++ The Murderers' Call - A Night Lords Community ++

Flint13

That's the beauty of it, Zharost never touched Sevatar. Sevatar is a close combat monster, but this does a perfect job of highlighting his primary weakness while keeping him from being super OP. You don't have to worry about that chainglaive when the person wielding it cannot move. But tow-may-toe, tah-mah-toe. Some will like it, some will not. Just as long as we keep civil, or as civil as a Night Lord can get, eh? :wink:

I dunno... Sevvy still made Fel vomit up portions of his own lungs with psyker backlash, and he's not even really aware of his own psykic potential.

Makes me wonder how awesome Sevatar would be as a warrior if instead of repressing his talents, they had been cultivated and flourished in the 8th legion Librarius.

Well... Suppose we can't have *the* combat monster. That's Sigismund's bag ^_^

Edited by Flint13

Yeah, but how often would Sevatar actually be able to count on a power that he willfully suppresses to instinctively surge?

That was kind of the thing, it just happened and quite possibly, this one time. The bigger part of the scene was that Zharost didn't even know what happened. Which tells me that Sevatar being a psyker is something only he and Curze knew and that the Sin-Eater had to have found out while poking around in Curze's head. Which would mean that Sev never touched the Librarius. Talk about easter egg galore.

So finally got my light box sorted (Thanks plasmaspam for the tips) check out those runes (click picture for more) its good to be Midnight Clad!

http://i932.photobucket.com/albums/ad165/Liamgregg1988/Night%20Lords%20WIP/PraetorZaqarShowcase1_zps6d4f61cb.jpg

I only paint by brush, mainly because im to lazy to learn to air brush. Dryad Bark and then good old Boltgun Metal it wasn't so hard and was nice seeing as I don't need to paint Iris just wide black pupils on the Night Lords. 

So brothers I have a query.  As I just was thumbing through Shadow Knight again I came across the part where Talos is described as "a teenage boy, and the rifle is heavy in his hands" and it got me thinking.  I'm very much interested in differences between legion brothers from the Heresy/GC to those who came after as those warbands who could tried to recoup their losses but I never really gave much thought to the in between period and how these young men would be raised and trained on board to become Astartes.  Or more importantly how they would gain real combat experience while serving their lord.

If one were to want to paint a model(s) for paintings sake to keep on the shelf or to try and shoe-horn in a reasonable count as how might the VIII legion go about initiates?

The 8th always struck me as a legion that would forcibly reap a world of eligible inductees to feed thru a meat grinder of an initiation.

In the A DB trilogy, they use the children of the shipboard serfs as experimental pre-Astartes as well.

I can see spending human lives like bolt shells to reap the best cut of survivors.  We have an example of Night Lords using chem weapons to force survivors to fight for space in survival shelters and then collecting the useful survivors after but I find it hard to see them doing something similar after already going through the trouble of adding the other heart, the ossmodula, larraman's, etc.

Now I remember the bit with Variel's apothecarion but that was just a bunch of boys in tanks I'm assuming going through the stages of implantation and development.  They wouldn't walk out combat ready Astartes?  Or would they?  I suppose indoctrination might be good enough.

Well, we have a few examples of them mostly kidnapping children from the worlds they attack(Massacre; The Masters, Bidding) as well as one example of them harvesting a dying world where they would gather all the children they could, attack the children for one night, and then round up any promising prospects from the survivors. It was a short story back in like the first "Of the Space Marines" anthology IIRC.

And of course , the aforementioned example from the A D-B series where they planned to use the unmutated children of the serfs they kidnapped from Hell's Iris as future neophytes.

As for training, I'd imagine they would stick the neophytes in sone of the most grueling situations they could imagine. Let them grow and hone their killing instinct and take on its own shape instead of doing something structured like sword drills and close combat katas.

That's nice.

Noctem cool, it looks good on that mini. Was just curious cause I'd considered trying out a white marker or something for easy freehand.

Something like the Gundam Pens would be easier, if not use the Psycho brush from Army Painter its sturdy and small enough for that detail.

The aspect which puzzles me most about the creation of new chaos space marines is the psycho-indoctrination part which is as imperative as the gene forging phase for a successful astartes...

