What 2014 will bring

Theduke08

So it's pretty much been confirmed that Asdrubael Vect has been removed from the Codex. As we know, this was an older model with the older-style Incubi models. Dark Eldar also have no LoW choice in their Codex.

Conspiracy Theories:

• Available in a Supplement
  • Available through White Dwarf
  • Gone!

For BA, four of our models are old. Can you see any being retired (remember, it happened to Njall in the fourth edition) or appearing in a Supplement?

If we get the rumoured Flesh Tearers Supplement, I can see Seth going there. If we get a DC Supplement, I can see anyone from Astorath/Lemartes/DC Tycho/Moriar appearing there.

Whilst I'm not overly keen on the "DLC" (downloadable content - it's a gaming term for getting extra stuff like expansions/mods/etc) approach that GW are doing, we should probably accept and prepare for it.

Considering now how far the BA release has dragged on, have you changed your ideas about we will get?  

Unfortunately GW seems to have taken an cue from EA and are really trying to wring very cent from new codex releases.

We are seeing a new pattern to the Codex releases where the main release is frankly gutted, bland and weak, followed by a useful and better supplement to make the army playable. The main SW 'dex was okay, but the dark eldar release and orks seem to depend heavily on the extra rules for balance. 

With this new trend of 'mandatory' day one DLC, what will be put in ours? 

All DC and all SG armies seem like a good candidate. More than 3 dreads? 

Lol, talk about having the same idea at the same time! :p

our models are old. Can you see any being retired (remember, it happened to Njall in the fourth edition) or appearing in a Supplement?

None of ours are 'old' like Vect was 'old'. The sculpts predate him but Vect was part of that old DE lineup that has been phased out. 

Njal did get a new model in 4:th didn't he? 

Anyway, I suspect that if they remove some model it's only because we get a new sculpt or because it's not in the rules, and the last point doesn't apply to BA. Any changes will be related to formations, points and supplements.

Great minds and all that ;)

As for Njal, I think he got his TDA incarnation when he returned with the 5th edition.

As for changing my ideas, I'm still going with my suggestions a couple of pages back. Doesn't mean I'm not concerned though as I expect something to come out of "left-field".

Our only FOC breaking stuff is Astorath + DC and Dante + SG, those will get formationed (yes, that's a verb now) . Whether in a supplement or a dataslate I wouldn't care to guess other than it'll be the option GW thinks will get more money (probably a supplement, then).

Do we think the likes of Corbs and Lemartes will still be unit upgrades or that they'll be units in their own right again?

I am struggling to see how they'll pull the shenanigans they have with other codices with ours. They'll find something stupid to do, no doubt, but they might have to get inventive.

Maybe they'll reintroduce Red Thirst rules that mean all your heavy support units just run at the enemy mindlessly at random (because it never seemed to effect something you wouldn't mind skipping a turn of shooting).

Back in the day when Red Thirst was that, the Dark Angels has their version which was something along the lines of "on a D6 roll of 1, the unit wouldn't move". The current version, Grim Resolve makes them Stubborn and makes them unable to fail a morale check on purpose (i.e. our weapons are useless).

What I'm trying to say is that I don't see us returning to a random roll for anything anytime soon.

Don't know about that, 6th and 7th have all been about those random rolls. It's almost easier to say what things you don't roll for these days. 

Bar psychic powers, I wouldn't say this is the really case for Space Marines' special rules.

I'll have a go at some predictions based on the 7th codexes so far.

HQs

Named HQs :-

Price drop across the board.

One will move to LoW slot.

Mephiston or Dante will get a new sculpt.

Possibility of a model with an old sculpt will be removed.

Dante won't make Sanguinary Guard troops.

Astorath won't lift the DC restriction

Non-name HQs

Librarians get a significant price drop to bring them in line with SM/DA. BA specific Psychic table with Wings as Primary

Captains. Brought in line with SM/DA, many more options.

Reclusiarch. Points drop, otherwise unchanged

Honour Guard - As per SM with BA gun options. Possible new shared kit with ASM.

