Of Men, Gods and Daemons (update 5/9/15)

El-Diablo

Oh hells no. I spent four years in college with a roommate in the fashion program. Black is *never* last season. Black is literally the only color that doesn't change seasons. tongue.png

Cheers guys, much appreciated.

Once i've knocked out the current batch of Death Guard i'll finish the last 2 members of that Chosen squad, including the Champion and another plasma gun. Problem is i've been looking at the Sons of Horus Reaver Squad with an idea to adding a few to the force. I've got a feeling this might get expensive pinch.gif

come on stay with the DG, its in the blood!

very nice BL by the way. I have to admit I do love the look of them even if I'm not too keen on their story. You are definitely a very talented painter

You have a great body of work on display here! As I was scrolling through the thread I thought that your tagline could be "Come in for the Burning Brand conversion, stay for the excellent painting!". Keep up the good work!

Cheers guys. Hoping to have the second pair of terminators finished tonight, then it's just a few loose ends to tie up before the Contemptor....

Come to the heresy brother biggrin.png

Already have. Did I mention there are some Death Guard to go with my Death Guard? ;)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/El-Diablo/6%20-%20Pre-Heresy%20Death%20Guard/DeathGuardTacticalCommand_zpsab12be90-1.jpg

Nice! There aren't a whole lot of color schemes that I think look good on the MK2 plate. I think it has something to do with the odd Sonic the Hedgehog viewplate thing instead of actual eye lenses. 

Your's looks great though!

Cheers guys. I've got some plans for the 30k 14th to come (like the Grave Wardens that turned up last week) but for now im concentrating on their 40k incarnation.

Finished up the second batch of Terminators over the last couple of days, once again procrastination getting the better of me and adding at least a day or two to the total time that wasn't needed. 

While I was at it I threw together a Reaper Terminator to round out the squad. Had some minor conversion work to add the boils and texture to the armour, as well as removing the blade on the autocannon to keep the visual link with the rest of the squads ranged weapons.

While basing the Terminators I though it'd be a good idea to get the Black Legion test figs based up to see how they look. I still can't help but think they are missing something but im not sure what. Something else im going to look at with a further test is a different colour on the fleshy areas, something a little more muted as the red has a tendency to pull your eyes away from the other details as they are the brightest areas of the figure.

C&C welcome as always

I used to work in veterinary surgeries and the tiny maggots in the recesses of the armor are absolutely spot on to really bad infestations in animals wounds etc.

It's giving me flashbacks!!

Love the green armor, super simple scheme but its really effective.

Keep up the good work.

Midian, I am amazed at how you get the bright terminator above to be so damn dirty and grimey with the washes. Would you mind posting up how this is done please? I'm most intrigued as to when you do the highlighting too, is this before and after washing?

As I've said before, great stuff. If you have any tips for my own DG please feel free to swing by my thread

I used to work in veterinary surgeries and the tiny maggots in the recesses of the armor are absolutely spot on to really bad infestations in animals wounds etc.

It's giving me flashbacks!!

Love the green armor, super simple scheme but its really effective.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers. Strangely enough my wife is a Veterinary Nurse so i've seen some crazy stuff myself. Then there was the new years eve duty she was on where I helped re-wire a cat's jaw as 'i'd had more practice with wire and pliers'. Crazy times.

Midian, I am amazed at how you get the bright terminator above to be so damn dirty and grimey with the washes. Would you mind posting up how this is done please? I'm most intrigued as to when you do the highlighting too, is this before and after washing?

As I've said before, great stuff. If you have any tips for my own DG please feel free to swing by my thread

No problem Disease. To be honest it's the two washes that turn it that dark. The armour highlights go on before the washing, but they are quite bright to begin with. Must admit i've not had a proper look over your own DG yet, i'll go and fix that now ;)

This is the recipe in full, from start to finish. I do everything in this order otherwise I find I miss a step before the washes. Just makes things a bit easier when I hit a rhythm.

