++ AUGUSTUS b'RAASS ++ pre-heresy BRASS SCORPION p.247

Great update.

My vow is going slow thanks to me being so fussy, tired, and not at home this weekend. But I'm determined to at least complete two vows so need to get on with it.

Great update.

My vow is going slow thanks to me being so fussy, tired, and not at home this weekend. But I'm determined to at least complete two vows so need to get on with it.

Thanks Forte! I realize I have been severely lacking in my support of you and your WIP ETL thread, so I'm going over there right now and like and support the living hell out of it!:thumbsup:

Today I played my first game of 7th. 1500 points, including the finished titan. My opponent - a good friend - had a psyker, so he could use the new psychic rules, while I tried out how the titan worked. Interestingly it was a very well-balanced game. Beforehand I thought it was going to be a total massacre, but actually the plasma destructor and the double barreled laser destroyer had some real drawbacks. The psychic phase is SO much fun. I love the new rules. Elegant, balanced, the works. Very nice.

Hopefully on Sunday I can get some real pictures of the titan up..

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/WP_20140606_004_zpsef5a102c.jpg

40k...balanced...surely not!

I was actually referring solely to the psychic phase! lolz I agree. The titan was the only model making a difference. Normal foot soldiers don;t matter anymore. I long for a 2nd edition-like skirmish style 40k.

Man, that is such an awesome angle in your pic. The model really seems to have come together nicely! That metallic finish is spot on. 

I really want to see some good pics of the whole beastie all together. 

That Titan is sick. Gotta get some raw materials, but i'm gonna scratch build a Lucius pattern Warhound, hopefully i'll be able to "borrow" a few ideas from yours to make it look less blocky and plain.

Scratch build a titan? Man, that's gonna be an undertaking. I wish you luck!

That picture from the battle is just one big tease... Looking good though :thumbsup:

Dammit you're on to me :wink:  Tonight the right pics will be up hopefully!

Man, that is such an awesome angle in your pic. The model really seems to have come together nicely! That metallic finish is spot on. 

I really want to see some good pics of the whole beastie all together. 

Tonight your patience will be rewarded :thumbsup:

Edit: tomorrow...

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

*pushes up glasses with finger*

I believe I wush promished bigger picturesh? (You have to read that in your best geek lisp)

:wink:

I hate you so much right now. The stuff you're churning out is truly truly inspiring. Loving the attention to details on a model as large as the Warhound.

Aww! Thanks Fracture! I hate you too! :wink:  Thanks man, I'm glad I could return the favor! You did the same for me with that tank of yours, remember?

Today I discovered I cannot read. For some reason I did not know that one can only do five vows in the ETL. And here I was doing three consecutive low-points vows... Oh well. Luckily I saved one slot, whch will include all the models I can finish before I'll actually begin the vow.

The first is probably going to be the two Land Speeders, which I'll just start building - the ETL only disallows painting models before a vow is made, but does not disallow building your models before the previous vow is complete. Ha! 

I'm going to vow these as counts-as Autocannon Predators with a twin-bolter as they are the same points value as the actual speeders (75 pts each), but will play them as counts-as Blight Drones (150 ts each). Call me a hypocrite, but I just don't like too much corruption in my Astartes Company.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/WP_20140619_0011_zps617e8046.jpg

Hey everyone. Update time... I have a couple of projects running at the same moment. All are initially meant for the ETL. I still have a forgefiend to do for my fourth vow, but I'kinda lost my painting urge last week. Perhaps I blew it on the characters? Surely not, but there's something about the forgefiend model... I don't know.

Anyway, here's what I've been working on.

The speeders (counts-as Blight Drones). I assembled them using a different kind of two component glue than I usually use. My go-to glue for metal and resin is UHU Plus Endfest 300, which takes abut 24 hours to completely cure. It's great for titan legs and other contraptions that have significant strain, but for the smaller parts I bought UHU Plus Schnellfest, which cures in 30 minutes. It reeks of petroleum, but that is worth the reduced dry time!  

I love those old metal speeders, looking forward to seeing what you do with them.

Cheers mate! There's the added Night Lords symbol, which replaced the watcher in the dark DA motif. I don't think I'm going to do much more to the models themselves than add chains, flayed skin and some skulls - perhaps some on spikes. The most chaosifying will be done to the driver and gunner. I'm using the metal legs, but will be replacing the torso and the arms. The drivers will probably get weapons, but I'm not sure if that will be a chainweapon, a mace, an actual lance, a lightning claw or perhaps even a banner pole with an ensign. Thoughts?

