Skrundles Chaos Kitbashes :- khorne daemon centaur

Skrundle87

Nonsense! You'll be amazed by how easy it is to make it work! All my painting recipes basically boil down to really simple approaches as well as a bit of smoke and mirrors ;) I am far too lazy and clumsy to try anything truly complicated, trust me ;)

I like the colour though. Just wish it looked smoother, I've never worked with glazes, how likely are they to blend the splotchyness?

I do plan however to go more natural in colour for the marines. Wanted the daemonic flesh to look slightly unnatural

Well, the model is clearly getting more and more awesome all the time! Great job so far! Let me point out some things that I think could improve it even further:

1. You're on a good way with the sword, but I think it could use a more defined edge highlight with an even brighter version of the colour. Granted, you'll need a measure of control with your brush to get the effect right, but it's really not that difficult: Use the sides of the brush - not the tip! - to go along the sides of the sword and create the effect. You could also have it become slightly brighter towards the tip (or rather: tips) of the blade by slowly adding more white to the mix.

2. Another thing you might want to dry is to use a mix of purple and red washes for a second, more controlled treatment of the fleshy parts: Instead of just adding the was on top of everything, use it in the recesses. By mixing red and purple, you should get a really convincing look of bruised skin. Plus working a wash like that into the recesses will add more depth to the flesh.

3. I also think the bone parts would profit from a final highlight with a brighter bone colour.

Granted, all of these steps are completely optional (and can feel like a bit of a drag to get right). But you're gunning for a standout piece here, and after all the work you put in, you'll want this guy to look his best -- trust me!

Oh, and one last thing. This is mostly negative, I am afraid, but the base really isn't working for me: It's far too plain, and the chaos star actually makes it even worse in my eyes. Personally speaking, I would at least go for several different sizes of rubble (for example, by combining different sizes of cork, modelling sand etc.). As a matter of fact, a base of this size could profit from some more involved elements: a piece of wall, a fallen enemy, or what have you. Again, this may seem like a drag, but you'll be astonished to see the difference it makes in the end!

So yeah, it's shaping up to be an amazing piece, make no mistake! I hope this doesn't come across as negativity -- I just think going the extra mile here would be an investment that's going to pay off tenfold!

I have to echo pretty much everything Kraut suggested. Especially when it comes to the base, the model itself is such an involved conversion it's a shame to mount it on such a plain base, I like the idea of the chaos star but I'd rather see it scorched into the ground around some loyalist vehicle or armour debris or even just some more rubble etc.

I think as well if you're going to take Krauts advice re the sword tip highlights it could look pretty good on the shoulders as well just not as bright as the sword. That could show some infernal light coursing through the armour of the beast.

Not trying to bring you down buddy but this little extra work could have a massive effect on the overall look of the model.

Look forward to the next update.

I think that he/it looks awesome! I especially like the arm mounted weapons, I may end up using this idea when I am putting together my NDK.

I agree that adding rouble to the base would be great, perhaps even some Space marine body parts...

Thanks for all the advice guys, I too am not overly happy with the base I threw it together last night and every time I look at it I think that it's a bit plain, I'd still like to include the symbol in the base somehow. I'm finding the base really difficult as I've never really done base conversions and don't have a lot of loyalist scrap to throw down, other than a few marines.

@krautscientist - don't stress, this is exactly what I was after at this point of the model the real nitty gritty bits. As long as I don't get told it looks like crap I'm happy haha. I'll be sure to give all those things a crack

@ biohazard as I said to krautscientist I'm happy to have the critisisms, cheers

@ grimm blade. I think that's just about my only feasable option, to add some more rubble maybe remove the large bit and throw in sone marine corpses

So I've been thinking thismorning that I'm still a little dissapointed that this fella is way to large to be a daemon Prince then I had this thought

http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af171/skrundle87/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0292_zpskf3ysfxq.jpg

So this will be my next project, daemon Prince / dreadnought conversion, also by doing this I should have spare dreadnought pieces to destroy and bury in rubble on the defiler/dreadknight base

So now that my dreadknight/dediler project is almost done I've started beginning the modelling side of my next piece as the name suggests its a dreadnought/daemon Prince conversion. Very early stages but here it is

http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af171/skrundle87/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0294_zpsq1znduhj.jpg

Any thoughts thus far?

It looks pretty cool so far, the armour plate on his face how about moving that down so it's covering his mouth with his eyes peering over it like a face mask? Or if you want to keep his eyes covered there's a couple of pretty cool looking visors in one of the ork boxes. They're worth checking out. ;) After seeing the Defiler progress I know you can make this look awesome as well.

Archived