The Minotaurs & also Horus (Updated August 18th)

Lorenzen

Looking good. Though there appears to be a horrific "thing" in the background behind some of those Minotaurs - though I don't doubt you can make it look better than the hideousness that the 'EM team inflicted upon it.

Loken is Deffo the way to go for the weekend. Good luck.

PS: how goes the Lion? No rush, especially as you prep for GD ;)

Hes almost done, working some stitches onto the cloak on the pelts edge and a little clasp on the strap across his chest, xiii on his belt then he should be ready to head home. ;)

If i can finish him before sunday i can send him up with drew if u want?

I paint skin from vallejo's grey primer whenever possible (if the head is attatched to the model ala metal/finecast it usually gets a coat of dheneb stone just to get me started) the first couple of stages are washes, one is a mix of cadian fleshtone and administratum grey, next is a wash of terracotta, from there i use the cadia/admin mix to touch up any areas that are too dark (initial highlights etc) then i highlight with a mix of vmc basic skintone mixed with admin grey, put a light glaze of purple over the whole thing, glaze a little red over the lips, wash vmc german camo black brown around the eyes, paint in the eyes, touch up round the edges if necessary, then use glazes and washes to give them stubble etc, normally nuln oil but in the case of Idas i think i used german camo black brown to match his (unfinished) beard, it doesnt run as smoothly as a wash which is what gives him that patchy look to the top of his head oh and a small glaze of blue under the eyes can help too sometimes, though i missed that stage out on him.

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/262/f/0/idas_by_typhion-d6mw148.jpg

This guy! I should have added 'sternie head'. Like I said though, it is all excellent, sculpting, kitbashing/converting; and of course painting.

Great log

Thanks man, i really like that model hes got a lot of character and the head just screamed out miserable grizzled sergeant to me.

Back from gamesday now.. Loken got me nothing, pretty much overlooked due to the somewhat muted colours, bad cabinet position and the like, not happy with the result as i think it was better than some of the "final cut" stuff by a fair bit tbh.. live and learn i guess. *sigh*

• 2 months later...

Absolutely inspiring work. I love the conversions, the paintjobs are terrific, and every miniature screams with character and Minotaur ferocity. I love it :). I had one question for you though, and forgive me if this should be obvious, but where did you get Ajax's head and that monstrously awesome hammer from? I recently added a few thunder hammer terminators to my Carcharodons, and I would love to give the squad leader both as I plan for him to stands head and shoulders above the rest of the unit. Thank you in advance for the info, and please keep up the spectacular work!

I'll tell you where the bits came from as I haven't seen Lorenzen post here in a while.  The head is from: Space Marine Captain: Lord Executioner and the hammer head is from the: Deathwing Command Squad box.  It looks like he used another terminator left hand and added the head of the thunder hammer to the hand and handle though.  I have that box and the hammer is definitely right handed and the haft is considerably shorter.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So its been a rather long time since i posted any Minotaur related glory on here.. mainly due to life getting in the way and partly due to being a bit demoralized with painting after gduk.

but no more! I'm running the Orpheus campaign with some friends soon and require 2k of taurs to do so (plus any extra we decide to throw in..) and so i've got to start painting and posting again..

1797572_10152052935166406_46730009_n.jpg

first up is Ivanus Enkomi with and without a jump pack.. i've always loved this model buy felt he didnt look right next to vanguard marines etc in his basic pose.. hence the reworking of him.

1966824_10152031172151406_435637360_n.jp

secondly we have my latest tactical marine who is still a little way from completion (highlights, weathering etc) but was required for me to remember how i even painted these guys!

1970833_10152048043326406_1900408121_n.j

and finally we have my Knight who is being painted up for a death guard alligned house, but will act as a freeblade for the taurs (subtle hints of Legio Crucius colours and potential stuff to come..)

C&C welcome as always. smile.png

Great to see you posting again, your stuff is inspirational. Although my favourites are the Death Guard, the Minotaurs are also awesome. I like the reposing of Enkomi, can imagine that being a pain in the backside but it looks as if it's an original variant sculpt. Looking forward to seeing progress on the Knight. Are you attending the Heresy Weekender? Would be good to see some of your work first hand.

Cheers dude, yeah ill be at the Weekender again this year representing the 1st expedition so should be easy enough to spot.. (ill be the one with Lorenzen on his back tongue.png)

Enkomi wasn't too hard to do at all tbh, its essentially clever use of a hairdryer and a blade.. made a few cuts to reposition the powerfist/remove excess bits of crozius from it, cut out one of his feet and replaced it with a assault marines foot and then just used heat to repose the legs etc..

the death guard are still in progress.. its just a massive task and these NEED to be done sooner tongue.png

1424305_10202377455738635_1261383889_n.j

999786_10202377456298649_330630398_n.jpg

between me and my mate we have about 20k now i think.. that was a 12k game on the istvaan board at whw.. we were struggling to deploy stuff..

Archived