Go to solution Solved by Brother-Chaplain Kage,

Whenever you wanna stop by, just lemme know, Ludo. :)

Kizz - the blade's cool but it's a very fragile thing even with the one hammered from a paper clip. I'm sure you could not hammer it out as much and make it thicker and easier to work with, but I specifically wanted this one to be very thin. Now I just gotta figure out a way to build a fancy basket hilt for it.

It is apity you do not have the Imperial Guard Colonel model, holding the sabre vertically. It has a basket hilt (I think). You could press mould one from that.

Another insane thought I had.... Small gauge multi strand cable. Strip the sheath off and solder or glue all the strands on one end. you could then splay the strands to make the hilt and coat in very runny glue to help it hold its shape. Maybe solder or glue the other end to keep it all together. 

For a long time I've wanted to do a Sons of Sek figure and I just pledged to make a Damogaur (counts as Company Commander) for the Heroes of the Guard challenge. We serve the word of the Anarch, whose voice drowns out all others.

I'm using this Vostroyan as the base for the conversion:

http://i.imgur.com/5MjbKJO.png

I've seen a ton of conversion made out of that guy, so I guess it's my turn now. I've already removed the head and left arm, and you can bet that there's gonna be a hand-shaped rebreather on him. I'm not sure what to do with the arms just yet, but for a long time I've wanted to make a larger kukri sort of blade for a figure and it's difficult to do in sheet plastic because of its narrow waist unless you want to make it ridiculously large. Yup, that's right, paperclip blade #2.

http://i.imgur.com/yxhBoFt.png

Pointing forward with the blade, like he's ordering his troops into the fight? Holding up a severed head with the blade at his side in the other hand? Decisions, decisions.

I was smarter this time and didn't cut the blade away from the paperclip to do the shaping and filing and since I started right in at the beginning with my Dremel, it took all of 5-10 minutes to get the shape pretty much where you see it in the picture. I did some fine tuning with files and lower grit sandpaper wrapped around various things and then worked down most of the hammer marks, but I'm gonna leave a few in there to show that it's had some wear and tear.

Are the sons of Sek a renegade militia company? I love that vostroyan sniper mini and Im looking forward to see you convert it. I would say the pose depends a bit on what kind of soldiers they are. For profesional soldiers I would say leading the troops is a good pose. For a blood-thirsty band of warriors holding the head is a nice and gruesome touch.

+10 for using a kukri

Holding up a severed head with the blade at his side in the other hand? Decisions, decisions.

This seems like a no brainer to me.

That paper clip blade is awesome, but much too long IMO. As it is right now, you have a "rapier" style weapon that appears to be as long as she is, shoulders to ground, when it would be more realistic that the blade is about 2/3rds that length at most. It does look fantastic though.

I like to believe that the thicker weapon blades for the Marines is due to the need for them to be thicker and more brutal. Doesn't work well for justifying the AM stuff with normal humans though...

Are the sons of Sek a renegade militia company?

Oh no, the Sons of Sek are much more than some ragtag traitor militia. They are the elite, ordered, regimented forces of Magister Anakwanar Sek. http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Sons_of_Sek

Emperor's armpits, man, that's a pretty good kukri (or some such). I can't wait to see how you fare with the rebreather. :happy.:

Thanks, Olis. I gotta try for the rebreather and hope I can pull it off.

My vote is totes for a severed head.

Bonus points for a really creative decapitation victim :biggrin.:

Maybe I shouldn't have suggested that, 'cause I've never liked doing the figures with some kind of trophy head or dead body on the base.

Going to be interesting to see a Son of Sek, their uniform is yellow in colour is it not? The blade looks good, looking forward to seeing the hand shaped rebreather. That's one of my fav models your converting there, make it good!

Their uniforms are described as ochre, which is light brown-yellow.

What is the base model for the Inqusitor? I totally have to steal that conversion for myself...

A limited edition Victoria Haley figure from Warmachine.

That paper clip blade is awesome, but much too long IMO. As it is right now, you have a "rapier" style weapon that appears to be as long as she is, shoulders to ground, when it would be more realistic that the blade is about 2/3rds that length at most. It does look fantastic though.

I like to believe that the thicker weapon blades for the Marines is due to the need for them to be thicker and more brutal. Doesn't work well for justifying the AM stuff with normal humans though...

You're right, it might be a bit too long. I can see the thicker blades for the marines but they're still huge. One of those combat blades from the tac squad is almost as thick as a Cadian lasrifle.

So, as mentioned above, I won't be going with the the severed head idea and instead going with the other idea of a commander ordering his men forward into the fray. The more I thought about the idea, the more it seemed like a funny reversal where you have this commander of Chaos troops striking a pose like something you'd see on a Guard recruitment poster.

http://i.imgur.com/tALVc4D.png

Still got a lot to do with the chest and I know that the blade is a little off from the handle, but I like the overall feel of the pose.

Edited by Brother Chaplain Kage

How about one of the heads from the Cadian Command Squad?

My first idea with this guy was to give him a peaked hat, so... maybe? What about one of the unmasked Scions heads with a beret?

Top job on the kukri. :thumbsup:

Thanks!

So, I posted Maestoros to the conversion challenge thread, being at a happy place with him for now, but I do still plan on doing more work on him. Here's the post with the photos for the competition: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/278051-grotsmashas-conversion-challenge-3-captains-completions/?p=3436225

To finish him up for the competition, I finally did a rear tabard that I liked, put a new hilt on the sword, added a riveted crest to the helmet, and made the elbow armor on his left arm look a little closer to the one from the Praetor. Here's some detail pics:

http://i.imgur.com/CuBq6XI.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/BFn42qT.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/hDSiAQC.jpg

What a amazing tread! I know the thing I quoted is a few years old already, but what did you use for the studs on this AMAZING figure? I am pretty intrested to know ^^

How about one of the heads from the Cadian Command Squad?

My first idea with this guy was to give him a peaked hat, so... maybe? What about one of the unmasked Scions heads with a beret?

I'm not too knowledgeable with the Scion heads, so I'll go and have a look. If you need some Scion heads, I have a few kicking around.

What a amazing tread! I know the thing I quoted is a few years old already, but what did you use for the studs on this AMAZING figure? I am pretty intrested to know ^^

They're plastic rivets made mostly for the model train builders.

I'm not too knowledgeable with the Scion heads, so I'll go and have a look. If you need some Scion heads, I have a few kicking around.

I might take you up on that.

I feel the blade could be made a little smaller. Also looks slightly like a hint boomerang to me so maybe it's a little symmetrical. Not sure a beret head will work, how about the rebreather head from the FW cadian kit?

The blade came out at a sharper angle than I intended. I bent the paperclip to the angle I wanted and when I started hammering it flat, it bent more and once it's flat there's nothing you can do about it. As for the size, I wanted it to be a larger version of a kukri, but I may shorten it a little. And I really want to stay away from the Cadian helmets with this guy.