Elites

Sanguinary Guard. Points drop, otherwise unchanged

Sanguniary Priests. Removed from elites section to become unit upgrades. Buffs no longer work as a bubble, constrained to unit only. Unsure about Corbulo

Furioso Dreads. Slight points drop, otherwise unchanged

Libby Dreads. Significant points drop, remain as ML2. Access to BA specific psychic table.

Terminators. If no new kit, points drop. If new kit - points drop, new BA only gun, new Terminator unit type

Chaplain/Sternguard/Techmarine - As SM/DA

Troops

Assault Marines. If no new kit - through the GW blanderiser to become the same as SM/DA. If new kit - Points drop, new BA specific gun.

Tacticals - As SM/DA

Scouts - As SM/DA

Death Company. Jump Packs get a significant points reduction, otherwise unchanged. Restrictions on number of DC lifted under a DC specific formation or supplement.

DC Dreads - Moved to elites, restrictions as before.

Fast Attack

Rhino/Razorback/Drop Pod - Available as Fast Attack options as well as Dedicated Transports. Rhino/Razor keep Fast, Razoback gets a points increase but cost of guns dropped to match those of SM. New Razorback kit with all the gun options.

Bikes/Attack Bikes/Land Speeder/Scout Bikes/Vanguard Vets - As SM. Vanguards loose their BA specific Heroic Intervention.

Baal Predator. Price drop on some gun options

Storm Talon as per SM codex

Heavy Support

Land Raider. Available as Heavy Support choice, othewise unchanged. Up in the air if still a dedicated transport

Dreads - As per SM codex

Stormraven - As per SM codex. Missiles now AP2

Vindicator - Unchanged

Predator - Points increase, some gun options reduced in cost

Devs - As per codex SM, gain Skyfire for 10pts

Whirlwind - Points drop

Do we think the likes of Corbs and Lemartes will still be unit upgrades or that they'll be units in their own right again?

In SW codex, Arjak and Lukas became Independent Characters, rather than upgrades, but can only join certain units.  

What's the consensus on Honor Guard with jump packs? I fear GW might roll Sanguinary Guard into the Honor Guard role.

What about the anti-air variants? I think GW will keep somethings from Codex: Space Marines out of the Blood Angels. I don't see much hope for a Storm Talon personally.

Hahahahaaaaa!

What's the consensus on Honor Guard with jump packs? I fear GW might roll Sanguinary Guard into the Honor Guard role.

What about the anti-air variants? I think GW will keep somethings from Codex: Space Marines out of the Blood Angels. I don't see much hope for a Storm Talon personally.

I don't think we will get the Talon, but possibly the AA tanks as they are newer kits.

*dies of laughter at colossal meesup* GW seem to do this alot with the ebook codexes, i have seen this happen with the GK book as well

HG with jump packs are one of BA's unique units. They will stay.

In the last codex, the SG were specifically differentiated from the HG both in terms of models and rules. They will stay apart.

HG with jump packs are one of BA's unique units. They will stay.

In the last codex, the SG were specifically differentiated from the HG both in terms of models and rules. They will stay apart.

I would be surpirsed if HG and SG were joined in a new codex.

I don't think we will get the Talon, but possibly the AA tanks as they are newer kits.

Do we want the talon? It lasts longer now with improved jink, but the damage output is a little low.... hmmm.

Not really, I don't even mind if we don't get the AA tanks, but options are always nice I suppose. I'm just looking forward to improved costing really (hopefully!)

Is there an Honor Guard box set that has jump packs? That's one reason why I fear they'll go away despite the SG current background. I could see a new box that contains a new assault squad spruce, perhaps with some extra bits to make jump pack honor guard, or a new unit, but without the main marine codex having access to the "fancy" options, I fear I am wish listing.

Looking at the main marine codex I see honor guard squads with artificer armor. Iirc, only SG have that in the current Blood Angel codex. A retconnned SG wouldn't surprise me in the least.

I'm not too keen on the storm talon. I believe the Blood Angels versions of several flyers hint at no new flyer options. I doubt the stalker and its variant will be attractive to me, but it is new kit to sell. Nothing seems too unique to them to prevent their inclusion in Codex Blood Angels.

I'm also expecting Astorath and the other death company themed units to get spun into a supplement. Might as well have Blood Angel players pay for two books what we used to get in a free PDF. :)

Archived