The Nine Legions - Started Dreadclaws

Dragonlover

Oh mate, that's not even the half of it. I ended up with 6 squads of various Heresy pattern armours, Vanguard, Sternguard, Raptors and a Vengeance Speeder, plus one each of the FW Heresy weapon packs. I don't need to buy a dude in armour for at least a year and a half, which means I'll probably find a reason to somewhere along the line. For example, I keep eyeing up the FW Berzerker kits, since I'm doing my World Eaters after the Alpha Legion are finished.

But yeah, masses of work. I've had a look at the sprues for the various plastics, I can't wait to build the Raptors and get cracking with the Jackal pattern troop transport.

Dragonlover

• 2 weeks later...

So, on the basis that I'm getting annoyed with the old metals I've been using, here's 5 Raptors with the Mark of Khorne. I've kitbashed them with some leftover Berzerker parts, I considered bunny-ear helmets but the general consensus was that they didn't look right.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g79/Dragonlover63/SDC10558.jpg

And yes, I know I said I'd be doing the rest of my Anvil stuff, but I'm waiting for some bases to show up. Plus I need superglue, mines screwed. Any suggestions? Preferably stuff that comes with a metal applicator.

Dragonlover

Things are looking great- very impressed by the drakes!

Those Anvil models look great- I have used Anvil for accessories, but never the soldiers. Anyone give you a hard time about using thm in a game?

I either play people I've known for 10+ years, or who come into the gaming store I work at, so no. People insisting on everything being a GW model is one of my barometers for if I think I'll enjoy playing them or not.

Dragonlover

I either play people I've known for 10+ years, or who come into the gaming store I work at, so no. People insisting on everything being a GW model is one of my barometers for if I think I'll enjoy playing them or not.

Dragonlover

Good barometer!

• 5 weeks later...

Arise, o thread!

So, I finally got hold of some superglue, and a bout of cold-driven insomnia led to me utilising it. I built five bolter guys to finish off the Havoc squad which was boring but necessary, but I also built Procel Vassago, my Huron counts-as. Although it has just occurred to me I should have put a lightning claw on him, not a power fist. Ah well, I still think it looks cool. If anyone complains I'll pull the archaeotech defense.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g79/Dragonlover63/SDC10560.jpg

Anvil Industries body, MKII arm and power fist, Spear of Vulkan. Went together like a dream.

Dragonlover

Here's Alpha Squad, along with Vassago. I'm probably gonna build the other two squads then just paint all the guys that need painting in one stretch, because the weather is pretty naff and I predict rain at the worst possible moment for spraying.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g79/Dragonlover63/SDC10567.jpg

Dragonlover

• 3 weeks later...
Right, no new updates for this post, I have a bunch of stuff either undercoated or basecoated. This is, however, a plea for advice. 

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g79/Dragonlover63/SDC10545.jpg

The above picture is my Havoc squad from upthread. It has no highlights, because I hate edge highlighting but don't understand any other way of doing so. I've been thinking about the fact I don't highlight and how I've kinda justified with the 'just game pieces' argument, but it's ringing kinda hollow. Like, it's serviceable, but this 9 Legion thing is meant to be the ultimate expression of my hobby. Serviceable feels a bit crap when put like that.

So, Frater, I ask you for advice. How would you go about highlighting the above colour scheme? For reference, the current scheme is Macragge Blue washed with Druchii Violet for the armour, then Warpstone Glow? (I think) washed with Orkhide shade for the green. The metal is Boltgun washed with Devlan Mud.

Thanks in advance!

Dragonlover

Personally, when I'm not sure which colour to use I go for a default of adding a light grey or light blue grey to the colour I'm highlighting. I find it gives the highlights a more uniformed look.

See, this is my problem with highlighting. I'm reading those links, and I'm just like 'This seems like way too much messing about to do on every guy'.

I can't work out if I'm freaking out because I've never done it before and it's new and scary and out of my painting comfort zone, or if I genuinely don't want to do it. Might try a test model, I've got a bunch of 2nd ed starter guys in a box I'm not doing anything with.

Thanks for the links, btw!

Dragonlover 

Not a problem. Have a look on a site called tutofig. Loads of tutorials on there. Worst thing is that the typical GW base, shade, edge is the quick way.

• 1 month later...

So, ETL is here. I've pledged a 15-man squad with some plasma gunners, and I've decided screw it, I'm just gonna jump in and highlight the lot. If I don't like it, then I just won't do it any more and there'll be some paintscheme variation.

Here's the pic:

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g79/Dragonlover63/IMG_0013.jpg

Dragonlover

I've been waiting for the ETL, by the time I got everything sprayed it was only a couple of weeks away and I didn't want to get myself sidetracked by building something different in the meantime.

So I just did the highlights, didn't actually take that long. Gonna tidy a few of them up because I've got to go over the base blue on a few guys. You think spraycans would get everywhere, but nope.

It's tricky to tell in the pics, but trust me, they're there:

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g79/Dragonlover63/IMG_0015.jpg

Dragonlover

Short bursts works well. I'll be using the two primer technique (white over black) for my brighter colour models but a dark blue would be good for Night Lords.

Cool to see. 

One option you have with highlighting is to just do prominent edges. Like head, shoulders, top of back pack etc. That is if its doing you head in. Might look crap though I'm not the best painter.

Also those black Ops guys look cool. 

That's pretty much what I'm doing Yogi, I'm just doing the arms as well because why not. I've got four more guys to touch up the basecoat on and then I'll hit them all with the wash.

Dragonlover

What you can try is to look at an angle from above the model and rotate it to ser where light from above will hit and highlight those areas.

Ok, so, the purple wash has gone on to this first squad. Next step is all the green bits. I'm trying to work out what bits of the gun to paint green to keep continuity with the Havocs, might just do the whole thing other than the muzzle.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g79/Dragonlover63/IMG_0016.jpg

And, for a laugh and because he was sitting on my worktable, one of the first marines I ever painted, 16-odd years ago:

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g79/Dragonlover63/IMG_0018.jpg

The silver blob is supposed to be a teardrop shape. I think they were called the Crimson Tears and were a Blood Angel successor. Ah, the follies of youth. At least I undercoat now.

Dragonlover

Hey man figures looking great. Highlighting is extra work but it really does make the army pop. Again the point is to have fun so if it's not your thing screw it lol. I'm trying to teach myself nonmetal metal which is pretty hard but I'm more a modeler / painter nowadays no play groups near me / kid lol. I just got an order of anvil stuff and I think it looks great. Got the medieval stuff for a set of havocs I'm building. Keep going looking forward to more

Archived