As for NL, their geneseed is supposed to be very pure so the success rate for the implantation should be high. As for the subjects for this implantation, I think that even a small raid on some world in the Eye or of some hive/feral/death world would yield the needed number of slaves, already proficient in death dealing.

So i've read the story. Yeah.... i can see why people said it's too short. it is.

My opinion,,,, not a bad concept. Certainly gives me something to work off with my up coming force, i rather like the lore of members of that paticularly terran born night lords. I can't help be get mental images of the carcharadon astra when they describe the base-line humans though.

Executed very well, perhaps the next few night lord stories will begin to develop the idea's put forwards... or another group if the end was what i thought it was.

-skrall

The aspect which puzzles me most about the creation of new chaos space marines is the psycho-indoctrination part which is as imperative as the gene forging phase for a successful astartes...

As for NL, their geneseed is supposed to be very pure so the success rate for the implantation should be high. As for the subjects for this implantation, I think that even a small raid on some world in the Eye or of some hive/feral/death world would yield the needed number of slaves, already proficient in death dealing.

It's not the acquisition of potential initiates that I'm caught up on that seems run of the mill.  Picking up gangster juves because they all ready know how to kill is common enough even over on the Loyalist side (Imperial Fists recruiting from Necromunda comes to mind).

It's more on how they're inducted that seems to be running through my mind today.  I guess the main issue I'm having is that when I think of Recon in the GC era I think of the Astartes that fulfill that role and here this morning I see a paragraph in an ADB short on what appears to be a Scout in more of the sense that loyalists have now.  Astartes youths that haven't gone through their full induction or received all of their implants yet.  And some part of me wants to know how or if traitors would still follow that pattern.

Phantom I think it would vary according to each warband. Some might have the resources to allow their newly implanted youths fight in minor roles like scouts, while others would want to protect the precious geneseed they have left and put them in power armor straight away.

A lot will vary from Warband to Warband and whether they recruit from renegades and traitors already wandering the Eye of Terror or genuinely look to swell their ranks with a fresh influx. For the Night Lords, it will likely be a combination of circumstances/resources/enthusiasm. If a Warband were to have the viable recruiting pool, the genetic raw materials and the fleshcrafters skilled enough to make the most of what they had then that's the first part of the battle won. Remember most of the Apothecaries who are still knocking around from the GC/HH had a different approach to creating new Astartes - back then it was all about getting them gene-forged and into a combat role, if some died, who cared: some had recruiting rights to Terra and Segmentum Solar, the vast majority had their own homeworlds in addition to titles and rights of rule over world's conquered/absorbed during the Great Crusade itself so there was a massive pool of recruits available so a fair few of the Legions wouldn't be too fussed if they lost a couple along the way. It would be hard to adapt that approach when most Warbands are more concerned with surviving than prospering. Talos notes Variel's survival rates as exceptional (about 140 or so out of 500) so that gives some idea of the process' mortality rate. 

I think the amount of indoctrination required would be on a much smaller scale than loyalist Chapters, by the time they've finished winnowing them out beforehand, only the most vicious and cunning will be ready to go through implantation although of course it will still take place - they need the psycho-conditioning required to actively take control of their extra organs and make the best utilisation from them and also assimilate general knowledge/Nostraman/tactics/ and whatever other information the Warband considers worthwhile cramming into their skull - piloting/astronavigation/philosophy etc.

So they've gone through all of that and have earned their midnight armour. To get them properly combat ready they'd probably be sent hunting through the lower levels of whatever ship or fortress they happen to inhabit. Talos' Warband certainly carried out the practice and would have put their new initiates through the same thing  to get them nice and sharp. Although of course training is no substitute to real warfare so you'd imagine they'd choose a fairly easy target and blood them all whilst taking necessities from wherever it is as well.

Hey guys,

Since we now know more about Night Lords and the effect bright lights like plasma fire has on their eyes, wouldn't it make sense for the legion to not only not use lights on vehicles but to use Light Shielding on weapons?

I believe so anyway so im going to start adding it to Volkite and Plasma Weapons.

http://i932.photobucket.com/albums/ad165/Liamgregg1988/Night%20Lords%20WIP/temporary_zps6ed6c469.jpg

When you paint them up just make it so light is escaping the edges of the shielding.

Edited by Noctem Cultor