions the next time.

See? He knows what I was just describing! lol And yeah, after dropping my original BCK figure from a game table during a tournament and watching it shatter into about 8 pieces, I started pinning EVERYTHING - plastic, metal, whatever. I still do, even with Finecast.

I remember breaking at least 4 pairs of pliers on metal models, and lots of bloody little accidents and mishaps involved with them.  I remember it was such an endearing memory that I left the hobby for a while as I awaited finecast and did custom gunpla/plamo for friends for a while. Never had one of those fancy schmancy drills either- did everything with clippers, or an xacto knife.  It did improve my grip strength quite a bit though, admittedly. 

That's why I bought a razor saw, a jeweler's saw, and a little later, a Dremel. I'd still do the same thing with a pin vice though, doing starter tunnels with a small bit then boring them out with a larger one, then coming in with an X-Acto and cutting through the thin sections between them.

And now that finecast is being phased out for more durable plastic? We're spoiled rotten, eh Mikhail? Hehe.

But enough sauntering down memory lane, back to the topic at hand. Can we get a side shot of armorum lord Khail? How would you rate the sculpting quality of that brownstuff? does it dry more or less quickly than the greenstuff we all know and love/loathe?

I think I might be one of the few people to actually miss Finecast once it's gone. Yeah, it sucked getting home to find out you got a bad cast, but they replaced it for free, in a hurry, every time with no questions asked, but damn did it make converting a breeze.

I'll get a side shot of Khail after this post and I get some food in my belleh!

I had a "You kids get off my lawn" moment after I read my post.  I'll gladly get back on topic now.

Here ya go:

http://i.imgur.com/CW2NWEw.gif

Chaplain, I can't speak to the sculpting qualities of the "brownstuff" putty having never actually used it myself but I have used a product called "ProCreate" and I liked it much better than greenstuff.  I'm no sculptor though so I'll let Kage give you his thoughts on the subject.

It's not brownstuff on my old count-as Belial termie conversion, but "greystuff" which is exactly the same as greenstuff with a different color. I don't remember what the emergency was, but when I bought I NEEDED some greenstuff right then, and the only kind I could find was the greystuff.

I keep meaning to buy some of that ProCreate and try it out. I hear from a lot of sources that it's considerably better than greenstuff.

:cuss me Kage your actually doing a full squad and not being side tracked

Yes! Hopefully I wasn't talking out of my arse earlier when I said the Crimson Sons might finally be the army I finish.

As promised, here's a side shot of Armorum Forge Lord Khail:

http://i.imgur.com/0u4IwMN.jpg

And the paint chipping job I did on that vet after dinner:

http://i.imgur.com/T0o62PQ.jpg

Now that I actually got the right kind of paint for this, the paint came off REALLY easy in some spots, so I will be going back and reducing the size of some of those paint chips with the base color at a later point, but I'll have to wait for the coat of varnish to dry first, though.

In a different thread, I posted about one of my first purchases for 40k a long time ago of this command squad box:

http://i.imgur.com/8GAmM9R.gif

It was about stripping marines and repainting them as something else, and after Heinrich's example, I was sharing how many different allegiances this guy had over the years:

http://i.imgur.com/7pLbjIh.jpg

It made me a little nostalgic, so I set about digging up the rest of the guys. The techmarine I posted a few days ago, but here he is again with the Captain and apothecary. I still have the standard bearer, somewhere, but couldn't locate him right now.

http://i.imgur.com/uw8phRA.jpg

Some people say the older figures had more character where the new stuff is more bland, but I think that's up to each person to decide for himself.

And an update on the vet's paint chipping to show that I toned it down some:

http://i.imgur.com/aHksg0c.jpg

Used to like the old space marine captain mini. There was also an old sergeant model I saw that had a bionic arm and chainsword that I really liked.

The chipping damage looks really nice.

Edited by Dark Rage

So many updates I missed!

The chipped guy is going to be a Crimson Son?

Yup! The rest of the Crimson Sons from this point on will have some paint chipping done to them as well.

That old vet model from the command squad box is such a lovely sculpt! In fact, I've almost finished painting my copy (had him since release) and decided to paint him as a Blood Angel.....its been the first model in a few years and I was surprised how well he's turning out!

Blood Angels were my first army and similarly, his first paint job. :)

Used to like the old space marine captain mini. There was also an old sergeant model I saw that had a bionic arm and chainsword that I really liked.

The chipping damage looks really nice.

You mean this guy?

http://i.imgur.com/UR114EB.jpg

If so, I used to have one of those and traded it away years ago. It was a cool figure.

I'm glad you like the chipping! I think the hairspray technique produces some amazing results, since it is literally chipped paint, and looks a lot more natural than trying to do it with a paintbrush or dabbing paint on with the spongy stuff that comes in the blister packs.

Well, I'd been waiting on some bits I got off of eBay to arrive before I did any more work on Armorum Forge Lord Khail, and now that they're here, I'm a little disappointed to see that what I bought won't work with the Belial torso I had converted a while back. I still want to do that same conversion on the chest, as I really like the way it looks, so I'll have to do another one. On the last one, I didn't take any pictures before I had already covered up the chest in putty, so here's a look at it in the initial stage:

http://i.imgur.com/C3yoXk8.jpg

You can see just how much bulk will be added to the chest in the next stage by how much the GK termie back piece sticks out from the sides.

Yes, yes... that is a Centurion head, which, imho, is the only redeemable part of that whole kit, but as soon as I saw the pre-release photos of the waddling abominations I knew that I had to do a techmarine conversion with one of those heads. Luckily, I decided to make this guy a terminator, as the Cent heads are too big on a power armored marine.

Here's a shot where I'm trying on the Cataphractii arm, which I could only seem to locate one of at the moment:

http://i.imgur.com/53exvyX.jpg

The upper armor plate won't be that far over, it's just that the arm didn't want to stick to the torso and I didn't notice I had bumped it out of place after several proddings to stay in place.

*edit*

I knew I had four techmarines, and I finally found the last one!

http://i.imgur.com/YeDi8um.jpg

I can't remember if he came in a bike set or was manning the cupola of a tank originally.

Edited by Brother Chaplain Kage

The Cent head was too big. Even with trimming the piston-looking things from the back and sides of the head, it still wouldn't fit into the neck slot on the other torso, and I didn't to completely chop that up. I figure I might as well do a new one because I had planned to peel all the putty off the first one and redo it anyway.