Over a black

undercoat

Armour

Baescoat armour with Gretchin Green (GW)

Drybrush with Rotting Flesh (GW)

Drybrush small amount of Ivory (Vallejo) around heads/faces

Basecoat ribbed armour joints Black Grey (Vallejo)

Pipes (fleshy)

Basecoat Tanned Flesh (GW)

Drybrush/layer Elf Flesh (GW)

Use Tallarn Flesh (GW) as mid-stage for very large

pipes

Metals

Basecoat steel metals (armour and weapons) Gun Metal

(Army Painter)

Blades get NMM style highlights using Mithril Silver

(GW) and Steel (Vallejo Model Air)

Basecoat gold areas Tin Bitz (GW) then layer Shining

Gold (GW)

Weapon Cases

& Grips

Basecoat weapon casings Black

Edge Highlight Codex Grey (GW)

Basecoat weapon grips Dryad Bark (GW)

Boils & Pustules

Basecoat Blood Red (GW)

Layer Sunburst Yellow (GW)

Skulls/Bones/Horns/Tusks etc

Basecoat Dheneb Stone (GW)

Severed head trophies

Basecoat Elf Flesh (GW)

Eyes

Basecoat Blood Red (GW)

Wash entire figure with Devlan Mud (GW) then Gryphonne Sepia (GW)

Shade rivets on steel metals with Badab Black (GW)

Highlights

Bone areas - Dheneb Stone (GW), add white for subsequent layers

on larger areas

Boils - Sunburst Yellow (GW)

Eyes - Layer Blood Red (GW) then Wild Rider Red (GW)

Weapon Grips - Dryad Bark (GW) add white if too dull

Flayed Flesh - Thinned Elf Flesh (GW)

Steel Metals - Chainmail (GW)

Gold Metals - Shining Gold (GW), Gold (Vallejo Model Air) on

large areas

Skin

Basecoat Astronomican Grey (GW)

Add white for several highlight stages

Glaze with thinned Leviathan Purple (GW), Baal Red

(GW), Asurmen Blue (GW) and Athonian Camoshade (GW) until desired colour is achieved.

Reapply highlights and glaze as required

Use glazes on any flayed/severed heads

Weathering

Gold metals - Nihilakh Oxide (applied direct to

recesses, not washed)

Steel/weapon casings - FW Rust weathering powder mixed

with white spirit. Thin layers in recesses.

Bases

Small patches of 'rough sand' mix

Normal sand

Wash W&N Burnt Umber ink

Drybrush XV-88 (GW)

Lighter drybrush Zandri Dust (GW)

Paint rim Rhinox Hide (GW)

Wow. Thanks, that's immensely helped me. biggrin.png

No problem ;)

Finished up the Reaper yesterday so though it was time for his vanity shots and one with the rest of the squad.
Next up for this lot will be a converted Contemptor, though i've got a Primarch to paint first. He's a Traitor so i'll throw him in here while im at it.

The brass is pretty simple. Basecoat with Tin Bitz then layer with Shining Gold. It then gets two washes, first with Devlan Mud, then Gryphonne Sepia. It's then highlighted with Shining Gold then VMA Gold before the recessed areas get hit with Nihilakh Oxide.

Had a couple of non-B&C legal commission taking my time up the last week or so, now it's time to do something a little more suitable. While not part of my Chaos force, the next project is technically a Traitor so gets thrown in here too. Working on a Lorgar commission for a chap at my Gaming Club. The armour at this point is done, just the details left before moving onto the head and base.

Oh pretty! Is your recipe for Lorgar's bronzey/brass color the same for your Nurgle terminators? It looks worn, but well maintained, like it's ancient and has seen a lot of use. I really like it!

Oh pretty! Is your recipe for Lorgar's bronzey/brass color the same for your Nurgle terminators? It looks worn, but well maintained, like it's ancient and has seen a lot of use. I really like it!

Cheers Flint. Lorgar's brass is different to the Death Guard - basecoat is Runelord Brass with a wash of Devlan Mud. From there it got a thin Sepia wash followed by some selective washes of Druchi Violet to get some purple into the shadows (only because im trying to copy Forge World's paintjob). Highlights are done first with Runelord Brass then Vallejo Model Air Gold.

Archived