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/WP_20140623_003_zpsf58f1248.jpg

Then, another contemptor finally arrived! Again I bought the Death Guard one, which I also used for my Contemptor Captain. After Silice Macellarius, I wanted something shooty. So this one will be armed with two butcher cannons. With eight S8 shots, BS4, A13 up front and a 4++ save against glancing hits, its even a viable unit at 245 points!

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/WP_20140623_004_zps56f4fe5e.jpg

There's a slight problem with fitting butcher cannons to a contemptor, however, as the contemptor weapon mounts are female, while the butcher cannons from the decimator range have male weapon mounts. So I used the roundy bits from the havoc launcher system to make female mounts. There's also some press-molded arm-connectors. I started to mix Milliput with Greenstuff for this and I have to say this is such a great combo. Green Stuff retains a certain flexibility but can be difficult to drill or sand, while Milliput is harder to sculpt and can be too rigid. Mixing the two in a 1:1 ratio results in a perfect sculpting material that retains the benefits from both products, while significantly reducing the drawbacks. It also cures faster than greenstuff. :-)

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/WP_20140623_006_zps8cfbf3b8.jpg

I removed the blades from the two butcher cannons, which will grace the stabilizer fins of my next character: a Sorcerer on a Disc of Tzeentch! Now, the Disc of Tzeentch upgrade gives +1 attack to the character and it become a Jetbike unit. So I thought I'd stay with the Night Lords fluff -no corruption- and just give the sorcerer an actual jetbike! Yay for that! The cool thing is I have one more FW Night Lords torso left, so this character will be a great recipient. :biggrin.: Of course, the aquilla will be replaced by a proper Night Lords symbol, and there's going to be tons of chains, skulls and flayed skin.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/WP_20140623_007_zpsc56c860b.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/WP_20140623_009_zpsd726f397.jpg

Feedback and ideas most welcome! Some of the best ideas for my latest models came from you guys, so I'm a very thankful recipient. Don't hold it in, spill please! :thumbsup: 

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

I just want to point out that I too have started mixing GS and Milliput and agree completely with it's awesomeness... So much win. Seriously. I still think it's way faster to just mix up a spot of GS for small jobs, but for bigger jobs this mix is perfect. Add to that the fact that you can safely sand it later to a very nice finish and there's nothing you can't do with it. Now maybe I should get in the habit of freezing a batch of pre-mixed balls to make it easier to use when I need it. 

I'm pretty excited to see this contemptor you're working on. Those cannons look great so far. 

And to Fracture I would say: It's easy to love those old speeders if you never had to try and glue them together. Oh. My. Lawd! One of the biggest pains I can remember ever assembling, and I haven't touched them since they first came out. AND I have a terrible memory. And THEN they fall apart so easily. They might look cool, as long as they're in someone else's collection. 

I've put a few of those speeders together and with pins didn't find them to bad. Better than the plastic ones who's top canopy never fitted properly.

Augustus - all those weapon options sound really cool apart from the lightning claw. For some reason I just don't think that would look as good as the others.

It will be interesting to see what you manage to do with all these things. I like the idea about the jet bike, sounds like the perfect way to stay fluffy and still get to use something more corrupted.

Cheers guys, thanks for your feedback.

Green Stuff and Milliput IS awesome. I'm never going back. Except maybe for fleshy trophies, as those require the sticky properties of pure greenstuff. I didn't have any problems whatsoever glueing the speeders together, so I don't identify with the comments about the kit from JeffTibbs and Fracture. I didn;t use any pinning. But I do think that superglue is NOT strong enough. These kits do need some heavy duty two component glue like UHU Endfest 300 or UHU Schnellfest. 

I did some work on the speeders today. Mostly cutting the upper bodies off the legs of the drivers and replacing them with chaos torsos and shoulder pads. Also bases. I like the clear Stems for them - will be using those for the jetbike too.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/WP_20140624_009_zpsbb177e24.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/WP_20140624_013_zpsc253bb43.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/WP_20140624_014_zps11806e18.jpg

Awesome love where the other Contemptor is going and the Scimitar touches are cool, brave using the old land speeders though surprised everyone fitted in lol :P